Parker to centre on Sun.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If he’s ready to play,good enough and is the best option,then you look at playing him,not because the team is 2-0 and can afford to give him a go,especially with the 3 matches that proceed the Eels (Not sure of his contract status and whether he’s allowed to play anyway)
There is always an element of unknown with young players, which is why coaches can be too conservative in their selections. He was taken to Vegas, and played well in the trials, so I think that shows he is not too far off in the club’s estimation. Agree you wouldn’t play a young guy for the sake of it, but at 2-0 and the team in form, I’d be happy for a less conservative selection to be taken in this instance.

It’s moot now anyway. Ray named in the 2, Tommy Talau on the extended bench with Parker.

Lehi Hopoate for me. We are 2-0 and can afford to give the young buck a go.
He looks the goods, upgrade him into the 30.

Has looked the better out of Talau, Ray Ray and Faulalo so far in the trials and NSW cup.

They've chosen Harper on the wing, I'd honestly just play Koula on the wing just to run rings around him.

• 👍
Reactions: max
There is always an element of unknown with young players, which is why coaches can be too conservative in their selections. He was taken to Vegas, and played well in the trials, so I think that shows he is not too far off in the club’s estimation. Agree you wouldn’t play a young guy for the sake of it, but at 2-0 and the team in form, I’d be happy for a less conservative selection to be taken in this instance.

I'm not sure that we have been too conservative though. In seasons past a lot of people wanted the likes of (Albert) Hopoate and Kaeo Weekes to be played even when we were losing matches. Then when they got a shot it transpired that they weren't yet ready for the rigours of first grade.

I'm optimistic about where we will finish this year BUT we need to make sure our best 17 are on the park each week. The points and points differential is going to be critical at the end of the year.

I'm optimistic about where we will finish this year BUT we need to make sure our best 17 are on the park each week. The points and points differential is going to be critical at the end of the year.
I agree with everything you say. What prompts me to want to give Hopoate a shot is that I don’t rate Ray so highly (I think we have seen his ceiling), and I wouldn’t move Garrick from the centres (so no Parker). Young Hoppa would therefore be in my best 17 this weekend, but there is clearly the element of unknown with him. It’s a risk i would be prepared to take.

Another perspective on this is that to win a premiership, you have to have your squad playing at an implied market value far greater than the salary cap. If you have a $100k rookie that can play to a $350k implied market value, that really helps (everyone else needs to play above or at their pay grade too). I don’t know whether Hoppa fills that criteria, but I’d be keen to see.

I don’t think Talau is really a winger, more a centre, and Ray is pretty limited in what he can do. It’s a shame we don’t have better young prospects waiting in the wings. It’s the kind of position you can afford to take a risk with and play an up and comer with speed and X factor. I don’t rate Talau, Vaega or Faulalo overly much at all. All three are pretty much NSW Cup standard.

Quite the preemptive judgement. Talau has only played one game and was solid and with week to week improvement should only get better, the base skillset is there.

Clayton hasn't made his debut yet so little harsh. I thought he showed good talent in the first trial against pretty much a full strength Roosters side.

Ray I agree is not a long-term option but is good enough to come in every once in a while to fill in a gap. He has a certain flair to him and provides energy and agression, and a packed out Commbank will only fuel that more. Would say he was one of the main contributors to that famous Melbourne win last year at Brooky. Even though he got sinbinned he had that right side of Melbourne absolutely rattled with some of his contact in only his 3rd game in first grade.

I don’t think Talau is really a winger, more a centre, and Ray is pretty limited in what he can do. It’s a shame we don’t have better young prospects waiting in the wings. It’s the kind of position you can afford to take a risk with and play an up and comer with speed and X factor. I don’t rate Talau, Vaega or Faulalo overly much at all. All three are pretty much NSW Cup standard.
I actually think Talau did pretty well on the wing up against a very good roosters backline. Scored a really good try and defended pretty well. I’m glad his injury isn’t as serious as first thought. We need him as cover for Saab. Not sure if he could play right winge or not but I’d rate him better than Paulo at this stage.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8