Richie out with broken neck

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wouldn't mind Hiku on the bench. Pick the best 17 then worry about positions.
2V played 9 and even Hasler played on the wing for NSW.

mac said:
Manly To Win! said:
Horrible news for Richie, hope Wolfman can give him a lot of advice and encouragement. Would prefer Gower replace him on the bench, prop for prop.

Is there anyone bigger than Gower? We need someone intimidating to handle JWH and also run directly at Maloney....Who would our biggest alternative be? obviously Hassan/Gower are relatively mobile but wouldn't mind a large bopper to take Richie's place....ie, I wish the Kingdog was not injured and fit.....

Considering that Gower is bigger than Fuss, I don't see the issue.

I do agree with you on Kingy though, we've missed him all year.

Wolfpack said:
mac said:
Manly To Win! said:
Horrible news for Richie, hope Wolfman can give him a lot of advice and encouragement. Would prefer Gower replace him on the bench, prop for prop.

Is there anyone bigger than Gower? We need someone intimidating to handle JWH and also run directly at Maloney....Who would our biggest alternative be? obviously Hassan/Gower are relatively mobile but wouldn't mind a large bopper to take Richie's place....ie, I wish the Kingdog was not injured and fit.....

Considering that Gower is bigger than Fuss, I don't see the issue.

I do agree with you on Kingy though, we've missed him all year.

I've missed Joe G more.

Shocking luck for Ritchie and I do hope he makes a full recovery.

As for his replacement, I would go for Hiku to cover a multitude of positions.

Very bad luck for Richie. He's helped the team get where they are. Hope they can win it for the players that unfortunately have to move on and players like Richie who won't be playing due to breaking their bodies for the Sea Eagles.

All the best for your recovery Richie.

Even though you aren't playing on Sunday, you are 1 of the reasons we are there.

The young forward with a Croat-Serb type surname was very impressive a few weeks ago. Is he a option as a replacement for Richard Fa'aoso? Richard Fa'aoso has valuable Grand Final experience from last years Melbourne Storm Premiership winning team.

The manly website has Gower and Hasson both at 105kgs....if its one of these two to replace Richie it raises a question in my mind and that is why have the fringe players had so little time on the field during the regular season ie especial games where we were clearly on top...right now it's hard to say who's the better player because we just haven't seen much of them....I get it that's it's almost impossible to get eg Choc off the field BUT giving fringe players more time has multi benefits like learning more about them , developing their confidence, skills and morale, protecting and managing strategic players a little via the early shower...ok not a massive issue but gee with a GF coming its a important call.....good luck Richie and thanks for your efforts this year....

It might be hard for you to say who is better, but I'm sure Toovey and the coaching staff know which qualities they want. From what I've seen, Hasson is capable of a more intimidating hit but Gower is busier, gets more involved, has a handy (and safe) offload and is vastly more experienced in grade footy.

As for needing size to combat the Chooks - you don't always need to fight fire with fire. In fact sometimes water does the job much better (not with electrical fires though!)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
It might be hard for you to say who is better, but I'm sure Toovey and the coaching staff know which qualities they want. From what I've seen, Hasson is capable of a more intimidating hit but Gower is busier, gets more involved, has a handy (and safe) offload and is vastly more experienced in grade footy.

As for needing size to combat the Chooks - you don't always need to fight fire with fire. In fact sometimes water does the job much better (not with electrical fires though!)

It was mentioned last week that the Knights actually had a bigger pack than the Roosters. Having bigger, experienced albeit aging forwards didn't stop them from getting pumped.

I'd go with Gower. I would want to bring in someone reliable who can back up the stars in our forward pack.

That's really tough for Fa'oaso and I wish him the best recovery. We've got quite a list of valued forwards who are unfortunate not to be playing next week because of injury.

I'm sure your right on Tooveys decision making , maybe that extra off load ability could just be critical against the games best defensive unit, maybe the chooks with miss that ability in Gower but Foz or DCE won,t racing away to score under the posts to close out the game, gee I've already played the GF in my head 20 times today whilst walking in front of trucks, tripping over cafe chairs and attempting to walk through a closed glass door, my face hurts...ps one dream prior to the south game I kept thinking about was glen kicking for Brett to score except mine was a chip kick from inside and 20 and Brett raced 80 metres to score, way better try!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-prop-richie-faaoso-ruled-out-of-nrl-grand-final-with-broken-neck/story-fni3gnk1-1226729507799
Soon after, Fa’aoso was taken to hospital where an MRI scan confirmed his C7 vertebrae had been fractured.

Despite having to spend the next six weeks in a neck brace, which will also rule him out of playing with Tonga at the upcoming World Cup, the 28-year-old has told his closest friends he is confident of returning to league again next year.

“I rang Richie straight after it happened and the bloke is just shattered,’’ Tongan coach Charlie Tonga said Sunday night.
“Richie is stable and continues to improve,’’ a Sea Eagles staffer said. “He’s understandably devastated at missing the Grand Final but Sea Eagles medical staff are confident there will be no long term issues and he will be at 100 per cent by the start of the 2014 season.”

While initial X-rays did not show any damage, a subsequent MRI scan identified the broken bone in his neck. Friends said Sunday night that the powerful forward, who only married a few weeks ago, had been released from hospital and was home with family.
----------------
I think that Wolfie had fractured his C6 and he has come back fully recovered.
So sending the healing energies to Richie :angel:

It is almost unbelievable to me that players nowadays contemplate playing NRL after breaking their necks - and actually do come back. Ben Ross, Wolfman, the Penrith prop too I think? I recall when Ross made a comeback I could barely watch him play as I pictured him being fragile and at risk of death or paralysis. Yet he's gone well, as of course has Wolfie.

Amazing. The wonders of modern medical science, I suppose. And a testament to the guts of some players. Best of luck Richie with your recovery.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4