Question: is it better to get flogged for the rest of the season, in the long run?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mataiforever

Bencher
Genuine question.

If we get flogged again surely there is just more encouragement in clearing out the deadwood. Jorge getting dropped was a good, extremely overdue step in the right direction.

I have basically written off this season for myself. Only slight chance of making it is off the back of Tom coming back early and single-handedly scoring all our points for us (like always) and putting us on a winning streak.

Would fellow Silvertails like this? The danger of this (unlikely) scenario is that Tom's brilliance could mask up, yet again, our horrible weaknesses in our backs and depth. Could honestly see Croker and co getting contract upgrades off the back of this.

Is it best that we miss the 8, and focus on next year? That is - miss, shed the deadwood, have pressure to make a couple good signings, and hope we have an injury-free Tom for 2021 to push us towards the title?

The answer is of course is a resounding ‘No’.

Today’s advice: consider the ‘so what?’ or ‘what if’ factors before posting.

Things like:

1. Would we be in danger of winning our first wooden spoon?

2. What would be the impact on recruitment for next season?

3. What would be the impact on retaining sponsors and attracting new ones?

4. What would be the impact on memberships for next season?

5. How destabilising on and off field would such an outcome be? and

6. How soon before the relocation talk re-emerged?

7. As per point 1, would it make us a laughing stock?

Last edited:
You guys are missing the point. The question is over:
1. Winning some more games which would ease the pressure and likely result in sticking with Taufua, Elliott, Croker, Gosiewski etc for the longer term
Vs
2. losing games which would put pressure on clearing out some of the roster - maybe getting some cash for good signings i.e. Staggs/JAC on market...

If we started winning again there is clearly a higher chance the sh**ty players that have undone us time and time again will stay... considering the conservative nature of Des. Enter the loop: Tom in —> win most —> Tom injured —> lose most --> battle to make the 8 continues...

Sneaking into the 8 would largely shed the accountability of Des’s f*** ups this season. Missing it - would call for his head, or the players in the squad.

Last edited:
We are still in with a good chance to play finals football with some key injuries returning. Exposure to finals football is the best thing for the young players on this team. With our roster at full strength and a bit of luck we can go all the way - we have already shown that against the Eels, Storm and Chooks.

1. Winning some more games which would ease the pressure and likely result in sticking with Taufua, Elliott, Croker, Gosiewski etc for the longer term
Vs
2. losing games which would put pressure on clearing out some of the roster - maybe getting some cash for good signings i.e. Staggs/JAC on market...

If we started winning again there is clearly a higher chance the sh**ty players that have undone us time and time again will stay... considering the conservative nature of Des. Enter the loop: Tom in —> win most —> Tom injured —> lose most --> battle to make the 8 continues...

Sneaking into the 8 would largely shed the accountability of Des’s f*** ups this season. Missing it - would call for his head, or the players in the squad.
As unlikely as finals seem for us right now we still sit in 9th spot. It’s simple really we need to win starting today and have the sharks, knights and rabbits lose. I think we’ve just had a really poor run of luck this year both through injury and infield decisions. I don’t think getting beat each week will be good for this club.

Vs

We haven’t missed your point.

Your problem is it’s a very flawed one.

My fear would be that we lose all the way home and Des blames injuries this year and still backs the established players to turn it around in 2021..

I'd be more happy if the team proved me wrong about Des and didnt lose another game from here...

Unfortunately I reckon the first outcome has more chance of happening than the 2nd...

We are still in with a good chance to play finals football with some key injuries returning. Exposure to finals football is the best thing for the young players on this team. With our roster at full strength and a bit of luck we can go all the way - we have already shown that against the Eels, Storm and Chooks.
I hope we win EVERY game we play. Every single game no matter what the circumstances. If we had Adolph Hitler and Polpot on the wings I’d be cheering for us......but I see the gist of the original post in that Tom covers so many deficiencies in our tediously slow backline, both in attack and defence.

Good chance ? Knights are 1.37 today to beat us. If they do our season is over at 4pm .We play Melbourne in two weeks..From there it’s basically like winning lotto to make the eight. Our chances are miniscule at best but I like your thinking. Would be great to watch.Knights are right up there with my most hated teams.

As for going all the way ...like the thought also but pass the bong please

Last edited:
No. We need to keep building not falling into a heap to make a point. But we need to recognise and reward quality and potential. You can’t turn water into wine.

I would not like to lose for the rest of the season.

I thought you handled that very politely GE

I interpret that as you saying

No Fking way mate are you crazy, if you want to get flogged every week get on your stallion and hoof up to Red Hill. :p
It is so much fun yeah great Idea....

I am sorry if my translation was incorrect :talking:

seriously though in this case the means certainly does not justify the end. As per points Terry raised above.

I haven't given up on the season yet .... I am starting to mumble it is still mathematically possible ... But I haven't given up ...

And as far as dead wood goes ... I am not convinced we have that much .... This is a roster that came 6th last year ... and with players like Schuster, Hoppa, Burbo and Guacamole ready to step into the breach, and with players like Paseka Cust and Keppie improving .... I am happy with the squad going into 2021 ... with only a few culled ...

What I would like to see is more "fukk you" attitude from the pack ....

Genuine question.

If we get flogged again surely there is just more encouragement in clearing out the deadwood. Jorge getting dropped was a good, extremely overdue step in the right direction.

I have basically written off this season for myself. Only slight chance of making it is off the back of Tom coming back early and single-handedly scoring all our points for us (like always) and putting us on a winning streak.

Would fellow Silvertails like this? The danger of this (unlikely) scenario is that Tom's brilliance could mask up, yet again, our horrible weaknesses in our backs and depth. Could honestly see Croker and co getting contract upgrades off the back of this.

Is it best that we miss the 8, and focus on next year? That is - miss, shed the deadwood, have pressure to make a couple good signings, and hope we have an injury-free Tom for 2021 to push us towards the title?

Please go and Matai yourself @:D

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10