Postcards from home

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
globaleagle said:
As requested (ages ago and in case he still lurks around a bit).... Baby Plovers!!!

mwDKQUs.jpg

6gaQC9N.jpg

u6nP4la.jpg

uTMuyJN.jpg

U3TZyUs.jpg

2ctFGCY.jpg

LtqfR0s.jpg

Aww

Baby plovers are cute little things. If you pick one up an sit quietly with it, the plover's parents will actually collect small insects etc and gently land on your shoulder and feed the baby plover while you pat it.

Such shy, timid little creatures they are.

PS. Anyone that hasn't encountered plovers with chicks........don't try this.

^lol.

We'd befriended some magpies and whenever the plovers tried to have a go at us...the magpies would chase them off!!!!

That said, once we saw the plovers had a nest, we stayed well away from them.

'cause animals > people and all that.

Magpies would make the best pets/guard birds. We had a family (2 generations) of magpies that would turn up every morning and afternoon. They'd peck on the sliding glass door to announce themselves, then you'd have to hand feed them something. lol

We get a lot of snakes through the backyard because we have a horse paddock over the back fence. It was a bit of a snake highway at one stage. Mainly brown tree snakes, but the odd eastern brown. The magpies would let you know when one was there by screaming and swooping it until I'd grab the shovel and convince it to leave ;)

Then I got the worlds smartest staffy. We have lost count of the number of snakes he has killed. On the downside, he also hates magpies so they got the sh1ts and left.

Staffordshire bull terriers > magpies it seems.

Speaking of birds I took a walk around a park here the other morning, I watched a Raven fly over to a puddle with some bread in it's mouth it then put the bread in the puddle and soaked it for a while before eating it.

The bread was too hard obviously and it needed to be softened so it could be broken up. Clever birds!

^ Smart birds. I've seen the ones around here fly up high and drop nuts onto the pavement to crack them open!

INSANELY happy yesterday as for the first time in about a month....there was SUNSHINE!!!!! AHHHHHH!

Even though it was only 2 degrees outside ....time to walk the dog! Still better than the 2 walks a day in the rain...with dog blaming you for the rain.

Pics:

BS37LIr.jpg

Mk3guz9.jpg

EV4gJkJ.jpg

yYWUoR6.jpg

G0HCxIs.jpg

pEaFuW1.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures from Longreach CQ. A lot of people write Longreach off as too hot and too isolated, but it has its hidden treasures. These are shots of Longreach's main beach, Mirage Beach.

That's Illusion Island you can see in the background of pics 3 & 4.

OK everyone, let's take a quick 600km trip heading west from Alpha, north west to Winton, with a quick dip into the south to Blackall.

Alpha ; Established in 1884 as a base for work teams during the construction of the Central West Railway. It is considered to be the beginning of Qld's west country. It lies between Rockhampton and Longreach.

Jericho ; Jericho lies on the Capricorn Highway east of Barcaldine and was established as a township in the 1850's to accommodate the settlers that had moved to the area shortly after Major Thomas Mitchell had explored the area in 1846. Despite the name being based on a joke - due to the town being based on the Jordan river - the religious connotation has been taken to heart, with the towns main attraction being the Crystal Trumpeters monument depicting various stages in the story of the Old Testament.

Barcaldine ; Barcaldine's quiet and laid back atmosphere belies the town's significance in shaping Australia's political and social history. The Tree of Knowledge monument in Oak Street, stands proudly in place of the ghost gum under which defiant striking shearer's held meetings in 1891, serving to inspire the formation of the Labour Party.

Blackall ; Blackall is the home of the Black Stump and the legendary shearer, Jackie Howe, and lays claim to being the biggest cattle selling centre of the Central West. Settled in 1864, the town that grew amid huge pastoral leases established itself as the most important town in the Central West prior to the connection of the rail service to Barcaldine in 1886. The Blackall Wool Scour, built in 1906 and preserved for its historical value, pays tribute to the importance of the wool industry.

Isisford ; The founding of Isisford was apparently an accident, a result of a hawker wagon breaking an axle while fording the Isis River, and their drivers deciding to set up his stall on the riverbank. Over the years they also set up a hotel, a blacksmith, butcher store and saddler. The town continued to prosper to the point that it supported 5 hotels and was included in the first motorised postal service

Aramac ; 67kms north of Barcaldine. Apart from its curiously wide streets, the town is notable for its tramline, which was constructed in 1909 providing transport to and from Barcaldine until 1975. A very popular town for birdwatchers due to the large amount of waterfowl attracted to the wetland areas of Lake Galilee and Lake Dunn.

Ilfracombe ; In the 1890's, Wellshot Station was the world's largest operating sheep station, and required its own town to be built simply to support the local population. In its heyday, Ilfracombe had enough trade to support 3 commission agents, 3 opulent hotels, a billiard saloon, a dress makers store as well as its own coach building shop, butcher, baker and 2 general stores. Enough wool was produced that it was common for large wagons drawn by 30 horses to deliver a single load of wool 650kms to Rockhampton's shipping port.

