Our forward pack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Anyone that doesn't think our forwards were outstanding last night is kidding themselves. Our 'lesser lights' more than held there own against the star studded Roosters pack. And that's without Glenn & Choc and without Hasson for most of the game. Didn't we also finish with just 15 fit men? If you are a Manly supporter you should be nothing but proud of our forward pack.
Last night they were awesome!

A million dollars worth of backrow out last night.
I can tell you that grub Frank Paul wouldn't have had a saloon run like last night with choc and gift in the team.
These young guys have so much belief in them as the season goes on. Starling looks like a different player to what we saw earlier in the year.

Ryan said:
That being said, Starling mobility, and lateral defense was horrendous. He got easily, and I mean easily sidestepped by the other teams prop.

Honestly, he's not NRL ready yet. He just a pace or two off...doesn't mean he can't get better. He cost us a try against last night.

In fairness to him there was a massive hole in the middle at that point and he was left posted by his markers and A and B defenders. I challenge any prop to stop FPN with that much space and a head of steam. Also remember we were an interchange down which added to the fatigue. It looked bad but he has only missed 12 tackles all season (less than 1 per game on average) so it doesn't look like he has major deficiencies in that department.

I'm impressed that our no-name forwards got the job done but not overly impressed like others here.

Actually I am more highly impressed that the coaching staff have extracted all they can from our forwards and to have them believe in themselves.

Technical Coach said:
I'm impressed that our no-name forwards got the job done but not overly impressed like others here.

Actually I am more highly impressed that the coaching staff have extracted all they can from our forwards and to have them believe in themselves.

You are a hard man to please TC.

Technical Coach said:

Sorry TC, you know I'm not real bright. Your not overly impressed by our forwards but your impressed by our coaching staff for getting them where they are?

If only we could get our dagnabbit coaching staff to work harder we could probably do without players.

And nobody thinks we have the "best" forward pack in the comp, but I am very impressed with their dogged get the job done attitude ... sorry I forgot that's to the coach's credit.

Alan said:
Technical Coach said:

Sorry TC, you know I'm not real bright. Your not overly impressed by our forwards but your impressed by our coaching staff for getting them where they are?

If only we could get our dagnabbit coaching staff to work harder we could probably do without players.

And nobody thinks we have the "best" forward pack in the comp, but I am very impressed with their dogged get the job done attitude ... sorry I forgot that's to the coach's credit.

Not the best forward pack? We are still leading the competition though.

Yeah I might not be bright enough either...

I would've thought sitting on top of every other team to date would suggest we're the best team right now.

Our forwards have added significant contributions to that equation; and I'd hazard a guess they couldn't care less what armchair experts think.

To get the results out of the combined talents of our pack, that talent has to be there in the first place. And Tooves and Donny clearly know how to extract and multiply that potential.

I'll just keep believing, as I've done all year.

This morning I was talking to a mate who is a doggies fan (seriously he's actually a really good bloke....amazing I know!), but he was seriously impressed with our no-names and said how Tooves has done so well getting the likes of Horo, Lawrence, Starling, Lui...etc to hold their own against a star studded Roosters Forward pack.

The rest of the comp are sitting up and taking notice.

That is the point, they hold their own but they have to continuously play above and beyond all expectations to achieve this level, our backs and back row is our strengths--- up front we are lacking more so than previous years.

In saying that our back row has always been our strength combined with good tackle bust numbers from Matai, Tafua and D.Williams. Manly play more footy and don't just rely on forward momentum like say a Souths, we are not one dimensional but can still be caught out with a lack of grunt at times this year.

Melbourne have been doing it for years---- does not mean you can't win a GF this way but there are going to be times when we might get touched up when the offloads and roll on start to mount up.

The forwards we have are doing the job I am not knocking them but I don't feel as impressed as others here. Lucky Buhrer has stepped up to add another dimension and take a load off the go forward, something Glenn has been failing to do on most occasions on top of adding a hole running option.

bones said:
If only we weren't 16th in metres gained, we might have been higher on the ladder.

If we had had less byes would would have a chance of staying in 1st place.

Technical Coach said:

Your impressed, but not overly impressed??? Lol...

I'm very impressed by them and don't consider it overly impressed.

They are over performing. I could pull a TC and offer 'expert analysis' unless each runs for 200m but I'm a realist. Our forwards play to a system that makes up for some debt in talent but they do it well. They should all be proud.

I didn't expect them to be a better pack than 2013 but I think it is entirely possible they are.

Have a smell of 2008 about them.

A motley crew of rejects/reserve graders who worked as a unit that made League history :)

Stranger, Hall, Bryant, Perry, Ballin were dismissed by most :angel:

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6