Robbo Vs The Young guns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Have to always look to the future,Wolfman is a much more devastating runner then Robbo, and younger as well, it's a no brainer.

Robbo is great, and especially great for Manly. I don't see why we'd ever want him to go.
I remember BK saying a few years back that he always took inspiration from Robbo and the way he threw himself into his footy. He's a genuine iron man, never breaks down, and will never let the team down.

Scored for us on Monday and saved a try as well. He's gold. Unassuming, efficient, hard working, safe under the high ball and a try scorer. Who wouldn't want to keep him until he calls it quits.

Robbo over Wolfie. Hoppa and Oldfield over Robbo. I'm a big Wolfie fan, but unfortunately we can't keep paying a guy who is never playing.

It's a no-brainer really Peter...and I can't believe this argument is still getting airtime, so I'll try and put it to bed for you. But I'm not that optimistic that I will get through to you and some others.

By my calculations Robertson has played in 79 first grade games and scored around 40 tries - essentially one try every two games (and a big chunk of the last two years spent playing out of position) - since David Williams made his first-grade debut in 2008. And of course Robertson has now played 138 first-grade games (for Manly) in a row and in every minute of every one of those games.

Williams, wonderful player that he is when fit and in form, has played in 40 games since making his debut three years ago. He's scored 27 tries and kicked two goals in those games. Great effort - but if he was as robust as Robbo, Williams would be up around 80 first-grade games by now and presumably would have scored many more points. But he hasn't and therefore he is a more logical choice to leave at the end of 2011. Don't you think his non-selection last night is the best indication of where the coach sees his value vis-a-vis the likes of Robertson? He wasn't rushed back into the team like Stewart was he?

I'd swear that if the Internet had been in existence circa 1979, there would be some Manly fans wishing the Club would release Tom Mooney to retain someone younger and quicker like say - Manly junior (of that era) Chris Montgomery. Qualifier: there was no salary cap back then.

That would be the Tom Mooney that sits fourth on Manly's all-time first-grade try scoring list, just ahead of Cliff Lyons. The same Mooney who twice topped the try scoring lists in 1976 and 1979 - the latter a year when Manly didn't even make the semis. Robertson is similar to Mooney as a player (nowhere near as fiery!) and he is surely up there with Mooney as one of our best ever wingers.

So please, just recognise Robertson for the great clubman he is and continues to be and will continue to be for several more seasons. And ponder how many more games we might have lost without him in the team in 2009 and 2010, whilst Stewart was unavailable.

Robbo can stay as long as he wants... he is an absolute gem. Hasn't made a mistake since 1985. Love the wolfman but we should sell him off as he is oz/blues rep player and an asset to any team off the field... we would get a good price. Robba and hoppa on the wings with oldfield to take robbo's spot when robbo decide's he's had enough. I'm very glad Des is our coach and not some of you blokes....

The Indian said:
I would be happy if we kept Robbo but not at the expense of a younger player. To me Oldfield is a much more threatening presence on the wing already ( albeit not as reliable as Robbo.. yet ).

Wingers get old very quick and better off being a year too soon than a year too late. This is not a personal knock on Robbo who has been a great clubman and in an ideal non salary cap world would always have a spot in our team.. but his age is already showing and he cant be a priority for us anymore.

Time moves on.

Tough tough call we are lucky we dont have to make. Personally i sway towards letting robbo get a ESL contract if he can get a good one. It is an EXCELLENT and realistic point The Indian has made about wingers in comparison to say a Beaver Menzies..
Good luck either way to the new CEO. GO MANLY!

before you go writing off Robo lets see who's fit to take the field. It's a long season & some of the boys are already limping after one game.

:)

Hopoate-Robbo-Wolf-Oldfield

That is the order for the current time
Depends on how many years he wants to stay on our
shores,but he may go to Warrington sometime soon

I'd take Oldfield over D.Williams. He's younger, faster, cheaper, has a similar skill set & isn't crocked.

It'd be nice for the club to keep Robbo but I guess a lot of it depends on how high Hoppa's price gets pushed in the negotiations.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. sadly, the wolf is mostly broken. order of priority: hoppa, wangman, oldfield, wolfman

Phantar said:
I'd swear that if the Internet had been in existence circa 1979, there would be some Manly fans wishing the Club would release Tom Mooney to retain someone younger and quicker like say - Manly junior (of that era) Chris Montgomery. Qualifier: there was no salary cap back then.

That would be the Tom Mooney that sits fourth on Manly's all-time first-grade try scoring list, just ahead of Cliff Lyons. The same Mooney who twice topped the try scoring lists in 1976 and 1979 - the latter a year when Manly didn't even make the semis. Robertson is similar to Mooney as a player (nowhere near as fiery!) and he is surely up there with Mooney as one of our best ever wingers.

Mooney simply hated opposing wingers getting away from him. He didn't care what was going on inside him, if there was something on he just stuck to his opposite no. and belted them if and when they got the ball.

Just on Tommy Mooney he is a very wealthy man indeed these days.He owns a pubs in Byron that is worth an absolute fortune.Great bloke so if anyone is ever up there drop in and say hello.Always has the Manly game on the telly and loves having a chat to fans.

I'll admit I doubted the guy early doors this season. Never again though. Happy for him to stay as long as he likes.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8