Round 3 - Multicultural Round

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be your Huckleberry @Woodsie We all know that there multiple definitions of the term, based on context or agendas ...
I am running with the following definition, as it potentially suits the NRLs intention in creating the round
Multiculturalism is a situation in which all the different cultural or racial groups in a society have equal rights and opportunities, and none is ignored or considered unimportant.

Arguably, this situation already exists in the NRL. Yes it could definitely be enhanced, but we are already a long way down that particular road.

What a wonderful world we live in ... we can just choose the definition we prefer ...

Now, name any piece of land on this planet .. where 2 or more cultures or racial groups, of equal strength, have lived in peace and harmony ...

Rather than multi- cultural ... we should be endeavouring to have elements of all the other cultures welcomed to Australia ... with the goal to enhance, enrich, expand and evolve the one Australian culture into something greater ... just like the Scots, Irish, Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese and many others have done for the past 100 years and more ...

The concept of having multi - cultures is diabolically short sighted and stupid ... and promoted by people with only a nodding relationship with history and human nature ...

Multiculturalism is a situation in which all the different cultural or racial groups in a society have equal rights and opportunities, and none is ignored or considered unimportant.

And NO to this ... whilst I believe all people should have equal rights and opportunities ... the nonsensical suggestion that all cultures should enjoy equal rights and opportunities is preposterous ....
Are you suggesting that female circumcision should be allowed ... or perhaps burning the living widow with her husband ....

And NO to this ... whilst I believe all people should have equal rights and opportunities ... the nonsensical suggestion that all cultures should enjoy equal rights and opportunities is preposterous ....
Are you suggesting that female circumcision should be allowed ... or perhaps burning the living widow with her husband ....

I'm not raising to the troll bait on this occasion mate. Let's come back to this discussion at the end of the season. The footy is finally back on, and that's all I am interested in right now.

It is pleasing to note that you believe all people should have enjoy equal rights and opportunities. I believe that is the basis of the NRL multicultural promotion.

Arguably, you provided your own definition of multiculturalism in your previous post..... "we should be endeavouring to have elements of all the other cultures welcomed to Australia ... with the goal to enhance, enrich, expand and evolve the one Australian culture into something greater ... just like the Scots, Irish, Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese and many others have done for the past 100 years and more ..."

This sounds remarkably like a " cultural melting pot". Yet another definition of multiculturalism.

Anyway, back to the footy. Go Manly.

We have an indigenous round , and that’s a great idea as we have a lot of indigenous players.

But honestly NRL, you’ve opened Pandora’s Box.
indigenous round to celebrate the First Nations people of this country and their wonderful contribution to the sport. That is the only specialty round we should have imo. I like having a rivalry round as well, but there’s not meaning in that really other than pitting teams who don’t like one another against each other.

indigenous round to celebrate the First Nations people of this country and their wonderful contribution to the sport. That is the only specialty round we should have imo. I like having a rivalry round as well, but there’s not meaning in that really other than pitting teams who don’t like one another against each other.
110% agree

I don’t see any harm in this - multiculturalism essentially means people of all nationalities/ethnicities/cultures are welcome.

That’s what Australia’s all about anyway so it’s not exactly breaking new ground, just reinforcing the notion.

I'm not raising to the troll bait on this occasion mate. Let's come back to this discussion at the end of the season. The footy is finally back on, and that's all I am interested in right now.

It is pleasing to note that you believe all people should have enjoy equal rights and opportunities. I believe that is the basis of the NRL multicultural promotion.

Arguably, you provided your own definition of multiculturalism in your previous post..... "we should be endeavouring to have elements of all the other cultures welcomed to Australia ... with the goal to enhance, enrich, expand and evolve the one Australian culture into something greater ... just like the Scots, Irish, Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese and many others have done for the past 100 years and more ..."

This sounds remarkably like a " cultural melting pot". Yet another definition of multiculturalism.

Anyway, back to the footy. Go Manly.

Haahhha ... Trolling is the new ... I've got nothing but will belittle your comments as spam because ... derp derp ... just because ...

And no ... a cultural melting pot is not another definition of multiculturalism .... it is the complete opposite ...

Haahhha ... Trolling is the new ... I've got nothing but will belittle your comments as spam because ... derp derp ... just because ...

And no ... a cultural melting pot is not another definition of multiculturalism .... it is the complete opposite ...
Not necessarily @Woodsie I would argue that contemporary multiculturalism incorporates elements of interculturalism, cultural pluralism AND the melting pot metaphor as well.

No doubt I would get disagreement from both extremes of the political spectrum. Particularly from left wing academics, but that is how I see multiculturalism working successfully in future societies.

The trolling simply referred to your nonsensical examples of cultural traditions that are already prohibited in Australian society.

I'm done with this discussion for now. You can please yourself mate.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

lol

Not necessarily @Woodsie I would argue that contemporary multiculturalism incorporates elements of interculturalism, cultural pluralism AND the melting pot metaphor as well.

No doubt I would get disagreement from both extremes of the political spectrum. Particularly from left wing academics, but that is how I see multiculturalism working successfully in future societies.

The trolling simply referred to your nonsensical examples of cultural traditions that are already prohibited in Australian society.

I'm done with this discussion for now. You can please yourself mate.

Getting sick of googling, cutting and pasteing ?

Just admit you jumped on the multicultural bandwagon because it sounds warm and fuzzy , and the progressive thing to do .. I feel you ... I would too ..

But it is a misnomer ... no same person could ever wish to live in an Australia with more than one equal culture ...

I am trying to recall the outrage last year when this happened?

No outrage .. I am simply discussing what people think is meant by multiculturalism .. l am certain the NRL and our kind hearted Silvertailians, like me, are all supportive of the inclusion of people from any ethnic or cultural background.

And a round celebrating that is fantastic ..

I just don't like the term or concept of multi cultures within Australia.

No outrage .. I am simply discussing what people think is meant by multiculturalism .. l am certain the NRL and our kind hearted Silvertailians, like me, are all supportive of the inclusion of people from any ethnic or cultural background.

And a round celebrating that is fantastic ..

I just don't like the term or concept of multi cultures within Australia.
Again this is where we differ as it is something that I like in Australia (the celebration of multi-cultures that tie up into Australia)

I like Multi cultures. Would be one hell of a boring place if everyone was the same! (Although I must admit that I'm not really into cultural ghettos popping up in different parts of town.)

As far as the NRL goes I honestly can't really see a downside in multiculturalism round. It doesn't favor any particular group or ethnicity.

Again this is where we differ as it is something that I like in Australia (the celebration of multi-cultures that tie up into Australia)

Yes .. but your last line is the point .. that tie up into Australia ..

There can only be one culture .. an evolving, growing, broadening entity that absorbs and adopts the best from the many ... but at the end of the day .. we must all be Australians ... NOT a group of "multi" cultures.

The definition is in the word Woodsie. Multi means more than one. Culture means culture. Ism means “of” the word that precedes it.

It’s a bit like monorail. Mono means one and rail means rail.

Exactly ... my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4