Scared for my mate Steve Matai's life, says Anthony Watmough - Gallop's Response

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MANLY'S champion NRL forward Anthony Watmough helped to save the life of teammate Steve Matai by lying over his unconscious body as they were kicked and punched by a group of thugs.

After a brutal bashing on the Northern Beaches, both Sea Eagles stars were taken by ambulance to Mona Vale Hospital for treatment.

Police last night indicated it was an unprovoked assault outside Matai's Beacon Hill home at 1.30am on Sunday involving at least three Polynesian men, but possibly as many as eight.

Watmough, who was waiting for a taxi, was hailed a hero yesterday for throwing his body over his stricken teammate as he was lying unconscious and being kicked and stomped by the gang.

"It was very scary and I was worried for Skivvy's (Matai's) life because he wasn't moving," Watmough said.

"I have no idea why it happened or who they were.

"The area is on a main road not in some back alley. I'm just grateful we are both OK.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

* Sydney attack: Thugs bash top Manly players

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I want to make it clear we didn't retaliate or provoke the attack and we are happy to co-operate with police to aid them in their investigation."

The two players went to Matai's house after a night out on the Northern Beaches. Watmough left to get his taxi when he was approached by the group. Matai went to his aid and was "king hit" from behind.

Police said three men were involved in the attack but the players and a witness believe it was a gang of up to eight.

"I saw my attacker coming but not the punch," Matai said, "After that I can't remember a thing. I came good in hospital.

"I'm grateful Choc did what he did. It was a cowardly attack. One would think you are safe in front of your home but unfortunately that wasn't the case. I was out for a long time and I'm feeling like I've been run over by a bus."

The players reported the attack to club officials when they were released from hospital. They were too sick to train yesterday.

Although both players have had their share of off-field dramas over the years, Manly CEO Graham Lowe was convinced they did nothing wrong on this occasion. "The Manly club has conducted a thorough investigation into the incident and co-operated fully with the police," he said.

"The police have kept us informed throughout and assured us they are investigating an unprovoked attack.

"I'm proud of the way they refused to inflame the situation. They had enjoyed a quiet night out in each others company and were attacked within a few metres of one of their homes."

NRL boss David Gallop was told of the attack in a phone call from Lowe on Sunday afternoon.

"It's a concern if it's right what police are saying that it was an unprovoked attack and two players have suffered serious injuries," Gallop said.

Re: Scared for my mate Steve Matai's life, says Anthony Watmough - Gallop's Resp

This is a totally political and measured response by Gallop. The police have stated themselves it was an unprovoked attack.. can't he come out in total support of these players without giving himself an 'out.'

Glad they're both ok.  

Not the first time there has been a random bashing of people on the northern beaches by a group of polynesians recently. 

tookey link said:
Not the first time there has been a random bashing of people on the northern beaches by a group of polynesians recently. 

Thats why we need Tony Abbit as our next prime minister he would either deport this lot or stop them at the boarders and send them back to NZ/Tonga

Gallop has decided to run for this years Captain Obvious award.

"its a concern"................really.

FMD he is as weak as piss this bloke. And they want him still involved in the new Commission ? he shouldnt be anywhere near it.

Good on Choc for protecting Matai the way he did. And yet if he had thrown a punch he would have been the villian!!!

I don't agree that the club has told them not to retaliate.  if they are seriously being punched and kicked by a group of thugs they have a right to protect themselves and start throwing a few back. 

A few of the old manly forwards would be cringing reading the paper this morning.  guys like Rob Gibbs, randall, Carroll, Gillespie wouldn't have been so retstrained no matter what he club said. 

That's the sad place we're in Tookey. If that's the edict then it's as much for the players good as it is for the club. Cop a hiding and short term pain from some thugs or cop a hiding and long term pain from the press. No win situation sometimes.

The trouble is that if it's publicised that they're not allowed to fight back it only encourages more scumbags to do the same thing as well as these guys to have another crack.

If they're in a wheelchair & eating out of a straw for the rest of their lives it makes the place safer for everyone and the boys should get a medal for doing the cops job for them.

Duff link said:
The trouble is that if it's publicised that they're not allowed to fight back it only encourages more scumbags to do the same thing as well as these guys to have another crack.

If they're in a wheelchair & eating out of a straw for the rest of their lives it makes the place safer for everyone and the boys should get a medal for doing the cops job for them.

sad thing is that the Cops wouldn't be allowed to do that either, for fear of being seen as racist (a bit of pepperspray/taser shot not withstanding).

not like the good ol' days when the cops could take them down to the wharf and beat the %^&* out them ...  :-\

tookey link said:
I don't agree that the club has told them not to retaliate.  if they are seriously being punched and kicked by a group of thugs they have a right to protect themselves and start throwing a few back. 

A few of the old manly forwards would be cringing reading the paper this morning.  guys like Rob Gibbs, randall, Carroll, Gillespie wouldn't have been so retstrained no matter what he club said. 
  It shows you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  It's getting to a point that a player will be killed in these kind of scenarios, and the media will accept no blame for it, though it is their hysterical coverage of rugby league that will have forced players into their shells and emboldened drunken idiots to attack them.

I wouldn't be surprised Mattai tracks down the scum and arranges for a retaliation bashing of his own from his Maori cousins.  

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Matai was a gangbanger back in South Central Auckland or something. Probably just a media beat up, but he might have some bro's he could call on for a drive by fruiting or something.

Chip & Chase link said:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Matai was a gangbanger back in South Central Auckland or something. Probably just a media beat up, but he might have some bro's he could call on for a drive by fruiting or something.

I'll think you'll find it was Matthew Johns that was into gang banging in NZ, but the drive by fruiting sounds fun!

Spuds Bodyguard link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=182293.msg249451#msg249451 date=1263899604]

I'll think you'll find it was Matthew Johns that was into gang banging in NZ, but the drive by fruiting sounds fun!
[/quote]

Lol! Didn't know that, but it makes sense since he looks pretty krim when he is wearing his hoody on the sidelines.

edit - on reflection they are tough RL players and probably didn't deserve my insinution about their physical injuries.

ftl - here is  a quote by another yet another conspiracy theorist,

RMS of Syd Posted at 12:38 PM Today

Sounds very fishy to me. No charges? Worried about being witnesses before a court? Why? If you've done nothing wrong, why? And if true, why let these criminals just get away with it. Very fishy, sorry not quite that gullible.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2