Penalties given in tonight's game.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He said he can see the ball on the ground but went to check grounding, why?

This. So much this. Referees lately have been using the try or no try ruling to send it upstairs when they really have no idea what happened. It just comes back to the bunker making what is basically a benefit of the doubt call to whatever the incompetent referee guessed was the actual outcome. If the referee has no idea why can they not say I have no idea bunker can you make a decision on your 50 different camera angles as oppose to my eyesight that saw it at full speed while running.

Definitely A LOT of dud calls but we are still giving away a few dumb ones too. Kapow loves to give one away to help teams get out of their own end. Jake also loves that cheap one defending on our line early in the count to get a breather (which I'm ok with). The Kapow style ones need to stop if we are to be a legitimate threat this year. Can't give those away to good teams.
the thing about these types of penalties though is there is absolutely no consistency about how they're applied. Individually you can look at a lot of these 'piggy-back' type of penalties and think that it's reasonable, however there must be 20 instances a game where no penalty is blown for equally as bad and often worse infringements.

unfortunately the modern game is structured that these types of penalties can, and often do, alter the entire complexion of the game. all too often the natural flow of the game is altered dramatically, not by repeated infringements and malicious behaviour, but by innocuous tackles or vaguely apparent ruck infringements that are determined to be worthy of a penalty.

do the referees have a guide as to how many penalties they should be blowing? do they have a cheat sheet on teams, (as i believe they used to) to suggest which teams/players to watch, and in what areas? how is that impartial?

why is manly the top most penalised side? (allowing that we have played one more round than some teams) i am somewhat a one-eyed supporter, but it does not seem to me that we are guilty of dirty play, dangerous play, or of being particularly wrestle-happy. surely these three things are what should constitute penalisable play.

to be honest, it seems crooked. it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to enjoy watching a team play good football against another good team, tough blokes ripping in as a group. it's a bloody great spectacle. but all too often it's reduced to watching some stuffy attention seeker trying to control a game rather than his emotions with his stupid pink shirt on, huffing away with his bloated sense of self importance.

it's a joke.

that being said, how good were manly last night, aye! :rock:

Kinda scared at how many penalties we will concede against the Broncos.Cold be a 20 nil penalty count.

For what its worth, apparently even Bill Harrigan on MMM was questioning whether or not Badger had been spoken to at half time with the penalties he was suddenly giving Souffs early in the 2nd half.

On a positive note Manly and St George now share the top try scoring honours for the season so far with 39 almost 4.5 tries per match. Our attack seems to be coming along well

I was thinking the same thing - you won't hear much about it because we won it in a canter, but geez a lot of those penalties were crap. When even the commentators are making jokes about the whistle only being blown because of the score...(happened after BJ was penalised for 'holding on' for 3.2 milliseconds in a tackle, and at least one other).

DCE was spot on when he spoke to Badger about it - Manly didn't change a thing between first half and second, but once we were well ahead the piggybacks started (also, do you reckon Hymel Hunt's 'try' would be given if the scores were close?!).

Watch any game where there's a blowout - 9 times out of 10, the team on the receiving end will get a run of penalties once they're well behind on the scoreboard.

We can't be letting teams get flogged, or we'll lose $$$ from their supporters losing interest, and we also can't waffle on about what a fair and open competition the NRL is if teams are getting done by 50... :tinfoil:

You don't want fans turning off the TV half way through and losing those precious advertisement $$$
I think it was Harrigan? Who said he felt the pressure to go to the video ref. Got to meet the Kentucky Chicken quota

You don't want fans turning off the TV half way through and losing those precious advertisement $$$
I think it was Harrigan? Who said he felt the pressure to go to the video ref. Got to meet the Kentucky Chicken quota

Jamie Soward actually questioned one of the refs about going to the video for no reason, I think when he was playing for Penrith. Flat out asked him, "why are you checking it? Is it chicken time?!"

