Peta Hiku

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'd prefer Snake to 5/8 Hiku to FB. Player there for the kiwis and snake is a ball player in our team. True he is small and injury prone but would be great with his speed against tiring forwards, and he hasn't been injured for half a year. I think of his try against the bulldogs in the semis last year.

I still like Snake at 5/8 ala Lockyer. He can tackle, has the maturity and knows how to put players through a gap. Best most consistnet player on the team needs to get his hands on the ball more often.
Hiku I just dont see him defending that strongly, or having a strong passing game. Hes got nice footwork, speed, and hands. Fullback all the way.

Snake is a great organiser at the back. His cover defence is second to none. He reads the game brilliantly and chimes into the backline superbly.

Hiku has size, strength, great footwork. His one on one defence would not be shown up in the middle, as it is out wide. It is much easier to defend with someone on either side of you. I think he would handle 5/8. I think he would excel actually.

The only thing about the transition I'm not sure of, is if he would want to play there or not. If I remember correctly, Jamie Lyon was not too keen on playing 5/8 either, but that turned out a little better than OK......

I don't think he is 5/8 material. He does not have the ball playing skills to make it in the position. I think he is a wonderful fullback but Brett is the best 1 in the game and Tom T is going to be a star one day. I think Hiku should play in the centres and Lyon to 5/8.

Although I think Lyon lacks some ball playing ability at the line, he straightens the attack and has a decent kicking game. I also think Lyon is starting to show his age, and a lack of speed is starting to cripple his ability somewhat. This might not be such a problem if he plays 6. I dunno...huge fan of Killer though.

I don't think he is 5/8 material. He does not have the ball playing skills to make it in the position. I think he is a wonderful fullback but Brett is the best 1 in the game and Tom T is going to be a star one day. I think Hiku should play in the centres and Lyon to 5/8.

Although I think Lyon lacks some ball playing ability at the line, he straightens the attack and has a decent kicking game. I also think Lyon is starting to show his age, and a lack of speed is starting to cripple his ability somewhat. This might not be such a problem if he plays 6. I dunno...huge fan of Killer though.

All very valid points @Snake but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

@:p You'll have to forgive my self assuredness. Yet again, I'm a little drunk. I blame the Capra's win for my jolliness!! You guys may have to get used to it, we're going to have a good year this year. :rofl:

In these times we need our best footballers to get their hands on the ball often. That's why I'd go for killer or hiku. I would hate to see them posted out wide while a p plate half or 5/8 is operating inside them.

The beauty of having Foz is that he can also defend like a lock and that helps balance out the workload of the forwards. So whoever we use I hope we don't have to hide them in defence which is what the Bronco's had to do with Lockyer and Tony Carroll.

We all know he has major defensive problems on the wing, but he is not a 5/8. He is strong with ball in hand and a bit of space, hence why he plays so well at fullback or centre. The only 5/8 options for this weekend realistically are Killer and possibly Mateo.

After watching the test the other night, I seriously think Hiku could make a hell of a 5/8. I've been saying it since March and still think he is the best option for 2016.

It is good to see that he can step up into that role. We have a world class half in DCE and most teams can make do with one dominant half with a solid 5/8 on the side. Hiku is a way better footballer than most and i am excited to see him there and also it may be the position for him long term instead of being brought in to plug holes in the backline.

He is an international player in his own right and i would love to see him cement a spot in our backline whilst freeing up a position for someone else on that right hand side.

I like the grubber he did for Brett to score against Newcastle this year, it took a lot of skill, and well weighted. Mother's Day I believe it was.

I'll admit that Hiku is surprising me the way he is handling 5/8 for the Kiwis. Having seen him for the past two or three years I didn't think he had what it took to play in the halves. But given how Barrett wants things to go next year with DCE being the dominant half and having a running pivot alongside, Peta Hiku might well fit that role perfectly. And the bonus is that he turns 23 next month so he might turn into a long term 5/8 for us.

I'm starting to become sold on Hiku being our 5/8 from next year. It moves him off the wing where although he can score tries, his lack of pace is a problem. And his defensive game is better suited to being further infield. We also have the perfect guy in Tommy to come in and play the wing. He's fast, not bad in defense (and will get better), safe under the high ball and would have the best centre inside him in Killer.

If Hiku is to play 5/8 i don't want to see him shifted to the backline incase of an injury. Outside our top players I feel we are a little light in depth. There are PlayeRs that can fill a gap at centre but, When you watch Brown at centre this year for the Panthers I find it worrying if he is our depth.

We could also go very left field and have A. Demetriou fill in at centre if required. Symonds is the obvious choice of we are light on in the centres but Parcell could potentially fill in if required.

Demetriou is too slow to play centre in first grade. Prop or second row maybe, but not in the centres.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6