PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Tigers [Round 1, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Not surprised at Fatty playing prop, he could fill in anywhere in the pack really. Though it was his first game there since Round 25 in 1983.

In 1987, Bozo played Martin Meredith at 5/8 for our first 5 rounds of the season (we had a bye in Rd.5) before Cliffy got his hands on the #6 jumper. And in that Round 7 game we actually lost 18-28 at Brookie to Souffs.
I do remember Fatty filling in at prop in 83 and Cliffy playing a lot of lock early with us but I thought that by 87 they were pretty much established lock and 5/8.
Quite amazing to read that.
Interestingly fatty played a game on the wing in the Amco cup or KB cup, whatever it was at the time. Can't remember the coach but they may have been trying to cash in on the success of Kurt Sorenson and John Ribot moving from the forwards to out wide.
Wherever Fatty and Cliffy played, they would be walk up starts today.

I do remember Fatty filling in at prop in 83 and Cliffy playing a lot of lock early with us but I thought that by 87 they were pretty much established lock and 5/8.
Quite amazing to read that.
Interestingly fatty played a game on the wing in the Amco cup or KB cup, whatever it was at the time. Can't remember the coach but they may have been trying to cash in on the success of Kurt Sorenson and John Ribot moving from the forwards to out wide.
Wherever Fatty and Cliffy played, they would be walk up starts today.

I knew Ribot had started out as a lock before (I think) Roy Masters at Wests put his natural pace to good use on the wing. But I would never have picked Kurt Sorenson as a winger.

I have heard the story about Fatty on the wing in a midweek cup game. It might have been Ray Ritchie who played him there.

Jeez I’m torn , I’d love to pick us to win but it’s a relatively new backline up against a team we always seem to struggle with at their home.

Tigers by a few but hope I’m wrong.

I do not have an issue with our new back line . Our old 2018 back line was a big issue . The players that have left were a big part of those issues . No loss there !

I believe under Des and under his new structures , philosophy and ability to lift and get the best out of his players , we will see a much improved effort from our backs and our team as a whole .

Having a few players out will make us less complacent and more focused and determined in our play. There are always positives that come out of set backs

THE 2019 SEASON WILL BE THE START OF A NEW ERA AND THE AWAKENING OF THE GREAT MANLY SPIRIT THAT WAS DORMANT UNDER A DRAGON

My heart and head both say it will be a win for the Born Again 2019 Des Manly Sea eagles
81l2ln7VfsL._SS500_.jpg

And let me guess, those five posts were all yours? You need to become a moderator so that you can just delete all the ones you find of little value? Then Silvertails can go full facist Herr Woodsie. You'd probably be talking to yourself a lot though ..... and the so called PPC / numb nut brigade can set up a splinter forum where we can just write crap?

Sometimes I think you take me more seriously than I do .....

We've got them covered in the forwards, they have us covered in the backs. Should be an interesting game. If we can use our second phase ball in the middle 3rd then that might be the key. With no Tommy sniffing up through the middle then Api and DCE probably need to get in there and work off the back of offloads to create chances on the fringes of the ruck.

The Tigers will rely big on kicking game and field position, placing big importance on the back 3.
Really think of Garrick plays a strong first up game and Tafua who looks fit can gain good early momentum, with low error rates....and Elliott has simply a solid game - we are good.

I do not have an issue with our new back line . Our old 2018 back line was a big issue . The players that have left were a big part of those issues . No loss there !

I believe under Des and under his new structures , philosophy and ability to lift and get the best out of his players , we will see a much improved effort from our backs and our team as a whole .

Having a few players out will make us less complacent and more focused and determined in our play. There are always positives that come out of set backs

THE 2019 SEASON WILL BE THE START OF A NEW ERA AND THE AWAKENING OF THE GREAT MANLY SPIRIT THAT WAS DORMANT UNDER A DRAGON

My heart and head both say it will be a win for the Born Again 2019 Des Manly Sea eagles
View attachment 10910

I have huge issues with our backline Bozo. It is plain ordinary but they are weakened out there too. Our first class forwards can get us a win if we defend well. Throw Nofoaluma and Mbye in there and they win. Throw Tommy and Walker in there as well and we probably win. Comp is so close. Have to get over the line in winnable games and this is winnable

Main worry for me is Marshall getting his outside backs on our outside shoulder with his massive long passes. If we let him do that we are cooked. You can’t make tackles if you don’t get there and they eat us for pace.

Last edited:
I have huge issues with our backline Bozo. It is plain ordinary but they are weakened out there too. Our first class forwards can get us a win if we defend well. Throw Nofoaluma and Mbye in there and they win. Throw Tommy and Walker in there as well and we probably win. Comp is so close. Have to get over the line in winnable games and this is winnable

Main worry for me is Marshall getting his outside backs on our outside shoulder with his massive long passes. If we let him do that we are cooked. You can’t make tackles if you don’t get there and they eat us for pace.

That’s my big concern as well.

I’ve gone against the tribe and picked the Tigers at home for that very reason.

Bunji might be getting old but he’s still got some class and boy do I fear those long passes to his speedy backs who will eat ours alive.

I sincerely hope ( and wish) Garrick / Elliott the best for their debut’s but add in Parker and Suli and holy dooley that back line looks average at best.

Add in Walker & Turbo and we’d win this.

But can’t help but feel we’ll go ok for a while but get blown off the park when the top forwards come off.

Might heart says yes but my mind says no. Fingers crossed. I didn't tip us only because when I do we usually lose so I didn't want to jinx us. It can be done but will require great defense, low error rate and a fair crack form the referees. Non one wins having to defend repeat sets on their own line on the back of penalties.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8