Resting Players Works

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

XV-1

First Grader
The two best performances so far this weekend just happened to be the two teams that rested a bunch of players in the last round.

I guarantee Parra will put the cleaners thru Newcastle tomorrow, after they rested a bunch of players also.

Imo Manly should have rested Marty, Croker, Foran and Harper and probably Turbo before the finals.

Thoughts

Happy to put the fox in the chicken coop......Did Des have more interest in getting his bonus for finishing in the top 4 instead of doing what was best for the side and resting some guys leading into the finals?
Or did he just not see that some guys were getting jaded and needed a rest....?
We had enough troops back from injury to give a few of them a run even if they may have been underdone and we lost a match.

Happy to put the fox in the chicken coop......Did Des have more interest in getting his bonus for finishing in the top 4 instead of doing what was best for the side and resting some guys leading into the finals?
We had enough troops back from injury to give a few of them a run even if they may have been underdone and we lost a match.
This did pop into my head as well

I don't see money as being Des's primary motivation @Smokin Joe Personally I would dismiss this theory out of hand. There were a number of contributing factors in why we lost, and why we played so poorly. I just don't think Des focussing on his bonus is one of them.

Des wanted the second chance and went for it regardless of the bonus he may have got. Top 8 was enough for a contract extension.

I think he knew that our young players and team overall might have had the yips and better to have that second chance just in case.

It would have been a luxury to rest some players but if we rested them, played the titans and went out week 1 then the question in this thread would have been different and our season would have been over.

Well spotted

I di not understand why Des did not rest half a dozen players in the last 2 weeks against the bottom two sides to ensure we were fresh first week

Now we have the reason.

I di not understand
We can't expect to understand, we just have to have faith.The proof of the pudding, etc.
Dessie walks on water!
no surprises wow GIF by Hotels.com

In round 25 we did not have certainty of where we would finish, the Whingers and the Drizzle pretty much knew their final positions and were able to rest their players accordingly.

We had to be full strength and although the result against the Cows in the end was a blow out, without our key players we would have struggled to win that game.

The spirit of 1978 where in a similar position, as of the last round we had to win to secure 3rd spot against Easts who were in 6th fighting to get into the 5.

That win gave us the double chance and after losing semi 1 to the Sharks, Manly went through an unprecedented run to finally secure the premiership, not a thought of resting players back them.

I believe its all about momentum, next week Manly need to start that again!

The two best performances so far this weekend just happened to be the two teams that rested many players in the last round.

I guarantee Parra will put the cleaners thru Newcastle tomorrow, after they rested a bunch of players also.

Imo Manly should have rested Marty, Croker, Foran and Harper and probably Turbo before the finals.

Thoughts
It was such a shame that we couldn't win one more game in the regular season. Some of the boys definitely looked a little jaded out there on Friday. The excellent news - Roosters appeared to be blowing hard last night. If we beat them, it won't be hard getting them up for a prelim; I don't imagine. Fingers crossed that Croker will be back.

Well depends.

Melbourne and Souths are good enough to not be troubled by those teams on an off day...we were only a try ahead of Cowboys with 12 minutes to go, and were behind Bulldogs at half time.
You earn the luxury of resting players. If we had lost to the Cowboys and come fifth I see no guarantee we wouldn't have put up a bumbling performance against the Titans, who played about as well they could, and been out in one. Let's see if the theory holds with Parra. On the brighter side our team seem only to be able to get up for three matches in a row and we had to pull out all stops to win a fourth to get in the top four. So maybe we will have three good matches from here on in

Turbo played 15 of a 25 game season.. don't you think sitting out almost half the season is rest enough???
Jake and Schuster had 5-6 week holidays not that long ago... Ide agree maybe cherry, Harper,foz and Croker could have all been rested at some point but not the blokes that missed huge chunks thru the season..

Turbo played 15 of a 25 game season.. don't you think sitting out almost half the season is rest enough???
Jake and Schuster had 5-6 week holidays not that long ago... Ide agree maybe cherry, Harper,foz and Croker could have all been rested at some point but not the blokes that missed huge chunks thru the season..
This. This is why not resting players isn't the excuse. Additionally, the last two weeks was basically the first time all year our full strength team was together. They needed the games to get in sync. They didn't, but still, Des needed to give them the opportunity to play together.

I honestly think Harper is playing a bit busted, Houmole I think played with too much uncontrolled emotion and I'm starting to question if Shoe is upset about Foz resigning for next year. Seems to align with when he started playing a bit lethargic.

We needed top 4 and a second chance. Des would have realised that all our young guys might choke in their first finals match. So resting could have put us 5th and out.

Rest players, come 5th. Play 8th and win with tails in the air.

Or bust a gut last round to win and get 4th to play the storm. Like we gave ourselves a hospital pass.

But Des got his bonus. 🥸

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8