Rumours/news about Manly from Nick Tedeschi

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
But I am satisfied with the answered I got.
Question - How do you know he can't coach?
Answer - We don't, but...

That is all I wanted. I am happy with that.
you should add my "and that's the problem" quote if you really want to rationalize the dialogue. Are you Trent's wife? .

Are you just repeatedly ignoring the fact I have repeatedly told you he is an assistant coach.

It seems you are repeatedly ignoring the fact that I have repeatedly drawn on his role at Penrith in my earlier posts;

Coaching a 3 day camp like City/Country is not enough of an indication, neither is working behind a head coach at Penrith IMO.

And that the vast majority of NRL head coaches get hired from assistant positions not 20's or NSW cup. It is more prestigious and pays better to be an assistant than it does to be 20's or NSW cup therefore the whole premise of your argument is flawed........... just saying.

No it's not, just saying. The three most successful coaches currently working in the game - Craig Bellamy coached Raiders Presidents Cup in 1995 before becoming an assistant. Wayne Bennett coached in the QLD Cup before becoming a co-coach at Canberra in 1987. Des Hasler coached our 1st Division (reserve grade) side in 2001.
Then again maybe we should just trust your gut feel on everything? as much as I don't like gus he knows nothing about footy so must have just appointed Barrett for a name. That Ivan cleary bloke knows nothing as well. And back to the premise of your argument tooves never had HC experience before he became ours he was an assistant.

Guess what? Geoff coached first division after Des moved up to head coach. Try and align your ego with your intelligence and lack of research. I am happy for you to disagree with me, but don't come at me with your patronizing and snide attitude when the person you are dishing it out to never attacked you in the first place.

you should add my "and that's the problem" quote if you really want to rationalize the dialogue. Are you Trent's wife? .

I didn't read past "We don't, but..."

I got the answer I wanted, thank you. Why would I want to rationalise anything? You just put that last sentence in there to be nasty, didn't you?

Peter Sharp had a great record as a coach and had coached his own team to premiership success at Newcastle before becoming an assistant at the eels yet he was a dud coach.

Every coach appointment comes with risk.
totally agree Marvin. Steve Price won a flegg GF with the Dragons and flopped when moved up the FG. It's a tough one, but I think you minimize the risk to a degree when the coach has proven results in the lower grades, or at least demonstrated a capacity to manage his own team week in- week out in the grind of a full season.

I didn't read past "We don't, but..."

I got the answer I wanted, thank you. Why would I want to rationalise anything? You just put that last sentence in there to be nasty, didn't you?
No, I just don't understand why you would specifically ask me for an answer, and then only read half of it. You can disagree with it, but the smugness can stay at the door.

No, I just don't understand why you would specifically ask me for an answer, and then only read half of it. You can disagree with it, but the smugness can stay at the door.

Well, how come you are allowed snide comments, but you attack others for snide comments? You are no better than me, so don't preach.

None of us are experts, that is why we big note ourselves on a football forum. This debate can only be solved at the conclusion of Trent Barrett's coaching career.

Well, how come you are allowed snide comments, but you attack others for snide comments? You are no better than me, so don't preach.

None of us are experts, that is why we big note ourselves on a football forum. This debate can only be solved at the conclusion of Trent Barrett's coaching career.

Speak for yourself @:D

I'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine; you asked me a question, I gave a detailed answer, and you manufactured it to suit your initial agenda served with a patronizing side dish. I don't attack anyone personally on this site, and am not a huge fan of getting into tit for tats with other posters, but when someone minces words, I think I am entitled to defend the integrity of what I was trying to put across.

Last edited:
I'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine; you asked me a question, I gave an detailed answer, and you manufactured it to suit your initial agenda served with a patronizing side dish. I don't attack anyone personally on this site, and am not a huge fan of getting into tit for tats with other posters, but when someone minces words, I think I am entitled to defend the integrity of what I was trying to put across.[/QUOTE

I found your Trent Barrett's wife quip to be a little snide, yes. I was greatly offended, hence my uppity reply. You also minced your words with another poster and questioned his/her integrity. I don't like these personal attacks, so I had to defend a fellow poster.

It seems you are repeatedly ignoring the fact that I have repeatedly drawn on his role at Penrith in my earlier posts;

No it's not, just saying. The three most successful coaches currently working in the game - Craig Bellamy coached Raiders Presidents Cup in 1995 before becoming an assistant. Wayne Bennett coached in the QLD Cup before becoming a co-coach at Canberra in 1987. Des Hasler coached our 1st Division (reserve grade) side in 2001.

