Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sea Eagles left waiting
Manly’s appeal over NRL salary cap penalties may not be the end

THE 2018 season is over in a week and an investigation into alleged salary cap breaches at Manly, which started in July 2017, still hangs in the balance.

On March 26 the NRL slammed the Sea Eagles and fined the club $750,000 for breaches of the salary cap over the previous five years.

The NRL claimed Manly offered players undisclosed benefits outside the salary cap via undisclosed third party agreements. Manly denied the allegations and almost immediately appealed.

The appeal decision, before former High Court Justice Ian Callinan QC, has yet to be handed down.

Good people have had their reputations and characters torn apart in this long, drawn-out affair.

Former Manly CEO Joe Kelly and former CFO Neil Bare remain banned from the game until January 1.

FULTON FACTS

THE character of Manly’s greatest player and NRL Immortal Bob Fulton has been put under the microscope, with the NRL openly declaring he was unavailable to be interviewed during the evidence-gathering process.

Fulton has provided evidence that he was available but only in person and not by email or phone hook-up.

“I offered my services in a face-to-face interview,” Fulton has said previously.

“I’ve got a number of text messages indicating that. I’ve got evidence to say that I put myself up for interview. I’ve given them my phone. I’ve done everything I possibly could to assist the process.”

Manly opened up its books, email server and staff mobiles to the NRL integrity unit during the investigation and co-operated fully.

But how long until the club is given free air to move ahead with its rebuild?

My belief is even when the appeal decision is given the situation will not be over.

SLICK SIGNING

I LIKED the look of Manly’s new centre signing Reuben Garrick in St George Illawarra’s 28-26 loss to the Bulldogs in the Intrust Cup grand final qualifier at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Garrick, 21, looked slick in scoring two tries and having a hand in two others.

The tall centre si from Gerringong on the South Coast, home town of former Parramatta and Test star Mick Cronin and the incredible Simms footballing family.

The young centre has represented NSW at under-17, under-18 and under-20 level.

GRAND REUNION

IT WAS 40 years this week since Manly won the 1978 premiership with a 16-0 grand final replay win over the Sharks at the SCG — the team’s sixth finals win in 24 days.

It gave Manly and the peninsula its fourth premiership in six years.

The team, coach Frank Stanton and secretary Ken Arthurson, will have dinner at Manly Leagues Club next Friday night. A few tickets are available from Manly Leagues Club (9939 6722).

http://newslocal.smedia.com.au/manl...cle.aspx?doc=NLTMLD/2018/09/22&entity=ar05402

Sea Eagles left waiting
Manly’s appeal over NRL salary cap penalties may not be the end

THE 2018 season is over in a week and an investigation into alleged salary cap breaches at Manly, which started in July 2017, still hangs in the balance.

On March 26 the NRL slammed the Sea Eagles and fined the club $750,000 for breaches of the salary cap over the previous five years.

The NRL claimed Manly offered players undisclosed benefits outside the salary cap via undisclosed third party agreements. Manly denied the allegations and almost immediately appealed.

The appeal decision, before former High Court Justice Ian Callinan QC, has yet to be handed down.

Good people have had their reputations and characters torn apart in this long, drawn-out affair.

Former Manly CEO Joe Kelly and former CFO Neil Bare remain banned from the game until January 1.

FULTON FACTS

THE character of Manly’s greatest player and NRL Immortal Bob Fulton has been put under the microscope, with the NRL openly declaring he was unavailable to be interviewed during the evidence-gathering process.

Fulton has provided evidence that he was available but only in person and not by email or phone hook-up.

“I offered my services in a face-to-face interview,” Fulton has said previously.

“I’ve got a number of text messages indicating that. I’ve got evidence to say that I put myself up for interview. I’ve given them my phone. I’ve done everything I possibly could to assist the process.”

Manly opened up its books, email server and staff mobiles to the NRL integrity unit during the investigation and co-operated fully.

But how long until the club is given free air to move ahead with its rebuild?

My belief is even when the appeal decision is given the situation will not be over.

SLICK SIGNING

I LIKED the look of Manly’s new centre signing Reuben Garrick in St George Illawarra’s 28-26 loss to the Bulldogs in the Intrust Cup grand final qualifier at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Garrick, 21, looked slick in scoring two tries and having a hand in two others.

