Player Ratings - Manly vs Brisbane

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
No, this isn't about television. Its just my ratings out of 10 for the 17 players and the coach from Saturday night's loss to Brisbane at 'home'.

Tom Trbojevic - 6. Mixed night for Tommy who still seemed to be struggling on the ankle, although he did run for a game high 186 metres. Can't really blame him for missing Boyd and Milford early, even Snake at his best would have struggled to stop them.

Brayden Wiliame - 5. Didn't really do anything wrong out there, but didn't get many opportunities either.

Jamie Lyon - 2. Killer is badly out of form in the centres and other than his goal kicking is not playing anywhere near like the champion we know and love. Being turned inside out by a Sam Thaiday in and away was embarrassing.

Lewis Brown - 3. Did he actually play? In 80 minutes he made 6 runs for 42 metres. He made only 10 tackles and missed 3. Hardly sighted all night.

Matthew Wright - 4. His knock on while attempting an intercept probably saved a try, but his laughing about it when it happened in his own half was not good. Robbed of a fair try by Horsehead and his wonderfully inept refereeing.

Dylan Walker - 4. Proving not to be a 5/8 and realistically is playing as a 3rd centre. However he did put the kick in for Taupau's try.

Daly Cherry-Evans - 7. Easily his best game of the season although he still had his moments. Busted his gut out there trying to lift the team but didn't get much help from his team mates.

Siosaia Vave - 3. Definitely shouldn't be starting as he couldn't keep up with the opening pace of the game. Only played 31 minutes and had little impact. If Lussick was on the bench because of his circumstances then BJ should have started, not the big boy.

Matt Parcell - 7. Made some good runs from dummy half and pulled off 51 tackles.

Nate Myles - 3. Easily his worst game for Manly with only 5 runs for 44 metres in 45 minutes. No impact. Could have scored a try though if he hadn't dropped a pass from Parcell close to the line in the 2nd half.

Blake Leary - 2. Can someone please explain what he is doing in first grade, let alone starting in the 2nd row. We got 62 minutes of crap from him before T-Red came on. 5 runs for a whopping 39 metres. Made 37 tackles but also missed 4.

Martin Taupau - 5. Our only starting forward to run for over 100 metres (as opposed to 4 Brisbane starters). Scored our only try but his frustration got the better of him and he was put on report which will likely see him miss 2-3 weeks.

Jake Trbojevic - 6. Relatively quiet game by his standards in that he 'only' made 33 tackles. His runs were good though (he's putting more into them thankfully) and he just doesn't stop.

Darcy Lussick - 5. Big effort to even be out there considering. Did some quality hit ups but also missed 6 tackles, 1 more than the entire Broncos starting pack. Should be back in the front row against the Sharks

Addin Fonua-Blake - 6. Limited time on the field (24 minutes) but still managed 78 metres (twice as many as Leary) from 8 runs.

Brenton Lawrence - 6. One of our best forwards last night with 126 metres and 22 tackles. Probably should have started.

Tom Symonds - 3. Limited impact in limited minutes. Should have been on the field much earlier than he was....i.e. he should have started.

Trent Barrett - 1. We have no structure in attack, our defence for the most part is very soft and even after 10 rounds he is still making stupid rookie selection decisions like Leary playing and persisting with Walker at 5/8.

Well, that is some of my thoughts in a nutshell. Make of them what you will.

Thanks for the honest assessments.
I was lucky enough to be at a dinner party so I didn't have to endure the match. The 'highlights' were painful enough.
Seems like Mr Plod was up to his standard. And to think our recruitment team bought him to help with our 're-building'....

No, this isn't about television. Its just my ratings out of 10 for the 17 players and the coach from Saturday night's loss to Brisbane at 'home'.

Tom Trbojevic - 6. Mixed night for Tommy who still seemed to be struggling on the ankle, although he did run for a game high 186 metres. Can't really blame him for missing Boyd and Milford early, even Snake at his best would have struggled to stop them.

Brayden Wiliame - 5. Didn't really do anything wrong out there, but didn't get many opportunities either.

Jamie Lyon - 2. Killer is badly out of form in the centres and other than his goal kicking is not playing anywhere near like the champion we know and love. Being turned inside out by a Sam Thaiday in and away was embarrassing.

Lewis Brown - 3. Did he actually play? In 80 minutes he made 6 runs for 42 metres. He made only 10 tackles and missed 3. Hardly sighted all night.

Matthew Wright - 4. His knock on while attempting an intercept probably saved a try, but his laughing about it when it happened in his own half was not good. Robbed of a fair try by Horsehead and his wonderfully inept refereeing.

Dylan Walker - 4. Proving not to be a 5/8 and realistically is playing as a 3rd centre. However he did put the kick in for Taupau's try.

Daly Cherry-Evans - 7. Easily his best game of the season although he still had his moments. Busted his gut out there trying to lift the team but didn't get much help from his team mates.

Siosaia Vave - 3. Definitely shouldn't be starting as he couldn't keep up with the opening pace of the game. Only played 31 minutes and had little impact. If Lussick was on the bench because of his circumstances then BJ should have started, not the big boy.

