Pre-Game Panthers v Manly [Round 6, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

44 12
Bluebet Stadium
08 Apr 2023 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I’ve been saying , they are still a very very good side BUT no way are they as frightening as they’ve been , they’ve lost a lot of good players.

Talk of 13+ is over the top ( based on our scores so far in this competition ).

Panthers should win , but I’m predicting it’ll only be by 4 or 6 ( maybe 7).
We’ll win a close one MFB. They look far less threatening on paper than other years. I’ve watched fairly well all their games so far and they are also less threatening on the field. Noting they smashed Canberra last week, but so did Newcastle the week before.
Manly 22
Penrith 14

This team made the Preliminary Final in 2021

Team One
Tom Trbojevic
Jason Saab
Brad Parker
Morgan Harper
Reuben Garrick
Kieran Foran *
Daly Cherry-Evans
Josh Aloiai
Lachlan Croker
Sean Keppie
Haumole Olakau'atu
Josh Schuster
Jake Trbojevic
Martin Taupau *
Dylan Walker *

Karl Lawton
Taniela Paseka

Is there any reason that the team below cannot make a Preliminary Final in 2023?

Team Two
T. Trbojevic
J. Saab
B. Parker
M. Harper
R. Garrick
J. Schuster
D. Cherry-Evans
T. Paseka
L. Croker
J. Trbojevic
H. Olakau'atu
K. Tuilagi *
J. Aloiai
K. Weekes *
K. Lawton
E. Bullemor *
S. Keppie

Particularly when we replace Harper with Koula, and have GCKT on the bench with S Fainu

Team Three
T. Trbojevic
J. Saab
B. Parker
T. Koula
R. Garrick
J. Schuster
D. Cherry-Evans
T. Paseka
L. Croker
J. Trbojevic
H. Olakau'atu
K. Tuilagi
K. Lawton

G Chan Kum Tong
E. Bullemor
S. Fainu
J. Aloiai

K. Weekes

*Players underlined in Team One left the club at the end of 2022. Players underlined in Team Two were their replacements in 2023.

Team Two is our lineup for this weekend against the Panthers.....
Hope you’re right, but this year is not Vlandyball like 2021. It’s tougher and we need to match it.

I think Saab is an important tool for us this week.

I know it's his first game back and you dont want to expect too much from him.

However, whether he is matching up on To'o or Turuva he is going to have a significant height advantage and I ln a game where we may not get a heap of chances I think its important to bomb to Saab as much as we can.

However, whether he is matching up on To'o or Turuva he is going to have a significant height advantage and I ln a game where we may not get a heap of chances I think its important to bomb to Saab as much as we can.
Bomb to our right side - Haumole is in that area too! As you say Panthers wingers aren't tall and neither is Tago, who is on that side I think.

Your point about not expecting too much is the most relevant. The type of injury he sustained can take over a year to repair properly. I'm sure many here have friends with a similar injury. I expect him to be very wary, tentative, His explosive pace may not appear for some time. We may be lucky but I'm not expecting much from him at this stage

Your point about not expecting too much is the most relevant. The type of injury he sustained can take over a year to repair properly. I'm sure many here have friends with a similar injury. I expect him to be very wary, tentative, His explosive pace may not appear for some time. We may be lucky but I'm not expecting much from him at this stage
And I reckon he'll be a bit hesitant jumping and landing for the expected bombs.

Agree. The bench is a perfect intro to first grade. Not sure he would handle the defensive demands of centre.
Nor having to make those terribly tough carries off our line, a big part of the modern three-quarter's role.

A few here seem to have wistful visions of Weekes as a centre dancing into space and wreaking havoc out wide, just doesn't happen much in today's game.

Even Koula has rarely got himself into space, in fact so far he has impressed more with his tough carries and defence than with his obvious attacking ability.

Weekes speed and evasion is best used against tiring behemoths in the middle, or at least that seems to be what the coaches think just now.

I like Weeks but not as a centre, just a bit light framed for mine. Great coming of the bench as that impact player or replacement FB, 5/8 or half back.
At 90kg he's actually bigger than Koula and Val Holmes, very close to some of the other top centres like Gagai. Size isn't the issue, just experience in defending there. But this can be learnt, especially as he usually defends at literally 1 position in from there (at 5/8). If Parker and/or Koula have longer term injuries, Turbo fit, and guys like Lawton and Gordie available, it seems strange to not unleash him out wide as opposed to putting someone like Harper in for several weeks. Also a little bizarre that Johns is higher up in the pecking order for back up half. Des used Cust in the middle and we could have used him these last few years. Keep a guy like Weekes in the middle for too long, and he will go to greener pastures. What a shame that would be considering our lack of quality in the outside backs department

Last edited:
At 90kg he's actually bigger than Koula and Val Holmes, very close to some of the other top centres like Gagai. Size isn't the issue, just experience in defending there. But this can be learnt, especially as he usually defends at literally 1 position in from there (at 5/8). If Parker and/or Koula have longer term injuries, Turbo fit, and guys like Lawton and Gordie available, it seems strange to not unleash him out wide as opposed to putting someone like Harper in for several weeks
Good points, just going on visuals Koula and Holmes do look bigger, but there you go. As I've said before think Sieb's prefers Weeks to be that impact player of the bench. Although, can see Weeks getting a shot at centre if Harper gets dominated by the Penrith centres.

It's fortuitous that all time top try scorer Ken Irvine (212 tries in 236 games) played in a different era, as he would have been written off as too small (78 kg, 173 cm) by many in this forum :)

Kaeo Weekes at 90 kg, 182 cm has a similar build to these outstanding speedsters:

Josh Addo-Carr 88 kg, 183 cm
Dane Gagai 92 kg, 182 cm
Val Holmes 90 kg, 185 cm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10