The tall centre si from Gerringong on the South Coast, home town of former Parramatta and Test star Mick Cronin and the incredible Simms footballing family.

The young centre has represented NSW at under-17, under-18 and under-20 level.

GRAND REUNION

IT WAS 40 years this week since Manly won the 1978 premiership with a 16-0 grand final replay win over the Sharks at the SCG — the team’s sixth finals win in 24 days.

It gave Manly and the peninsula its fourth premiership in six years.

The team, coach Frank Stanton and secretary Ken Arthurson, will have dinner at Manly Leagues Club next Friday night. A few tickets are available from Manly Leagues Club (9939 6722).

http://newslocal.smedia.com.au/manly-daily/TranslateArticle.aspx?doc=NLTMLD/2018/09/22&entity=ar05402
Who is this Reuben Garrick ?
Never heard of him . I found this article and this quote from Garrick stands out for me .
"I need to try and increase my involvement and make my one-on-one tackles stronger."
Reuben Garrick
How can this player solve our back line defensive issues ? Another question is does he have speed ?
https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/05/23/consistency-defence-garricks-focus/

So 18 months later and the Toddy Greenslime shafting of our beloved Sea Eagles rolls on unabated.

Let’s hope at the big announcement night ( almost #nextweek) we might get a resolution BUT I wouldn’t be holding your breath.

Look I'm not as negative about Peters as many on this site. I'm not suggesting he's a saint and certainly his association with the Penns and their poor management style to date, has not reflected well on him. But he obviously loves Manly as much as the rest of us and though coming from another angle, deep down I think he has the best interests of the club at heart. Therefore I take note of what he has to say, and quite frankly I feel that the gloves are off and he's now saying things that we have all being saying, but he's preferred to maintain the company line in support of his bosses.

I don't think the latest articles that looked like sour grapes recently, were any more than the shackles being off and he was saying what he thought, now that Barrett has been supposedly shown the door. He did let us known about the Tom Wright and Jade Anderson fiasco. Still haven't heard about Anderson's fate.

His latest article, if read closely, tells us something about what is going on the behind the scenes. From what he seems to be saying, the TPA decision may be a little while yet, but chances are it will reflect well on Manly. But his comment that this wont be the last of it, suggests to me that Greenberg knows he may be in trouble over this and is digging deeper, to find more dirt. Greenberg sounds a real sleaze.

Having fought administrations at the Industrial Court over allegations (not against me but who I was supporting) they don't like to have mud thrown at them and can imply that there is more dirt to come but not yet available. The court then gives the Department more time, in that instance it ended up 18 months, purely on a claim that there is something. As it was, there was nothing, but the impact it had on the victims was tragic, even though they received compensation. Administrations play it dirty, and in the end lose little but a slap on the wrist. But maintaining the harassment can be diabolical for the target.

TODAY may be the DAY!

In the telecrap today it said that a ruling expected to give little relief from the $750k penalty maybe handed down as early as TODAY!

@Mark from Brisbane .... can it possibly be #nextweek already ??

I don’t like the words “ little relief “, I’d count that as a loss ( considering what it would have cost to defend).

Manly set for salary cap despair

Manly could hear the result of their appeal against salary cap sanctions as early as today and the news is unlikely to be good.

It would be a major surprise if appeals tribunal chief Ian Callinan QC did anything other than uphold the findings of the NRL integrity unit, which resulted in the Sea Eagles being slapped with a big fine as well as $660,000 worth of salary cap sanctions over this season and next.

Against that backdrop, captain Daly Cherry-Evans received some good news yesterday when he was announced as captain of the Prime Minister’s XIII team to play Papua New Guinea next week.

Cherry-Evans is closing in on a return to the Australian side, having played the last of his 11 games in the green and gold four years ago. He never gave up hope of pulling on an Australian jersey again, although at times it seemed a distance away.

He was given renewed hope this year when he won a recall to the Queensland set-up, promoted to the Maroons squad for the final game of a lost series.

His reward has been a place in the PM’s XIII alongside fellow national aspirants David Klemmer, Ben Hunt, Jordan McLean, Tyson Frizell, Jake Trbojevic, Aaron Woods and Reagan Campbell-Gillard.

