RIP Rugby league week

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
http://www.nrl.com/nrl-to-acquire-immortals-rights/tabid/10874/newsid/104454/default.aspx

The NRL said today it has agreed to purchase the rights to the Immortals.

CEO Todd Greenberg said today the NRL would acquire the rights from Bauer Media Pty Ltd, which has owned the Immortals trade mark.

Mr Greenberg said the move to acquire the Immortals follows the NRL securing the rights to the Dally M Awards.

Makes sense....until Greenberg makes himself an immortal!

Errr... an article or two.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/rug...e/news-story/e9444ddb3b99c346ce92e2235c460981

THE crash-landing of an email carrying the news of a pending final whistle for a great sporting magazine, Rugby League Week, was not quite the jolt it would once have been.

For some time there had been signs that the challenges posed by a vast, all-encompassing media in what seemed an almost daily-changing world would one day overwhelm little RLW.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...rtals-best-ever-nrl/slbo46xjp0nn1r4g9xye8dkkv

Used to by RLW religiously, it was much better publication than Big League. However stopped buying it a few years ago as it became more and more sensationalist. At the same time, I thought quality of the articles in BL improved. Still, a big part of League history has gone.

The Sydney Morning Herald and the Sun-Herald will be next. Both are shadows of their former credible selves.

Let's hope the Telegraph and the Bronco Mail follow.

My daughter is the marketing coordinator for RMIT Uni in Melbourne.

They have a very big budget, much of which used to be spent in papers , she said it's now less than 5%, and by years end will be zero.

Google and social media is the new world of advertising.

merged with RIP RLW thread because they are the one in the same topic

Hopefully the Nrl dosn't make it a free for all with the Immortals. The only one I disagree with is Johns....he was a bloody drug addict when he was playing. The only current player that I think deserves to be there is Thurston. If they ever put Scam Smith in there I'll walk away from footy!

Last edited:
Hopefully the Nrl dosn't make it a free for all with the Immortals. The only one I disagree with is Johns....he was a bloody drug attic when he was playing. The only current player that I think deserves to be there is Thurston. If they ever put Scam Smith in there I'll walk away from footy!

He's guaranteed , so brace yourself!

The immortals is in danger of looking as ridiculous as most other of the NRLs bumbling ventures , albeit this one theyve inherited now, if they don't fix the wrong that is the exclusion of Norm Provan.
No modern day player should have been included over someone with the colossal record such as his.

The immortals is in danger of looking as ridiculous as most other of the NRLs bumbling ventures , albeit this one theyve inherited now, if they don't fix the wrong that is the exclusion of Norm Provan.
No modern day player should have been included over someone with the colossal record such as his.

And it needs to be done whilst he's alive!!

It is a sad that that RLW is going. My memory of that magazine is doing work experience there in 1982 and meeting some of the great footy journalists like Ian Heads, Phil Tresidder and I remember at the time that Hartley and ZtH worked there as well and I remember being asked to collect ZtH's dry cleaning and get him a coffee. I was a wide eyed kid, Manly were 2nd that year and we won the Amco midweek cup beating Newtown and I went to that game after a day of work at RLW. Great memories for me. RLW over the years was the premier magazine. I preferred it to Big League which is owned by News Filth as it was independent and at the time was the face of everything and everyone who opposed the super league farce in 1995.

Let's hope the Telegraph and the Bronco Mail follow.

My daughter is the marketing coordinator for RMIT Uni in Melbourne.

They have a very big budget, much of which used to be spent in papers , she said it's now less than 5%, and by years end will be zero.

Google and social media is the new world of advertising.
Mark, News Ltd papers will survive. Despite the tabloid style of many they still are hiring and rewarding quality journalists (I know that will get me some negative posts) particularly for publications such as The Australian. Unfortunately the once mighty Fairfax organisation is now run by bean counters and it is all about cutting costs. They rarely break any news, and their sporting coverage is always 24-hours behind News Ltd.
I have worked for both organisations. I'm very disappointed to see what has happened to Fairfax because when it was family owned and run it was a great place to work, with real comardarie.

The NRL need to sort out the Immortals concept, far to haphazard

For mine there should be an NRL “Hall of Fame” and the Immortals (there may already be a hall of fame but it is rubbish)

My view is they launch/re-launch the Hall of fame with 25 players (Immortals included in this bunch), make a big deal of it and then each year on grand final day 2 people get inducted into the hall of fame. Now I say people because I don’t think the Hall of fame needs to be restricted to just players, Bennett, Warren, Hyde, Gibson, Arthurson could all find a place in the NRL Hall of Fame. As far as players go, the Hall of Fame would recognise players like Menzies, Lyons, Lyon, Toovey, Eadie, Bull, Krilich, Clyde, Meniga, Daley, Stuart, Lamb, Sterling, Kenny, Grothe Snr, Lockyer, Webke, Civencieva, Renouf, Langer, Minnichello, Gallen, Marshall, Thurston, Price, Coote and 50 others, prestigious, the cream of the crop, players that have impacted our game

Then the Immortals is a significant step up.

For players only and 1 inductee every 10 years, with the next in 2010 and then 2020, 2030, 2040 etc etc. The immortals should remain super exclusive and only for those once a generation types

Also the key thing in my view is that for both the immortals and Hall of Fame players need to be retired at least 5 years to be nominated

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10