Phil Hughes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MacGill hates Buchanan because of that 'Boot Camp" thing he did a few years back before the 2007 Ashes.  MacGill is no athlete and did his knee pretty badly pulling a truck down a road.  He was out for a long time with that. 

Martyn got screwed over after the 2005 Ashes, where they dropped him for getting about 5 LBWs where he got an inside edge, but keeping him in the one day side.  Then they worked out that was arse about and put him back in the test side, dropping Hodge about 2 games after he scored a double ton.

I really think the selectors have to be replaced. 

Out side of his 1 good score he has an average of 33 is probably their reason.

He has 503 runs from 6 tests

Phil hughes has 472 from 5 tests and is 10 years younger and has also been dropped prematurely

You need to be an extra special cricketer if you are going to succeed in the Test arena with some technical flaws like Hughes has. You've got to give Test standard bowlers some credit, they'll figure you out pretty soon if you're not quite there. England did it to Hughes, just like we did it to JP Duminy after he touched us up in Melbourne.

Katich and Watson will start the summer for us as openers, and unless they have Barry Crockers then Hughes won't get a sniff. The Windies will be a walk in the park, so don't expect anyone to get dropped from the top order.

They should give Phil Jacques another run at the top.  Get rid of North or Hussey and move Watson down the order. 

Chip & Chase link said:
You need to be an extra special cricketer if you are going to succeed in the Test arena with some technical flaws like Hughes has. You've got to give Test standard bowlers some credit, they'll figure you out pretty soon if you're not quite there. England did it to Hughes, just like we did it to JP Duminy after he touched us up in Melbourne.

Katich and Watson will start the summer for us as openers, and unless they have Barry Crockers then Hughes won't get a sniff. The Windies will be a walk in the park, so don't expect anyone to get dropped from the top order.

What exactly are JP Duminy's technical flaws? When's he been figured out?

im still not sold they figured hughes out. He got out to harmy twice in the lead up to short stuff but only once in the tests over there nicked down leg side. add very iffy call when he edged behind in his last innings as well..

SA tried the short stuff a lot over there and failed.

Volley link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=178961.msg245993#msg245993 date=1258542552]

What exactly are JP Duminy's technical flaws? When's he been figured out?
[/quote]

technical flaws may be too strong a phrase I admit. But the point I was trying to make is that test standard bowlers will give you a good examination on any weakness. The Aussies "figured out" Duminy somewhat after his 150+, by shortening him up and pushing him back in his crease. He didn't do too much in SA in the Test series there, one 50 from memory and they picked him up cheaply pretty well every other time. I just used him as an example because he was the most recent one that sprang to mind. Hughes, whether real or perceived, has a "weakness" that the Poms exploited, and you have to admit he isn't the most technically correct batsman going around. All I was trying to point out is that they don't call it "test" cricket for nothing, you have to be on your game (particularly the mental aspect) or you'll be found wanting.

Well Hughes didn't make the most of his opportunity today. A couple of wild swipes, dropped, then caught, not troubling the scorer. Not enough shown there to suggest there is any reason to change the Watson/Katich pairing.

I also notice that Duminy hasn't exactly been dishing it out to the Poms either.

Was laughing when Nicholas was promoting that Johnson moves up the order, he is an 8 at best at the moment.

I see Duminy got a golden overnight, he is a good player, but was another that Nicholas wanted to boof  for being a cricketing god

yeah Kiwi i heard that and said to the TV "and who should he bat in front of you stupid prick".

The only way Johnson moves up the order is if we play 5 (+ Watson) bowlers. Haddin to 6 in place of North or Hussey and Johnson to 7. Maybe they might give this a go against the Kiwis when Hilfy is back....God knows we won't need much batting depth against the Kiwi attack. Otherwise it's a ridiculous comment.

Steve Smith for North and Usman Khawaja for Hussey, but batting at 3, Clarke 4, Ponting 5. Hazlewood for Siddle.

Fro link said:
yeah Kiwi i heard that and said to the TV \"and who should he bat in front of you stupid prick\".
  What are Channel 9 doing persisting with that Pommie buffoon on our screens?  I cringe every time he enters the box, for his sanctimonious smarminess and gushing irrelevance alone. 

Volley link said:
Steve Smith for North and Usman Khawaja for Hussey, but batting at 3, Clarke 4, Ponting 5. Hazlewood for Siddle.

there are 5 other states Volley.

Come on fro, you know that throughout history there's only been 1 state that's held the fate of Australian cricket in its hands.

Victards are useless, lol at QLD'ers, and the other states might produce 1 quality player a generation (WA somehow arsed a few handy players back in the 70's/80's).

The greater the % of Blues, the greater the chance of Australia pwning world cricket again.

Chip & Chase link said:
The only way Johnson moves up the order is if we play 5 (+ Watson) bowlers. Haddin to 6 in place of North or Hussey and Johnson to 7. Maybe they might give this a go against the Kiwis when Hilfy is back....God knows we won't need much batting depth against the Kiwi attack. Otherwise it's a ridiculous comment.

Never under estimate Marto in kiwi conditions my man lol, if the ball is swinging Southee could challenge a few of them too based on yesterdays efforts

Groundsman should be getting them nice and green after watching this

5-6 years ago India came over here boasting 1 or the best batting lineups of all time. A bit of grass was left in the decks, they couldn't handle it and were rolled every innings, and threatened to never come back to the country again haha

Some of the commentary is unbelievable

Watching this morning, state of the game, Australia 127 Pakistan 0/80 and all I heard from Chappell and co was "they should be doing this" etc, I would say they were doing pretty bloody well

Highlight of the mornings commentary was listening to Bill talking about his Pigeons haha

Over here it can be interesting to listen too at times, because at the end of an over, while you must be getting ads, we are not and the guys are chatting away thinking they are off air. They zoomed in on a chick in the crowd once and you could hear Grieg "Oh yeah, good work, zoom in a bit more". During 1 of the last 2 tests North dropped a catch which they analyzed during the over as being a tough chance, poor technique etc, but at the end of the over you could hear Taylor telling them what an awful effort it was

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7