Guess what? Geoff coached first division after Des moved up to head coach. Try and align your ego with your intelligence and lack of research. I am happy for you to disagree with me, but don't come at me with your patronizing and snide attitude when the person you are dishing it out to never attacked you in the first place.
Ouch!

You also minced your words with another poster and questioned his/her integrity. I don't like these personal attacks, so I had to defend a fellow poster.

If you are going to make accusations, provide the evidence.

The Barrett comment shouldn't deeply offend you, I am a complete stranger. I genuinely apologize if it did offend you though, I am not a nasty person.

I guess that sometime back, all of the current coaches were "assistant coaches" or whatever...

WE have a coach that IMHO, has made a pretty good fist of the job.
in 2012, we got done by the storm 40-12. Just 4 years prior, didn't we do them by 40-0? I have a cap that says so! Did everyone call for bellyache's head then?
IN 2013, we got done by the rooters. Wiiliams single-handedly lost it for us.( Maloney's dirty play didn't neccessarily help us - either)
In 2014, we ran out of forwards - specifically hookers!
Fast forward to the present. (end of round 8)
Almighty Brad arthur is one win ahead of Toovey (have you ever noticed just how sour BA is?)
Robinson is two wins ahead of Toovey.
Maguire is two wins ahead of Toovey.
You could say that none of 'em are doin real well right now. Only Sea eagles "supporters" are calling for his head.

Some have said that the players don't like him... Which ones? Forget Foran - he's been drinking too much of his own bath water!

And the "experts" on this forum want to see him replaced by someone without runs on the board?

gimme a break!
(while you are at it - give Toovey a break as well! - he needs one)

Last edited:
I guess that sometime back, all of the current coaches were "assistant coaches" or whatever...

WE have a coach that IMHO, has made a pretty good fist of the job.
in 2012, we got done by the storm 40-12. Just 4 years prior, didn't we do them by 40-0? I have a cap that says so! Did everyone call for bellyache's head then?
IN 2013, we got done by the rooters. Wiiliams single-handedly lost it for us.( Maloney's dirty play didn't neccessarily help us - either)
In 2014, we ran out of forwards - specifically hookers!
Fast forward to the present. (end of round 8)
Almighty Brad arthur is one win ahead of Toovey (have you ever noticed just how sour BA is?)
Robinson is two wins ahead of Toovey.
Maguire is two wins ahead of Toovey.
You could say that none of 'em are doin real well right now. Only Sea eagles "supporters" are calling for his head.

Some have said that the players don't like him... Which ones? Forget Foran - he's been drinking too much of his own bath water!

And the "experts" on this forum want to see him replaced by someone without runs on the board?

gimme a break!
(while you are at it - give Toovey a break as well! - he needs one)
I agree, Tooves deserves a break, but it's not our fans calling for his head, it's the media and possibly our administration.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/penrith-panthers/phil-gould-backs-trent-barrett-for-nrl-head-coach-spot-20150430-1mwz77.html
Phil Gould backs Trent Barrett for NRL head coach spot
Date
April 30, 2015 - 11:51PM
Michael Carayannis
Rugby League Writer

Phil Gould has declared Country mentor Trent Barrett capable of becoming an NRL coach immediately, after Barrett confirmed he was open to pursuing a head coaching role.

Barrett headlines a list of coaches waiting in the wings to pounce on a head coaching vacancy.

He has already been linked to a possible switch to Manly should performances continue to sour under Geoff Toovey. Having missed out on the Cowboys and NSW head coaching roles in recent years, Barrett is prepared to put his hand up for the right job. In the meantime, he continues as an assistant to Ivan Cleary at Penrith and will coach Country on Sunday.

"It's an awkward question but I feel I am [ready]," Barrett said. "I am in a good spot with Penrith. I'm happy doing what I'm doing.

"You need to be patient. There will be good jobs coming up, which I guess one may be the right one and the other the wrong one, but when they do come I have to be smart enough to know which is the right one and when to go and when to sit one out.

"You only get one crack at it. It could be in 10 years' time. That's the position we are in as assistant coaches. There are 16 jobs and realistically there's probably 10 to 14 of them who are long-term coaches."

Barrett has formed a close friendship with Gould. Long before Gould brought him into the Panthers coaching set up, Barrett played under Gould for NSW. Gould had little doubt about Barrett's coaching credentials.

"Trent Barrett was obviously a very talented footballer, but more importantly he was also a great student of the game," Gould said. "It comes as no surprise to me that he has made the difficult transition from playing to coaching look very easy.

"He has a great work ethic and he is a wonderful communicator. I really like his demeanour and presentation. Because he is a recently retired representative-class player, he has respect from, and relates to, all players from ages 15 to 35. They all respond to him. Trent could easily take on an NRL head coach position tomorrow and do an outstanding job."