Matt Parcell - 7. Made some good runs from dummy half and pulled off 51 tackles.

Nate Myles - 3. Easily his worst game for Manly with only 5 runs for 44 metres in 45 minutes. No impact. Could have scored a try though if he hadn't dropped a pass from Parcell close to the line in the 2nd half.

Blake Leary - 2. Can someone please explain what he is doing in first grade, let alone starting in the 2nd row. We got 62 minutes of crap from him before T-Red came on. 5 runs for a whopping 39 metres. Made 37 tackles but also missed 4.

Martin Taupau - 5. Our only starting forward to run for over 100 metres (as opposed to 4 Brisbane starters). Scored our only try but his frustration got the better of him and he was put on report which will likely see him miss 2-3 weeks.

Jake Trbojevic - 6. Relatively quiet game by his standards in that he 'only' made 33 tackles. His runs were good though (he's putting more into them thankfully) and he just doesn't stop.

Darcy Lussick - 5. Big effort to even be out there considering. Did some quality hit ups but also missed 6 tackles, 1 more than the entire Broncos starting pack. Should be back in the front row against the Sharks

Addin Fonua-Blake - 6. Limited time on the field (24 minutes) but still managed 78 metres (twice as many as Leary) from 8 runs.

Brenton Lawrence - 6. One of our best forwards last night with 126 metres and 22 tackles. Probably should have started.

Tom Symonds - 3. Limited impact in limited minutes. Should have been on the field much earlier than he was....i.e. he should have started.

Trent Barrett - 1. We have no structure in attack, our defence for the most part is very soft and even after 10 rounds he is still making stupid rookie selection decisions like Leary playing and persisting with Walker at 5/8.

Very balanced and well thought out mate. Can't disagree on one point there.

I'd give a higher rating to Brenton Lawrence but otherwise agree with the rest

He should really be the one starting rather than vave or Lussick.

I'd give a higher rating to Brenton Lawrence but otherwise agree with the rest

He should really be the one starting rather than vave or Lussick.

Yeah I probably should have given BJ a 7 instead of a 6. We had two Qld front rowers out there, an Origin incumbent and one who should have played Origin by now. The incumbent was a non-event and the other showed that he is far from a spent force. I hope Kevin Walters took note of BJ's performance.

If Barrett was going to have Darcy on the bench because of his personal situation he should have started BJ in the front row, not Vave.

Even if Taupau is suspended (which is likely as he's already been suspended once this year), then Ferris should come in for him and Leary? I'd rather have Mateo and his ball playing skills out there. Yeah he can make the occasional mistake, but at least he'll offer something.

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest assessments.
I was lucky enough to be at a dinner party so I didn't have to endure the match. The 'highlights' were painful enough.
Seems like Mr Plod was up to his standard. And to think our recruitment team bought him to help with our 're-building'....[/QUOTE

Mr Plod? Could you be more specific? I am unsure of which player you are talking about...

Very fair & unfortunately....very accurate

Can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd bump Williame up one more point, 0 tackles missed in that game is outstanding. Got in with a dozen runs too.
That try that Mathew Wright let in near the end was putrid defence. Old mate only had a metre or so to work in, and Wrights effort (it was right in front of us...) was pathetic. If he thinks he's getting the other wing spot when Tafua gets back with that shiit attitude in defence he's kidding. I hope Williame can kick on and make it a two horse race for the vacant spot.

Last edited:
I can't argue with your opinion of Wiliame, he did nothing wrong with limited opportunities. I gave him a 5 because I don't think he did enough (or got enough opportunity) to get a 6. I would have loved to see him in open space as we saw at the Nine's he showed has good speed.

He was far from the reason we lost like we did.

How can the score be 20-0 and still have a fresh player on the bench?I believe Leary is a good player but to be fair to him,he hadn't played for a few weeks,not sure why because he wasn't on the injured list nor did he play reserve grade and coming straight into the starting side was not a wise move from Barrett/Fultom

Leary is overrated IMO. As a back rower his runs have no impact and if he gets smashed early in games he goes missing. And as a hooker/dummy half....his passes suck.

As a back rower at Manly he should be behind Taupau, Buhrer, Symonds, Brown and Mateo. Hell, even Jorge and Skivy have more impact when running the ball.

Leary is overrated IMO. As a back rower his runs have no impact and if he gets smashed early in games he goes missing. And as a hooker/dummy half....his passes suck.

As a back rower at Manly he should be behind Taupau, Buhrer, Symonds, Brown and Mateo. Hell, even Jorge and Skivy have more impact when running the ball.
Not as over rated as ****ing myles. Myles is so ****. He stops and drops to the ground when he hits the line picking up 5 metres a run. What a ****in joke. lets be honest, he is only good for our younger blokes and retaining DCE. Thats it.

Myles hasn't been that bad this year despite his plodding style. But he was very poor on Saturday night.

The best thing about Myles' game on Saturday night was Thaiday's comment about his head.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4