Its never the penalties they blow that are the key , its the penalties they dont blow that allow one team to play differently to its opponent, either in the play the ball or marker etc. this is how refs have most impact on the result. Even if a team wins the count 7- 6 but they allow one team a skinny 10 all night the result changes.

Maybe 5 years ago i remember a game against souths where manly didnt get a penalty until the 69 th minute of the game. That is impossible when all teams are coached to push the refs limit, all teams.

You don't go from being complete cleanskins in the 1st half, to playing almost exactly the same way in the second to get a string of 7 penalties against you.

Agree with this but I would go a step further. It makes absolutely no sense for a team that is leading to all of a sudden decide they need to change what they have been doing and push the boundaries. That would make sense for the team chasing but not when you are in front, yet this happens repeatedly!

Apparently we felt the pressure big time at 30-2 up and decided we needed to take some risks to... um... not sure why - but that's what happened ok? On top of that, we didnt let a couple of penalties deter us and continued until we gave away 6 or 7. Then we decided to go back to playing football and found an extra 16 points.

Nothing to see here.

In the storm/saints game yesterday, watching as a disinterested observer, I would have penalized storm 2 or 3 times in the 1st 10 for holding down. However there were none given, then saints got penalized 2 or 3 times for occasions where they got off the storm player fairly quickly. Hand on the ball or some bs was the reason. Shocking refs.

Agree with this but I would go a step further. It makes absolutely no sense for a team that is leading to all of a sudden decide they need to change what they have been doing and push the boundaries. That would make sense for the team chasing but not when you are in front, yet this happens repeatedly!

Apparently we felt the pressure big time at 30-2 up and decided we needed to take some risks to... um... not sure why - but that's what happened ok? On top of that, we didnt let a couple of penalties deter us and continued until we gave away 6 or 7. Then we decided to go back to playing football and found an extra 16 points.

Nothing to see here.

Yep, and the thing that bugs me is that after a string of penalties the ref then feels the need to speak to the captain and threaten the old "next time someone goes to sit down".
Ever noticed they only threaten the sin bin to the team that is leading because they know that any team down by 10 or more won't go for the penalty goal - but the team leading will. It's like they are daring the dominant team to keep do it so they can send a player to the bin and the losing team might catch up a bit.

In the storm/saints game yesterday, watching as a disinterested observer, I would have penalized storm 2 or 3 times in the 1st 10 for holding down. However there were none given, then saints got penalized 2 or 3 times for occasions where they got off the storm player fairly quickly. Hand on the ball or some bs was the reason. Shocking refs.

The Storm get away with a shocking amount of holding down/wrestling/flipping players onto their backs after held is called. And get a penalty gifted to them if the opposition tries to give a bit of their own medicine back.

Noticed Jorge's 'lost' ball in Friday's game was also a result of Souffs using the Parra specialty - get the ball carrying arm fully extended overhead, then the second or third tackler 'rolls' over the ball and forces it out. The ball carrier has no chance to protect the ball because he can't get the free arm/hand anywhere near it.

The Storm get away with a shocking amount of holding down/wrestling/flipping players onto their backs after held is called. And get a penalty gifted to them if the opposition tries to give a bit of their own medicine back.

Noticed Jorge's 'lost' ball in Friday's game was also a result of Souffs using the Parra specialty - get the ball carrying arm fully extended overhead, then the second or third tackler 'rolls' over the ball and forces it out. The ball carrier has no chance to protect the ball because he can't get the free arm/hand anywhere near it.

I agree its a deliberate tactic to force the ball out - but every time Jorge gets tackled I half expect him to drop it due to poor ball security and a sustained one handed carry. He contributes to his own problems, carries the ball like choc used to.

It's a pity about his loose carry , high ball non-catching and snails paced plays the ball ( sometimes after taking time to adjust his hair ) .....cause when he does hang on to it and runs he one of the best runners in the NRL.

Have never seen a more blatant effort to get a team back into a game. Fair dinkum, they must think we are all stupid.

Outside of these insipid efforts by officials to keep matches close, fully half of the penalty's blown are crap penalty's that shouldn't happen.

The game has changed because of this.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8