Barrett has not always courted a head coaching position. When he retired at the end of 2010 he pursued interests outside the game, but none fulfilled him like playing.

"It was always in the back of my mind [being a head coach], but there is probably eight out of 10 people trying to talk you out of it," Barrett said.

"I got some advice when I finished to have a bit of a break from full-time footy stuff. I tried my hand at a few things and did some media stuff, but it didn't fulfil me."

Barrett has watched a host of former teammates progress to NRL coaching. He played alongside Paul McGregor at St George Illawarra, was a former teammate of Andrew McFadden's in the Australian Schoolboys and went to the same school as Trent Robinson.

It is most likely Barrett and his former St George Illawarra teammate/coach Nathan Brown are next in line to secure an NRL spot.

"I haven't been approached [by Manly]," Barrett said. "You just have a smile because there's nothing you can do [when you're linked to jobs]. You don't want to be known as someone who is after everyone's job."

Barrett will use Sunday's game against City as an NRL audition.

"The players are the ones you need to leave a good impression on," Barrett said. "They will be the ones who are asked down the track, whether that's now or 12 months or two years."

Hi Snake, looks like you and I are on the same page (plus many others here).
Slight disagreement however - there appear to be lots of fans here who want him out.
The media? - where do they get their goss? - Here!
The MWSE management? How does anybody know what they are thinking? Even they dont know what they are thinking...

BTW, I dont think that the management are that unprofessional as to leak stuff like that.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/penrith-panthers/phil-gould-backs-trent-barrett-for-nrl-head-coach-spot-20150430-1mwz77.html
Phil Gould backs Trent Barrett for NRL head coach spot
Date
April 30, 2015 - 11:51PM
Michael Carayannis
Rugby League Writer

Phil Gould has declared Country mentor Trent Barrett capable of becoming an NRL coach immediately, after Barrett confirmed he was open to pursuing a head coaching role.

Barrett headlines a list of coaches waiting in the wings to pounce on a head coaching vacancy.

He has already been linked to a possible switch to Manly should performances continue to sour under Geoff Toovey. Having missed out on the Cowboys and NSW head coaching roles in recent years, Barrett is prepared to put his hand up for the right job. In the meantime, he continues as an assistant to Ivan Cleary at Penrith and will coach Country on Sunday.

"It's an awkward question but I feel I am [ready]," Barrett said. "I am in a good spot with Penrith. I'm happy doing what I'm doing.

"You need to be patient. There will be good jobs coming up, which I guess one may be the right one and the other the wrong one, but when they do come I have to be smart enough to know which is the right one and when to go and when to sit one out.

"You only get one crack at it. It could be in 10 years' time. That's the position we are in as assistant coaches. There are 16 jobs and realistically there's probably 10 to 14 of them who are long-term coaches."

Barrett has formed a close friendship with Gould. Long before Gould brought him into the Panthers coaching set up, Barrett played under Gould for NSW. Gould had little doubt about Barrett's coaching credentials.

"Trent Barrett was obviously a very talented footballer, but more importantly he was also a great student of the game," Gould said. "It comes as no surprise to me that he has made the difficult transition from playing to coaching look very easy.

"He has a great work ethic and he is a wonderful communicator. I really like his demeanour and presentation. Because he is a recently retired representative-class player, he has respect from, and relates to, all players from ages 15 to 35. They all respond to him. Trent could easily take on an NRL head coach position tomorrow and do an outstanding job."

Barrett has not always courted a head coaching position. When he retired at the end of 2010 he pursued interests outside the game, but none fulfilled him like playing.

"It was always in the back of my mind [being a head coach], but there is probably eight out of 10 people trying to talk you out of it," Barrett said.

"I got some advice when I finished to have a bit of a break from full-time footy stuff. I tried my hand at a few things and did some media stuff, but it didn't fulfil me."

Barrett has watched a host of former teammates progress to NRL coaching. He played alongside Paul McGregor at St George Illawarra, was a former teammate of Andrew McFadden's in the Australian Schoolboys and went to the same school as Trent Robinson.

It is most likely Barrett and his former St George Illawarra teammate/coach Nathan Brown are next in line to secure an NRL spot.

"I haven't been approached [by Manly]," Barrett said. "You just have a smile because there's nothing you can do [when you're linked to jobs]. You don't want to be known as someone who is after everyone's job."

Barrett will use Sunday's game against City as an NRL audition.

"The players are the ones you need to leave a good impression on," Barrett said. "They will be the ones who are asked down the track, whether that's now or 12 months or two years."

Call me old fashioned... but I like our coach to come from within!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6