Have any of you ever been to a business meeting at 7 am on a Saturday? Gimme a break, why don't they be honest and admit he was tanked up fro the night before and was driving home?

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Gallop to meet Carney privately.....pity the Goose didn't do that two years ago with Brett....I am really over that guy!!

Maybe Carney is going to give Gallop a hummer?

Shoe1 link said:
Have any of you ever been to a business meeting at 7 am on a Saturday? Gimme a break, why don't they be honest and admit he was tanked up fro the night before and was driving home?

Probably more like training Shoe. But on the other hand a business meeting can be as simple as coffee at your local bondi cafe.

Fonz link said:
But on the other hand a business meeting can be as simple as coffee at your local bondi cafe.

Maybe his manager needs to schedule these important meetings at a more appropriate place and time. Say, 1-00am at the Basement.

Point taken, I am setting up a few business meetings at present, hmm should I have the meetings at .. Say .. Sometime between 9 and 5 on a weekday? ... Hell no! 7am on a weekend is much more appropriate, what was I thinking! Business hours are for squares!

Duff link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=186596.msg318882#msg318882 date=1298950807]
[quote author=lsz link=topic=186596.msg318877#msg318877 date=1298949041]
Devils advocate time

Maybe, just maybe Gallop has learned some sort of lesson from the stewie case and is trying a different approach.

Might thoughts exactly.

To everyone on here complaining, we complained at the way Brett was treated and now complain when other players are treated differently. We can't have it both ways.

Either Brett was treated right, or this is an improvement and we should be happy.
[/quote]

It's not about that now.

If it's good enough for one player to be wronged then it's good enough for all to be.
We complained, no admission of wrong doing was forthcoming. That says that they haven't learned their lesson & will stand by their actions. Now is the time for them to stand by their actions or come out as hypocrites.
[/quote]

Hypocrites?  Aren't you a hypocrite for complaining about how Snake was handled but now you want the same punishment for everyone else?

Comrades, Souths and the Rorters are the darlings of the NRL.  Who cares about Carney, I'm sure Brett doesn't give a flying f.  He's into getting recompensed and playing footie.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1299115985[/time]

Unfairness exists all over the world.  Get over it and move on.  A new season beckons.

lsz link said:
If they investigate the case and take appropriate action then it is an improvement.

We all know Brett should have been investigated etc not judged. At least this sounds like a move forward
That's all well and good if the NRL and Gallop admitted they totally stuffed up with how they handled the Brett Stewart situation.  But they don't. They still maintain the four weeks suspension and $100k fine were appropriate for a situation where their definition of excessive alcohol was consumed at the function, irrespective that no laws were broken, and no-one was even alleged (much less proven) to have driven DUI.  And they reckon the innocent verdict proved they handled the situation 100% appropriately. Meanwhile the list of Roosters wild drunks only grows, another one after this latest Carney incident. No $100k fine in sight.

If they can't admit their errors, and articulate a clear and unambiguous path forward for ALL teams and ALL players, then heads should roll.  $10k fine for Carney driving DUI once again? 4 week suspension for Brett not driving DUI?

And if they can't apologise to Brett and Manly for their ill-judged, over-the-top, knee-jerk reaction, then they should hang their heads in shame.

Gallop is a goose, plain and simple. If the NRL don't suspend Carney for 4 weeks then it'll just be further proof of that fact.

By the way Foxsports is reporting the $10K fine and warning is from the NRL and not the Roosters. If that is true then it is a joke.

As has been pointed out already, basically every subsequent decision/suspension since the Stewart case has merely highlighted how poorly he was treated.

He was hung out to dry by his employers (the NRL, not Manly of course) and deserved far better treatment. His reputation has been tarnished irreparably because he was handed a penalty by his own competition which was given on the presumption of guilt.

That a serial offender can get preferential treatment over a noted cleanskin, when both happened in pre-season and both were central figures in the NRL's season launch/promotion that year, is pretty disappointing.

Masked Eagle link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186596.msg318896#msg318896 date=1298952281]
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=186596.msg318882#msg318882 date=1298950807]
[quote author=lsz link=topic=186596.msg318877#msg318877 date=1298949041]
Devils advocate time

Maybe, just maybe Gallop has learned some sort of lesson from the stewie case and is trying a different approach.

Might thoughts exactly.

To everyone on here complaining, we complained at the way Brett was treated and now complain when other players are treated differently. We can't have it both ways.

Either Brett was treated right, or this is an improvement and we should be happy.
[/quote]

It's not about that now.

If it's good enough for one player to be wronged then it's good enough for all to be.
We complained, no admission of wrong doing was forthcoming. That says that they haven't learned their lesson & will stand by their actions. Now is the time for them to stand by their actions or come out as hypocrites.
[/quote]

Hypocrites?  Aren't you a hypocrite for complaining about how Snake was handled but now you want the same punishment for everyone else?

[/quote]

Ummm. No. How am I a hypocrite? I said Brett was treated wrongly and complained about that. What I said about this was that I want Carney treated wrongly as well, so it's fair.
I'm not now saying that it's right.

Once there is precedent, that's it. It's too late for them to learn their lesson after the event.

Honestly I don't feel we have any right to complain. If Stewart was treated this way we would have felt fair done by, the fact that he was harshly done by in no way requires every single future player to be mistreated equally. Perhaps Gallop has seen the error of his ways, certainly it looks that way to me.

BTW, I must have been very tired when I wrote the last post, 'Might thoughts...' WT?

Rusty link said:
Honestly I don't feel we have any right to complain. If Stewart was treated this way we would have felt fair done by, the fact that he was harshly done by in no way requires every single future player to be mistreated equally. Perhaps Gallop has seen the error of his ways, certainly it looks that way to me.

BTW, I must have been very tired when I wrote the last post, 'Might thoughts...' WT?

I agree Rusty.  Time to move on.  Brett knows we support him and he'll handle the legalities of whats to come in due course.  I seriously hope he doesn't carry with him the hate/anger that some people still seem to have because its a terrible way to live.  I doubt we'd see the same free spirited, thrilling player from before if he's using rage to drive him.

Rusty link said:

I agree with your logic, however the fact remains that Gallup hasn't said anything has changed. If Gallup had come out and said, look we may have overreacted with the Brett Stewart incident and here's how we will handle this in the future, then I would be happy with the Carney result. But if you write to Gallup today and ask for an explanation, he will still say he took the appropriate action in the circumstances.

So the rules haven't changed, except if you're an Easts player.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2