[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The FULL roster 17 is pretty good and I'd back it to make the 8. Unfortunately we'll see half the marque guys sitting on the benches again.
Quite a few teams could say the same Mick. Fully fit with Manase we are a very good team imo. These days it’s not really about the best 17 tho. It’s about having a bit of depth and being mentally tough enough to not wilt under a bit of adversity.

To be fair, EoL, this thread started last season, but I do take your point. Let's give Des and the team a chance before we start sharpening the nails for the crucifixions. But I get the concern. Last season was a **** sandwich, and if this season starts looking like a continuation of that, we'll all start looking for a change to the menu.

the greater portion of this thread is from last year when everything went to sh1t EoL...
good and fair points. I just think less knives more support perhaps.

So i ask you these 2 questions...

Had Des come back and after the final TBaz year taken us to say 10th or 11th would that have been a success? Are we judging last years **** show more harshly because we were 6th the year before? Its not sugar coating it to say we were 70% on to win that south Sydney game before the ref literally gave it to the bunnies....

Secondly who replaces him? There is not a top coach that would co me to us is there? even Madge turned us down and I don't rate him that highly. at the moment there are only 4 proven winners in the coaching ranks. Bennet, Bellemy, Robinson and Des. now perhaps its fair to say both Des and Cranky pants are in a down swing but they do have the runs on the board to give them time.

IF toms hammies were better behaving and stabby cat had have just stayed home that night this side would be a hugely different proposition. And this thread wouldn't even be a thing.

good and fair points. I just think less knives more support perhaps.

So i ask you these 2 questions...

Had Des come back and after the final TBaz year taken us to say 10th or 11th would that have been a success? Are we judging last years **** show more harshly because we were 6th the year before? Its not sugar coating it to say we were 70% on to win that south Sydney game before the ref literally gave it to the bunnies....

Secondly who replaces him? There is not a top coach that would co me to us is there? even Madge turned us down and I don't rate him that highly. at the moment there are only 4 proven winners in the coaching ranks. Bennet, Bellemy, Robinson and Des. now perhaps its fair to say both Des and Cranky pants are in a down swing but they do have the runs on the board to give them time.

IF toms hammies were better behaving and stabby cat had have just stayed home that night this side would be a hugely different proposition. And this thread wouldn't even be a thing.
Yeah but last year was not what we were sold EoL... sure injuries suck but teams like the titans and dragqueens had injuries last year too but they showed ticker still... last year was damn embarrassing and Des refused to hold players to account... each week we trotted out the same team and served up the same garbage...
Its a new year and there's new hope.... and hopefully we'll see those exceptional levels of fitness and that Manly pride that Des was supposed to bring with him...

I agree that the main concern was the lack of ticker. I though I’d never see that from a Manly side coached by Des. But it was there for all to see last year. I’m hoping for change but saw nothing in the trial to suggest much has changed. Fingers crossed. If they repeat last year then Des may get his 2nd contract payout.

Brace for 0/2

I was even before last nights game.

We might do better against the top sides later in the year when the side has gelled a bit but I expect it’ll be tough going in the first month or so.
0/2 for sure. I just want to see 'em having a decent crack and not serving up plates and plates of that awful shxt we saw dished up last year. I fear we are going to get more of the same.

Yeah but last year was not what we were sold EoL... sure injuries suck but teams like the titans and dragqueens had injuries last year too but they showed ticker still... last year was damn embarrassing and Des refused to hold players to account... each week we trotted out the same team and served up the same garbage...
Its a new year and there's new hope.... and hopefully we'll see those exceptional levels of fitness and that Manly pride that Des was supposed to bring with him...

I agree that the main concern was the lack of ticker. I though I’d never see that from a Manly side coached by Des. But it was there for all to see last year. I’m hoping for change but saw nothing in the trial to suggest much has changed. Fingers crossed. If they repeat last year then Des may get his 2nd contract payout.
Perhaps but again who replaces him? That's the million dollar question....

Perhaps but again who replaces him? That's the million dollar question....
(Puts helmet on)... Trent Barrett?

Its a good question EoL...

There are some bloody good young coaches we could chase like Craig Fitzgibbon, Shane Flanagan, Kristian Woolfe but if the TB years showed us anything its that outsiders are not welcome at Manly...

Seibold has history at our club and whilst I dont reckon hed be ready to return to a head coaching gig he may offer a lot as an assistant (he did coach a premiership b4 he got messed up with the bronco brats).

Maybe we look at going with an inexperienced leader with new ideas like a Jamie Lyon who has country coaching experience or bring Matt Ballin across from Blacktown...

Another season like last year and its not like we will have much to lose by taking risks because the last 9 or 10 rounds of 2020 was woeful...

Last edited:
Asking this because I am genuinely confused. Do you think our back-pedalling, give-the-opposition-as-many-metres-as-they-want defence is coached? It's so counter to common sense and everything you're taught about playing the game as a kid, and yet every one of our players does it. Is there a chance they're playing to the coach's instructions? Or are they all just terrible footy players?

Asking this because I am genuinely confused. Do you think our back-pedalling, give-the-opposition-as-many-metres-as-they-want defence is coached? It's so counter to common sense and everything you're taught about playing the game as a kid, and yet every one of our players does it. Is there a chance they're playing to the coach's instructions? Or are they all just terrible footy players?
If you are outnumbered you play negative (backpedal) until cover arrives. If not they catch and pass for a certain try

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8