Poor ol' Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
State government to stop funding suburban football grounds in favour of major stadium

THE state government has stamped a death notice on one of Sydney’s favourite Sunday afternoon activities — watching NRL games at traditional old suburban grounds.

The days of getting rugged up on weekend afternoons to enjoy a pie and beer on the hill at the famous footy ovals are soon to be gone under plans to raise our sporting facilities to an international level.

Sports Minister Stuart Ayres said the government would no longer invest in the district venues where rugby league has been played for more than a century. Instead, money would be poured into major upgrades at Allianz and ANZ stadiums, including a ­retractable roof over the Homebush Olympic venue.

ROTHFIELD COMMENT: KILLING OFF SUBURBAN FOOTY A MISTAKE

Old favourites such as Leichhardt Oval, Shark Park, Brookvale and Kogarah will either be left to rot or become training facilities and multi-purpose venues for wider use, similar to Redfern Oval and Belmore Sports Ground.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/state-government-to-stop-funding-suburban-football-grounds-in-favour-of-major-stadiums/story-fni3fbgz-1226986971004

RE: State government to stop funding suburban football grounds in favour of major stadium

Probably time to head into the future so hopefully we can financially survive.

RE: State government to stop funding suburban football grounds in favour of major stadium

Simply chasing the corporate dollar to maximise revenue.

Just the same their speed camera blitz in May which netted me two speeding tickets for going exactly 92 in an 80 zone on roads I have been driving on for years and never got a ticket. Hmm did they turn down the threshold?. Hardly what you call speed enforcement.

Who stole the soul?. The goverment.

They care about balancing the books more than they do people.

NYEagle

NYEagle said:
Simply chasing the corporate dollar to maximise revenue.

Just the same their speed camera blitz in May which netted me two speeding tickets for going exactly 92 in an 80 zone on roads I have been driving on for years and never got a ticket. Hmm did they turn down the threshold?. Hardly what you call speed enforcement.

Who stole the soul?. The goverment.

They care about balancing the books more than they do people.

NYEagle

Fined for exceeding the speed limit by 15% - who would have think it

@jethro We can probably merge this into the poor ol brookie thread....or vice versa?

Pirtek Stadium was given a $29 mil government grant last year ($20 mil federal and $6mil State) for an upgrade and they have now gone back to the State Government looking for $120mil. I also know that the panthers have been given a significant amount of government money and Multiplex will be commencing construction out there soon on what I think is to be new training faciltities.

Our PM and #1 ticket holder has been the member for warringah for over 20 yrs, most of which he has been a senior Government Minister, and in that he has delivered SFA for Brookvale. Add to that that we now have a Premier of NSW that is a Manly local and you would expect that Brookvale and the most succesful team in the NRL would be odds on favourite to finally get the upgrade deserved. Instead, we get promised $10mil from Abbott which is half what he gave the much bigger and newer stadium at Parramatta, and Baird declares we are getting nothing now or ever in the future.

Then there is Warringah Council, the most useless, underperforming, overpaid bunch of muppets to ever be voted into Local Government. They have wasted an enormous amount of money on stall tactics through a community consultation process the result of which was an overwhelming vote by the community for the council to upgrade Brookvale which they have since ignored. At a time when the Federal Labor government was throwing cash everywhere they couldn't even be bothered to fill in the paperwork to apply for one of the Federal community infrastructure grants that were available.

There are hidden agendas behind the scenes in all this. One I have heard is that a major developer wants a major chunk of of Brookvale thrown in as part of a PPP agreement to build another Infrastructure project elswhere on the peninsula. But that's a story for another day.

In any case, there is a very simple solution. You can't play nice with politicians of any kind because it will get you knowhere. Having the PM and State Premier representing the region is also worthless unless you use it while you can. They only care about one thing and that is winning elections. If Seagles Fans start sending letters to Baird telling him that you will no longer be able to support him at the upcoming State election unless he supports Brookvale Oval and ensures the upgrade and upkeep is fully funded.

A Premier or Prime Minister that feels even the slightest hint of a potential mutiny in their own 'safe' seat at an upcoming election will quickly scare into immediate action. Unfortunately, the peninsula doesn't ever understand that such a safe seat will always remain a completely neglected seat.

Pirtek Stadium was given a $29 million government grant last year ($20 million federal, $6 million state and $3 million local) to upgrade the venue and the Eels and Wanderers have been debating the best way to use the money.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/eels-wanderers-unveil-120m-plan-to-upgrade-pirtek-stadium-20140426-zqzzv.html#ixzz37jL7Ziem

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6