Longreach ; Longreach began as a camp in the 1870's for teamsters who transported supplies to the nearby Mt Cornish outstation. Bowen Downs station had been settled a decade before, and the growing trade in the area transformed the camp into a thriving township over the next 20 years. The railway line connected the town to Barcaldine and the coast in 1892 and the town continued to prosper with the wool industry.
In 1921, the Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service, which had just begun operating in Winton, built a modest hangar in Longreach, and within 5 years, QANTAS was constructing its own biplanes there. Today, Longreach is the home of the Stockman's Hall of Fame and the QANTAS Founders Museum, paying tribute to industries that shaped Australia's outback.

Muttaburra ; Muttaburra is world-renowned for its abundance of unearthed fossils and dinosaur bones, due to its location area that once formed the great inland sea. The town lends its name to a species of dinosaur previously unknown before its discovery in this region, and a replica of the 12m long Muttaburrasaurus can be seen here.
The town is also noteworthy as the site of the infamous trial of cattle-duffer, Harry Redford, whose actions inspired the character of Captain Starlight in Australia's first literary novel, Robbery Under Arms.

Winton ; As well as being one of the most important areas for cattle grazing and wool production in the Central West, Winton is the official birthplace of QANTAS. It is also the town where Banjo Patterson conceived his poem "Waltzing Matilda". The history of the writer and his most famous work are showcased at the Waltzing Matilda Centre through life sized displays, holograms, memorabilia and audio presentations. The centre combines with the Qantilda Museum and Qantilda Pioneer Place, paying tribute to the role the town has played in the founding of QANTAS.

awesome @mozgrame

THANGOOL! that's the place I was trying to remember. I've flown ito the airport a couple of times. Once, whilst waiting to be picked up, the staff at the airport said that was it for them and would I mind locking up when I left! (lol)

I didn't and it was fun.

globaleagle said:
awesome @mozgrame

THANGOOL! that's the place I was trying to remember. I've flown ito the airport a couple of times. Once, whilst waiting to be picked up, the staff at the airport said that was it for them and would I mind locking up when I left! (lol)

I didn't and it was fun.

Thangool, really?? Did you sign the visitors sheet? They don't need a book, the visitors sheet has been good enough for the past 20 years. LOL

Actually, they do put on a good horse race meet at Thangool. One day, we should gather up the respective families, rent a couple of 4wds, 'cause you know we'll wreck them ;), and do a trip around CQ. We'll grab @marga on the way. :p She can travel in your 4wd. I hear she likes a drop of wine and could be trouble. :p

wine, 4wd's, dino bones, good company...

what could be better!!!!

I couldn't type as much as you @mozgrame so here's a video....

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-tVZq9a4Y[/video]

globaleagle said:
wine, 4wd's, dino bones, good company...

what could be better!!!!

I couldn't type as much as you @mozgrame so here's a video....

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-tVZq9a4Y[/video]

Haha! Nice GE :)

That's kind of how a Qlder feels when they move to Sydney. LOL

Certainly nothing like that where I come from. The mighty Baralaba!! Where nothing ever happens pretty much. Even our local prostitute was a 43 year old virgin.

Pfft...support local business. Yeah right! :p

Nothing fancy here. I was travelling down the gondola after a morning of snowboarding and thought you should see some not very good pics and the top of my boot!

36dw13r.jpg

WNDZm1e.jpg

hc9Q3gb.jpg

Moon is good....moon is wise.

I dunno, even after all these years I still find it kinda cool to see the moon in daylight.

2se2aWR.jpg

I walked a bit closer for this one...so you get a better view as you're now closer to the moon!

e7GKDm2.jpg

Artistic moon...

2gDlS7N.jpg

Less pretentious artistic moon...

15PBlOq.jpg

Now it's following me!

CQCXKVH.jpg

I love a waxing moon. There is something energising about a daylight moon, building each day to a full moon. On the other hand, waning moon's are a little depressing. :( Go figure right?

I was floating around in the pool yesterday afternoon around 3pm, and your eye just gets constantly pulled to the moon. There is something very primal about it. Beautiful!

I think it is engrained in us. Tides, menstral cycles, lunatics, 13 28 day moonths in a year (not 12 months of random numbers of days).
All praise the moon god!

"Ingrained"

But at least I smiled and changed it!!!! +1 for me. Yay.

Happy New Year!

My head's fuzzy.

Fraggle Rock, the band. As witnessed by Moondog and myself after a few bottles and a couple of what I believed to be regular mushrooms. They were performing in Moondog's backyard, oddly. We joined in straight away, as you'd expect. That's Moondog in the front with the hat. I'm at the side, taking a leak on the bush. Good times.....:rofl:
fraggle.png

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4