Phil Gould - an opinion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
EagleBoi13 said:
last Friday nights game was final straw - just can't stomach it anymore. from now on I'll be listening to radio commentary instead of nein - which station do people prefer for league commentary MMM or ABC grandstand? (im in Melb)

In VIC, MMM Rocks the AFL anyway doesn't it?

ABC Grandstand can be OK, depending on who does the call (Morrow and Wok were just as bad IMO).

Maybe stream MMM's Rugby League call 1st and see how you go there mate.

RiverEagle said:
EagleBoi13 said:
last Friday nights game was final straw - just can't stomach it anymore. from now on I'll be listening to radio commentary instead of nein - which station do people prefer for league commentary MMM or ABC grandstand? (im in Melb)

ABC Grandstand can be OK, depending on who does the call (Morrow and Wok were just as bad IMO).

the only trouble with MMM's streaming is that the commentary comes through annoyingly 45 seconds after the live action and the disjunct causes player identification and illegal play commentary issues :p

EagleFromMay1967 said:
RiverEagle said:
EagleBoi13 said:

the only trouble with MMM's streaming is that the commentary comes through annoyingly 45 seconds after the live action and the disjunct causes player identification and illegal play commentary issues :p

Ah OK,

Well that would be annoying too, in it's own right.

I sometimes watch with zero commentary...It's not bad too actually.

RiverEagle said:
niccipops said:
I seriously wish Phil Gould would stop saying wow.
Makes me want to uproot a large tree and ram it down his neck.

His other staple response is, of course, "No no no no Noooo!"

It is the endless waffle with him and Ray Warren that is the most tedious.

I suspect they're far from good mates away from the microphones too.

Don't get me started Rivereagle! Don't get me started!

nodd said:
RiverEagle said:
niccipops said:

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7G9Ff5Mro

But seriously it wears thin pretty quickly.

Ranger said:
nodd said:
RiverEagle said:
niccipops said:

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7G9Ff5Mro

But seriously it wears thin pretty quickly.

I got about 2 mins in and lost it!

Yeah @Ranger

That clip's the best advertisement for sourcing alternative commentary, or muting em (or both!)

"Wow, look at that, don't get me started...It's under control, oh No, no no no Nooo!"

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Indeed!

Hamster Huey said:
niccipops said:

Wow. Now that's a bit extreme, isn't it?

Anybody that bags Gus' footballing brain is a jerk. The guy has left behind him far more success, being only compariable to Fulton. He is a winner and he knows what it takes between the ears to do it.

The amount of media against him during his first year at Penrith was extraordinary. But he made the tough footballing decisions against the 'experts' advice, and they are now looking to have something in place that is sustainable, unlike previous peaks.

Yes, he can rub the wrong way in some of his calls, but there are just three analytical brains worth listening these days; Gould, Sterlo and Johns. The rest are either incoherant babblers, Qld'er fanboys or both.

The fact Gus has the likes of Buzz and his stablemates offside, is a sure sign the guy knows football and does what he does for the betterment of the game, above all else.

Not bagging his footballing brain at all. It just annoys me when he repeats wow a lot. As for uprooting a tree and feeding it to Phil -I'm not really being serious there.:D
I agree that he's done a fantastic job at the panthers.

Hamster Huey said:
niccipops said:

Wow. Now that's a bit extreme, isn't it?

Anybody that bags Gus' footballing brain is a jerk. The guy has left behind him far more success, being only compariable to Fulton. He is a winner and he knows what it takes between the ears to do it.

The amount of media against him during his first year at Penrith was extraordinary. But he made the tough footballing decisions against the 'experts' advice, and they are now looking to have something in place that is sustainable, unlike previous peaks.

Yes, he can rub the wrong way in some of his calls, but there are just three analytical brains worth listening these days; Gould, Sterlo and Johns. The rest are either incoherant babblers, Qld'er fanboys or both.

The fact Gus has the likes of Buzz and his stablemates offside, is a sure sign the guy knows football and does what he does for the betterment of the game, above all else.

Sterlo stopped having a clue years ago...he is living in the early 90's with his appraisal of the game.

The majority seem to want Vossy to take over after Rabs retires. But after sacking him Nein seem to see Hadley as his replacement.

I generally don't mind Gus' commentary.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4