A good performance would go some way towards claiming the green and gold No 7 jersey, particularly with James Maloney out of the running for the Tests against New Zealand and Tonga with a neck injury, and Ben Hunt named at hooker in the PM’s XIII

“The captaincy part was unexpected but it’s a massive privilege to earn my way back into the side, which has been a major focus in the past 12 months,” Cherry-Evans said.

“Looking around in the squad and seeing players who have been established Australian players in the squad gives me hope Mal is not just picking people to give them an opportunity to play in a one-off game.

“That gives me hope that if I play well I can follow them into the next phase. In a year that has had lowlights this would cap off a really crazy year.

“It’s certainly something I’ve never lost sight of. After having the opportunity to play rep footy again through Queensland, to try and make Australia was next on the agenda.”

Cherry-Evans admitted he harboured fears that his representative days for the national side may be over, particularly after he was forced to watch the opening two games of the Origin series as an outsider.

“Yeah, much as the same as I feared I would never get back in the Queensland side,” he said.

“Once I got back into the Queensland side I felt reassured rep football was not out of the equation any more.

“I love playing rep footy and the opportunity I had years ago. Getting that opportunity again is pretty cool.

“As soon as I got into the Origin arena (I started thinking about Test football).

“I know how much that influences Australian selection. If you can play well at that level it can hold you in good stead to play well again for further rep honours.”

On the domestic front, Cherry-Evans is as in the dark as anyone over the future of Manly. The club is yet to appoint a coach for next season and the sense is that Michael Maguire has sprung back into contention after it was initially thought current assistant John Cartwright would get the job.

“I have no clue,” Cherry-Evans said. “I won’t say I’m worried about it. But you have to wonder how many weeks have to pass before we know what’s going on.

“I hope whatever changes are made — if there are changes — they are done sooner rather than later so we can move on as a club.”

He remains in contact with current coach Trent Barrett, who enacted a 12-month notice period in his contract in July.

“I spoke to Trent this morning,” he said.

“His footy brain is second to none. It would be naive of me not to tap into his resources and knowledge of the game. As it stands right now he is still my coach.”

I'll post link it's behind paywall but easy enough to bypass.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/aa7ed323a0dcf556ee8ab448cee55889

Manly set for salary cap despair

Manly could hear the result of their appeal against salary cap sanctions as early as today and the news is unlikely to be good.

It would be a major surprise if appeals tribunal chief Ian Callinan QC did anything other than uphold the findings of the NRL integrity unit, which resulted in the Sea Eagles being slapped with a big fine as well as $660,000 worth of salary cap sanctions over this season and next.

Against that backdrop, captain Daly Cherry-Evans received some good news yesterday when he was announced as captain of the Prime Minister’s XIII team to play Papua New Guinea next week.

Cherry-Evans is closing in on a return to the Australian side, having played the last of his 11 games in the green and gold four years ago. He never gave up hope of pulling on an Australian jersey again, although at times it seemed a distance away.

He was given renewed hope this year when he won a recall to the Queensland set-up, promoted to the Maroons squad for the final game of a lost series.

His reward has been a place in the PM’s XIII alongside fellow national aspirants David Klemmer, Ben Hunt, Jordan McLean, Tyson Frizell, Jake Trbojevic, Aaron Woods and Reagan Campbell-Gillard.

A good performance would go some way towards claiming the green and gold No 7 jersey, particularly with James Maloney out of the running for the Tests against New Zealand and Tonga with a neck injury, and Ben Hunt named at hooker in the PM’s XIII

“The captaincy part was unexpected but it’s a massive privilege to earn my way back into the side, which has been a major focus in the past 12 months,” Cherry-Evans said.

“Looking around in the squad and seeing players who have been established Australian players in the squad gives me hope Mal is not just picking people to give them an opportunity to play in a one-off game.

“That gives me hope that if I play well I can follow them into the next phase. In a year that has had lowlights this would cap off a really crazy year.

“It’s certainly something I’ve never lost sight of. After having the opportunity to play rep footy again through Queensland, to try and make Australia was next on the agenda.”

Cherry-Evans admitted he harboured fears that his representative days for the national side may be over, particularly after he was forced to watch the opening two games of the Origin series as an outsider.

“Yeah, much as the same as I feared I would never get back in the Queensland side,” he said.

