Players & RLPA v NRL: Ongoing Saga

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Newton is an absolute flog

Heard him interviewed on the radio this morning, he should be in dancing with the stars the way he dances around giving any straight answers, and his go to line is “of course you’re going to take the NRLs side” indicating bias to the NRL because the media hosts don’t agree with his plastic answers
I think he's just the fall guy...ie the guy that cops the arrows in the back while the players with clout are behind him.

So it's a case of bite the hand that feeds? These players would be competing for a meat tray if it wasn't for the media pumping billions into the game.
The media only pump millions into the game because advertisers will pay through the nose to be associated with the game - because of the game. That is, the players, not vLandys and abdo and Co.

I was quite astonished this afternoon, while driving flicked over to Talkin Bulldogs and heard Plopsworth (thanks @globaleagle !) and Hughes sticking up for Newton and RLPA. They said, for those criticising the players position, exactly which of their demands do you find unreasonable? Apparently they've all been clearly up on the RLPA site for ages, yet Vlandys and the usual suspects on Fox and 9 have been acting as though its all about the players being greedy, and it's the players who have held up the agreement. Ploppy said outright several times Vlandys is lying.

The media only pump millions into the game because advertisers will pay through the nose to be associated with the game - because of the game. That is, the players, not vLandys and abdo and Co.
yeah but the advertisers pay through the nose because of exposure to a large audience. That is the fans, not the players. Put a Manly jumper on the local Narrandera Lizards, call em the Sea Eagles, send em out onto Brookvale Oval. Slap a Tigers jumper on the Wellington Cowboys, call em Wests and you’ve got yourself a product. The game survived on players earning next to nothing for 70 years and training after work. The game doesn’t need money or ‘professional standard players’ to be appealing to a mass audience, they just need to be wearing the correct colours and have the right name and it’s game on!

I was quite astonished this afternoon, while driving flicked over to Talkin Bulldogs and heard Plopsworth (thanks @globaleagle !) and Hughes sticking up for Newton and RLPA. They said, for those criticising the players position, exactly which of their demands do you find unreasonable? Apparently they've all been clearly up on the RLPA site for ages, yet Vlandys and the usual suspects on Fox and 9 have been acting as though its all about the players being greedy, and it's the players who have held up the agreement. Ploppy said outright several times Vlandys is lying.
Maybe Clint could have a read of the RLPA website so when he is asked about what they’re after he could actually answer a question

Play a game you love, get days off during the week to spend with family, work next to 20+ of your best mates, earn an average wage of over 300k, get two months holidays a year, create amazing memories.

Hang on NRL, you’re not providing us with what we need and are entitled to. We only play for a short time and put our bodies on the line…

OK, So when did the NRL force you into this predicament? We didn’t? You made a choice? Well Coles is hiring!

Newton offered to step aside so the players and the NRL could work their $hit out.
But now V'landys has extended that offer to remove Newton & Abdo and talk directly to the players, Newton won't actually remove himself from the conversation.
What a cluster fuk.

Newton is an absolute flog

Heard him interviewed on the radio this morning, he should be in dancing with the stars the way he dances around giving any straight answers, and his go to line is “of course you’re going to take the NRLs side” indicating bias to the NRL because the media hosts don’t agree with his plastic answers
Agree...Newtons well passed his used by date, I can't believe he hasn't been moved on. It's been 20mths of talk with the NRL, Clint needs to ride into the sunset...

Play a game you love, get days off during the week to spend with family, work next to 20+ of your best mates, earn an average wage of over 300k, get two months holidays a year, create amazing memories.

Hang on NRL, you’re not providing us with what we need and are entitled to. We only play for a short time and put our bodies on the line…

OK, So when did the NRL force you into this predicament? We didn’t? You made a choice? Well Coles is hiring!
Haven't read all the posts here yet but just another thing to consider about the dream existence of players - there are also serious pitfalls that are bit by bit being revealed, so player and ex-player welfare are legitimate issues.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
ang on NRL, you’re not providing us with what we need and are entitled to. We only play for a short time and put our bodies on the line…

and, not having a go at you Leonard, but just in relation to that sort of argument - could not the same be said for cops - soldiers - construction workers, tree loppers, come on you all knew there were risks, you could have got a safe job in a library! or whatever.

and, not having a go at you Leonard, but just in relation to that sort of argument - could not the same be said for cops - soldiers - construction workers, tree loppers, come on you all knew there were risks, you could have got a safe job in a library! or whatever.
the same can’t be said because comparing professions is apples and oranges. When you’re on a good wicket, you’re on a good wicket and when you front up to a difficult job and get paid modestly for it, naturally, you advocate for more.

There’s 1000s of people playing rugby league for enjoyment every weekend in this country because it’s awesome. I don’t know too many that are actively seeking out dangerous criminals for a good time. One is sport and the other is to a degree, selfless community service.

My point is, I don’t think there is anything to advocate for as players, because they have a really privileged lifestyle that most would happily accept a thousand times over, but now they’ve acquired it, want their cake and eat it too.

Haven't read all the posts here yet but just another thing to consider about the dream existence of players - there are also serious pitfalls that are bit by bit being revealed, so player and ex-player welfare are legitimate issues.
Have these players considered the 99% of RL footballers who actually pay to play the game they love? These amateurs are just as likely to get hurt and suffer long after they have stopped playing. Only worse: an injury to an amateur can mean they can't work and, in many case, won't get wages or compensation.
While I support in principle, the push to ensure all professionals receive a fair salary I have lost sympathy with their cause, especially after this latest laughing stock of a tactic of covering up NRL logos. Seriously? It's Kindergarten thinking!

Have these players considered the 99% of RL footballers who actually pay to play the game they love? These amateurs are just as likely to get hurt and suffer long after they have stopped playing. Only worse: an injury to an amateur can mean they can't work and, in many case, won't get wages or compensation.
While I support in principle, the push to ensure all professionals receive a fair salary I have lost sympathy with their cause, especially after this latest laughing stock of a tactic of covering up NRL logos. Seriously? It's Kindergarten thinking!
Yeah , i "ve pretty much had this outlook also with the overall nature of the new agreement and improved payments in particular .
Also particularly impressive outcome after all of the setbacks and difficult operating circumstances during the covid period and to the credit of the governing body
Any serious provisions or policies towards after career matters should be a separate matter and negotiated over time as such .
Very complicated area with individual N R L player and governing body responsibilities to come to terms with and resolve
Game just does no just revolve around the elites in the code , more then entitled to being very well paid and other benefits but to be an exclusive grouping , not sure how that can be justified

A look at this suggests it is the NRL being unreasonable not the players...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8