Partiality and the NRL Referee

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Look I don't like having to bag referees (of course anyone who starts a statement like that intends to do just that), but yes I have a major gripe about the refereeing system in the NRL. So what are the issues.

1. NRL referees don't seem to be sufficiently accountable. Players are carefully assessed, their fitness, their playing styles, their mistake rate, their infringement rate, their team work etc etc. Their stats are carefully monitored by their coach and so much of their career is dependent on their performances. Referees are probably assessed to a degree but it is obvious they have biases, conscious or subliminal, as can be seen in how differently teams are treated in different games. One ref hammers a team one week and the next week another ref can barely see fault. Its as if we have 21st century players with 1960's referees

2. The NRL continue to create discretionary rules, such as this ruck infringement rule, that results in 6 again. So many of these result from actions no different from most other plays, but the ref cherry picks, often for matters they wouldn't penalise. This exacerbates the pressure on a team if they are also getting caned in penalties. Its all to do with a Ref's whim and he is rarely brought to account for it. If the head of refs finally admit a mistake, it is really window dressing because the ref will rarely be dropped and it makes absolutely no difference to the outcome.

3. I am sure fans are becoming increasingly frustrated by what they see as consistent 50/50 decisions going to one side, and owing to these discretionary rules, a tendency in close fixtures for the ref to determine the outcome of a game. Penalties should be given for only blatant misdemeanours, not for petty issues like happens in RU. The game should be allowed to flow. The NRL is risking loss of support by allowing refs too much power.

Yeh I know Ye Olde Bear is being disturbed during his hibernation and looking for someone to snarl at and perhaps eat. But I bet if there was someone here who was watching most games and recording ref decisions, I suspect they would find refs are biased (maybe subconsciously), and the less discretionary power they have, the better the game will be.

It started when referees became employees of the only company that has a need for their services, a monosopy if you like ... and when you are totally dependent on that one company for employment ... you have a tend to do what the marketing dept tell you to do ..

Bring back a Referee's Assoc. funded by the NRL but with independent directors and management.

They get conned too easily by sides that push boundaries in a coherent and coordinated way.

There must be a way that they can be made to see that this is happening.

Melbourne do so much of it on so many fronts that fans are bewildered. In any 5 minute period you will see:

Clutching necks in mock agony, leaning over the play the ball, stepping sideways and off the mark in the play the ball, jumping into the fullback under a bomb, late 3rd tackler, the list is too frustrating to write.

Classic example of pre determine referee bias just happened. Jack Hetherington get sin binned for a high shot (which it wasnt) that you could guarantee that any Storm player last night wouldn't of. He got sent because of who he is. Referees go into games with a pre determined bias on players and teams. It's just so pissweak to watch.

No crowd is a factor as well (although the refs will say they are not influenced by the crowd, of course!). A noisy (and slightly biased) home crowd is a reasonable gauge of repeated offside or a forward pass at the games I've attended...

Refs should have to declare which team they have supported their entire lives ( they’d all have one ) and that referee should NEVER adjudicate a fans with that team playing.

Refs should have to rewatch every game , and go over every decision made ( or not made ) with an independent review committee.

We already have a match review committee , make them independent and they not only relook at player discretions but referee ones as well.

The fans deserve greater scrutiny of their decisions, I get they’ll make mistakes ( they are human ) but one sided refereeing is a blight on the game.

I think once Nrl told them one referee in a game against their wishes ,They became bigger prima donna's and think they are bigger than the game.
Nrl should fire them all and start retraining in the off season.

They get conned too easily by sides that push boundaries in a coherent and coordinated way.

There must be a way that they can be made to see that this is happening.

Melbourne do so much of it on so many fronts that fans are bewildered. In any 5 minute period you will see:

Clutching necks in mock agony, leaning over the play the ball, stepping sideways and off the mark in the play the ball, jumping into the fullback under a bomb, late 3rd tackler, the list is too frustrating to write.
You can add to your list that the scum we’re standing inside the 10m zone when Garrick took the penalty kick for us to lead.

You can guarantee Gee wouldn’t have done anything if he had missed.

No crowd is a factor as well (although the refs will say they are not influenced by the crowd, of course!). A noisy (and slightly biased) home crowd is a reasonable gauge of repeated offside or a forward pass at the games I've attended...
Except Brookvale. Somehow it's backwards land there.

A bit of topic here, but I was just thinking with all the crusher tackles we are seeing, especially the increased number of neck holders and milkers, how about outlawing reversing into the line, no backwards hit ups for the safety of the players, you can only run forwards, that would go a long way to getting rid of the crusher and protecting the players welfare at the same time.

A bit of topic here, but I was just thinking with all the crusher tackles we are seeing, especially the increased number of neck holders and milkers, how about outlawing reversing into the line, no backwards hit ups for the safety of the players, you can only run forwards, that would go a long way to getting rid of the crusher and protecting the players welfare at the same time.
The players doing this must have been watching Sivo as he’s been doing it ever since the rule was changed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8