Post-Game Discussion Roosters v Manly [Round 23, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Roosters
Vs
Sea Eagles
26 Sydney Cricket Ground
03 Aug 2023 19:50
80:00 minute

Match Stats

From Post #1

FULL TIME SCORE

Roosters: 26
Manly: 16

365403342_858901259001457_7009241355999166251_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

Team Victory Song:

giphy1.gif

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews: TBA

Match Report:

Game Stats Review: TBA

Match Highlights:

Extended Match Highlights:

Full Match Replay Link:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics & Video Clips:

Press Print & Video Articles: TBA

‘Vicious’: Nathan Brown sent off for ugly tackle

Sea Eagles Judiciary News: TBA

No Manly players were placed on report during the game but things could change once the Match Review Committee review the game and decide if they need to charge one of our players post-match.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

weak

I started fast forwarding early as I knew we were fried when Saab chickened out and let the roosters catch a 5th tackle bomb leading to a try.
Should've found a hen's night at least there'd be a few good eggs in there.

DCE is the most grossly overrated player, 2nd only to Nathan Cleary.

DCE was badly outplayed by Luke Keary last night & just when Manly needed him most. Typical. Another big game & DCE goes missing. He’s a Gigantic waste of money & space.

Schuster was mostly trash, but what is DCE excuse.

We have points in us BUT the 2 parts of our game that need micro coaching is defence and discipline, its killing us for far too long...
Points in us??? I must’ve been watching a different game?!! We had A MOUNTAIN of possession in their red zone and could not muster a single point other than a penalty for 3/4 of that game!! Our attack was pathetic!!! Actually I’d say our defence wasn’t totally disastrous considering we lost a forward and rhe possession turned 180 thanks to the reffing and his constant 6 agains.

Agree with the bulk of your assessment. Parker and Croker gave their all like they always do

DCE was badly outplayed by Luke Keary last night & just when Manly needed him most. Typical. Another big game & DCE goes missing. He’s a Gigantic waste of money & space.

Hmmm our forwards got smashed thats a reasonable enough excuse for a half to struggle. You clearly know nothing about football if you dont understand that.

Points in us??? I must’ve been watching a different game?!! We had A MOUNTAIN of possession in their red zone and could not muster a single point other than a penalty for 3/4 of that game!! Our attack was pathetic!!! Actually I’d say our defence wasn’t totally disastrous considering we lost a forward and rhe possession turned 180 thanks to the reffing and his constant 6 agains.
Yep, there were periods during the game, particularly at the start, where we had excellent attacking opportunities - penalties and repeat sets had us camped on the Roosters' try line. They kept giving away repeat sets and waited for us to… do nothing. Which is exactly what we did. We were woeful. No plan, no set plays, no players in motion, just throw it down the short side and see what happens. And nothing happened. That's what lost us the game: our inability to capitalise and score points when it mattered.

To be fair, I thought it was pretty obvious that injuries and fatigue (those three games in 11 days didn't help) caught up to us. We were going through the motions and didn't hand over possession cheaply like we sometimes do, but we lacked energy and any sense of purpose.

Our attack in the first 25 minutes was very very ordinary. We had enough ball and field position to score 3 tries and came up with one penalty goal. Another poor performance and that’s why we are in the bottom half of the ladder.

I was generalising not one game

High completion rate in the is the i st half for Manly but what did it achieve .
Just too much one out running , just so easy prey for the Roosters, no overall variation in attack , dead end finishes on a couple of 5 th tackle sets on their line .
Never looked like seriously threating their line , Again i ask , who is the main or official attacking coach and if the side were playing to instructions , what a feeble game plan . Especially against a usually noted good defensive outfit .
When they finally did move or spread the ball from early in the 2 nd half or on occasions , things at least looked like they could happen
And to have to watch it unfold and not for the first time this season , just not good enough really and so trying to have to sit through .
This is not what Manly traditional footy is all about .
2nd half , at least they were finally trying something but way too late ..
Out played , out coached with game approach , Lodge going down certainly did not help but not the main reason for another below par overall team performance .
Good to see Burbo really trying to step up , Matterson looked enthusiastic , Haumole probably the only serious threat . Regardless of other matters , should have had Sam Fainu on the bench , Arron [ Woods ] tries to put in but almost zilch impact .
Saab still a work in progress , as is Koula but still very good futures ahead of them . Ray Ray had a go and can not ask more then that . Shu has to realize that things are just not automatically going to happen for him , he has to make that extra effort and application to make it happen
This side can be better then so many of the ordinary performances for quite some time now
Like to give every encouragement to a new coach or coaching approach but something seems seriously amiss with a lot of things happening with overall team play

I only watched the first half but I thought Manly played reasonably well. If Croker had scored that try before the Roosters scored their third, we could have been looking at a very different result.

I also think many people are downplaying the short turnaround and the early loss of Lodge, which compounded the loss of Paseka and Tippytoes in the last two weeks. Although young Vaega wasn’t the disaster some were predicting. He looks a keeper.

Then throw in not having our most decisive attacking player for much of the season and we are invariably short of a few attacking options.

Think I'll give Seibs presser a miss tonight, kinda know the script by now.
It's like he went and watched on Trent Barrett's old press conferences and just regurgitated it. It's the same bla, bla, bla

No Tom, no Paseka, no Aloiai, no Keppie, and Lodge goes down in the 2nd minute. There’s your result right there…nothing to do with a lack of heart.
Our lack of forward momentum would have been helped had we had Fainu on the bench instead of Woods. It is ridiculous that the selectors are so bloody-minded to punish the team because Fainu will not be here next season. And who's fault is that?
Blind Freddy knows the the Fainu Bros offered some hope for the future, as did the two young props we gifted to Illawarra. Now we have an ageing roster many of whom are injury-prone and others who are simply not up to NRL standard.
Almost all of our 17 were poor tonight, but the selectors and management of our club must shoulder much of the blame.
I ask: who is excited about our chances in 2024? If membership doesn't plummet next season I'll be very surprised.

I don’t know what people expect a coach to say.

Des mumbled & gave nothing away - complaints.

Seibold answers questions directly & doesn’t throw his players under the bus - complaints.

Are people expecting him to carry on like Ricky Stuart, calling opposition players dogs & telling us he’s got a shed full of players who are all hurting?

What difference does it make anyway? Has anyone ever heard a coach say anything after a loss that would satisfy a pissed-off fan base?

Last edited:

DCE is not over-rated. History will prove how wrong you are.
Yes, he was below par tonight, but at least he had a crack. There were another 10 players out there who just went through their paces, and they hadn't had the arduous season that DCE has endured. What other Manly player has played every minute of three SOO matches plus every minute of every possible Manly match this season? And I'll bet he is winning the Silvertails' MOM awards by a mile.
DCE will go down as the best halfback in Manly's history. I've seen them since the early 60's and we've had many champion halfbacks in that time. Tooves, Blake, Gibbs, Orford, Mayes to name a few.
It is irritating when I read such an uninformed opinion expressed as the one you proffered. I can only assume you were posting whilst angry at the overall woeful performance of the team. Whilst I was disappointed at the performance it was as I expected. The 17 selected were always going to struggle, and when Lodge was injured who was his back-up?
Woods.
Enough said.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8