“Once I got back into the Queensland side I felt reassured rep football was not out of the equation any more.

“I love playing rep footy and the opportunity I had years ago. Getting that opportunity again is pretty cool.

“As soon as I got into the Origin arena (I started thinking about Test football).

“I know how much that influences Australian selection. If you can play well at that level it can hold you in good stead to play well again for further rep honours.”

On the domestic front, Cherry-Evans is as in the dark as anyone over the future of Manly. The club is yet to appoint a coach for next season and the sense is that Michael Maguire has sprung back into contention after it was initially thought current assistant John Cartwright would get the job.

“I have no clue,” Cherry-Evans said. “I won’t say I’m worried about it. But you have to wonder how many weeks have to pass before we know what’s going on.

“I hope whatever changes are made — if there are changes — they are done sooner rather than later so we can move on as a club.”

He remains in contact with current coach Trent Barrett, who enacted a 12-month notice period in his contract in July.

“I spoke to Trent this morning,” he said.

“His footy brain is second to none. It would be naive of me not to tap into his resources and knowledge of the game. As it stands right now he is still my coach.”

I'll post link it's behind paywall but easy enough to bypass.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/aa7ed323a0dcf556ee8ab448cee55889

And what would Penn have thrown at the defence of this ??

$100k

$200k

If true that’s been a total waste of money and time.

However , the DT may just be making it up!!

"It would be a major surprise if appeals tribunal chief Ian Callinan QC did anything other than uphold the findings of the NRL integrity unit, which resulted in the Sea Eagles being slapped with a big fine as well as $660,000 worth of salary cap sanctions over this season and next".

So if Callinan is merely going to uphold the findings of the NRL then why is it taking so long for a decision??? A few months ago there were reports that Manly was in for a favorable decision (Rothtool, Lurker & Mole reports) now they're set for despair? Really..........what a croc of $hi%. Like I said if it was so straightforward then a decision would have been made long ago. Peters says he doesn't think the drama will end after the decision is handed down......it can be that Fulton is waiting & ready to pounce on Greenberg once he sees the outcome or the Penns will go to court! I think a favorable outcome will give Fulton ammunition to bring a defamation case against Greenberg & the NRL.I hope he also takes down a few of the journos who bagged him also!! To top it off i'd like to see the Penns join Fulton in a full on attack!

"It would be a major surprise if appeals tribunal chief Ian Callinan QC did anything other than uphold the findings of the NRL integrity unit, which resulted in the Sea Eagles being slapped with a big fine as well as $660,000 worth of salary cap sanctions over this season and next".

So if Callinan is merely going to uphold the findings of the NRL then why is it taking so long for a decision??? A few months ago there were reports that Manly was in for a favorable decision (Rothtool, Lurker & Mole reports) now they're set for despair? Really..........what a croc of $hi%. Like I said if it was so straightforward then a decision would have been made long ago. Peters says he doesn't think the drama will end after the decision is handed down......it can be that Fulton is waiting & ready to pounce on Greenberg once he sees the outcome or the Penns will go to court! I think a favorable outcome will give Fulton ammunition to bring a defamation case against Greenberg & the NRL.I hope he also takes down a few of the journos who bagged him also!! To top it off i'd like to see the Penns join Fulton in a full on attack!

Go the full Monty!!

Love it, bring that prick down big time.

I think Bozo has ammunition already by not being formally interviewed, hence NRL just assumed Bozo did something and not giving someone the right of reply is a very Toddidiotic, arrogant move. Bozo isn't stupid he has the ammunition and the QC will confirm that Fulton was judged and punished with out proper procedure. Gun will be loaded after that. Remember Todd did say that Bob would not be welcome back in the game but who was invited by the NRL & present at the Immortals/HoF night?

And what would Penn have thrown at the defence of this ??

$100k

$200k

If true that’s been a total waste of money and time.

However , the DT may just be making it up!!
Can’t have it both ways mark. We all would have creamed him if he didn’t defend the club.

I don’t understand how we’re treated so horribly when we didn’t pay a cent. Cronulla on the other hand are a minor breach despite them actually paying the player directly. WTF!

"It would be a major surprise if appeals tribunal chief Ian Callinan QC did anything other than uphold the findings of the NRL integrity unit"
So the jurno doesn't know then!!!!!!! Yep brilliant.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8