Scott Penn - Proving a lot of people wrong

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep you are so right....if Scott Penn appointed John Hopoate as our SG Ball coach then he has proved me wrong. I didnt think he was as bigger dope as that.

I am still not pleased with the feeble excuses they used to dismiss Toovey and the unfairness of blaming him for the demise of the club. League is a tough sport and clubs are now forced to make massive calls, for the Tigpies to let Taupau go illustrates that.
Yes it wasn't fair or reasonable. But I'm more concerned with the stupidity of publicly blaming Toovs than the inequity.

There was no need for it. And it was just plain dumb. Negativity breeds negativity.

@Ralphie and @Beaver boy can u please explain what part of that is a dummy spit....or are u guys happy that John Hopoate is part of this club and its coaching of our juniors....

In my opinion privately owned clubs as ours is , is the way forward.It provides a stable environment for our club and supporter base to grow.On the financial side of things in my opinion its also the way to build a strong and successful club as all clubs are buisnesses.However the owners need to have the best interest of the supporters and players at heart, after all a good club is a transparent club and without the supporters there iisnt a club, definitely a constant challenge.

You happy @Ralphie that Hopoate has been bought into the club to coach our juniors????
No I'm not happy, but I am not droning on over and over again like a bad song stuck in my head.

No doubt you and others will bleat and whinge for months to come about how dreadful it all is and as soon as the tough decisions being made bear fruit, you'll be first on the bandwagon.

There is a great deal about what has happened that I am not happy about. Mistakes have been made, no doubt about it. Many things could have been handled better than they were, no doubt about it, but it's way past time to move on and stop the childish swipes at the club.

No good business decision is underpinned by revenge. It erodes culture and evokes elements of distrust from within. It also promotes short term (self interested) decision making akin to our current crop of political leaders. I sincerely hope we have a long term plan!

@Ralphie , I'm not sure we are droning on and on mate but ZtH's article in the MD didn't help the issue much.

If we are supposed to forgive and forget ( some will do that I never will) then stop with the propaganda.

I'm doing my best to move on, hey I've even renewed my membership last week and that's a BIG step for me, but a lot of hurt has been unleashed in this place in the last 12 months and if you think we are all just going to move on, forgive whatever has transpired and never mention it again then I think that's naive.

I'm excited about the 2016 season, love the new player signings and if we could get Bird it would be the icing on the cake, so it's not all bad news but please allow people to vent as this is at the very heart of why Silvertails is here.

Last edited:
@ Frogz . Yes he's been in strife over and over again, and like everything else the Penn's have done they'll be judged on their results. If Hoppa can carry out the task then he's entitled to some form of redemption.

We don't have a culture?????? I suspect Snake, Killer, Matai et al would disagree with you there. Beaver will be involved, Bozo is there and a culture like ours doesn't depart with one coach and a handful of players like Watmough.

If your logic was right we would have been stuffed when the likes of Alan Thompson was unceremoniously dumped.

Mate seriously open your eyes! The joint has been forensically cleaned with bleach! They have sacked everyone that worked at the club for the past 13 successful years. Other than those few players you mentioned there is not a single staffer left, even Donny got the arse! We are starting from point zero and yeah maybe a little of that culture has survived with those few players, but I got news for you mate if things don't run smoothly it can all go tits up really quickly for Barrett, especially if those players you mentioned don't buy into his idea of culture. You can have your Penn coloured glasses pal, You enjoy wandering around the cabin whilst the fasten seat belt lights are on, but I will be quite happy sitting in my seat with my belt firmly fastened hoping I wont need to brace for impact.

Players and Coaching Staff can set the highest goals and believe in them. I will cheer them on and encourage them savagely. But I will manage my expectations and be pleasantly surprised when they exceed them and not be devastated if they don't this year.

Last edited:
Mate seriously open your eyes! The joint has been forensically cleaned with bleach! They have sacked everyone that worked at the club for the past 13 successful years. Other than those few players you mentioned there is not a single staffer left, even Donny got the arse! We are starting from point zero and yeah maybe a little of that culture has survived with those few players, but I got news for you mate if things don't run smoothly it can all go tits up really quickly for Barrett, especially if those players you mentioned don't buy into his idea of culture. You can have your Penn coloured glasses pal, You enjoy wandering around the cabin whilst the fasten seat belt lights are on, but I will be quite happy sitting in my seat with my belt firmly fastened hoping I wont need to brace for impact.

Players and Coaching Staff can set the highest goals and believe in them. I will cheer them on and encourage them savagely. But I will manage my expectations and be pleasantly surprised when they exceed them and not be devastated if they don't this year.
What's really great about life is that people have different perspectives and different opinions. It just happens that you and I have diametrically opposed views, which is what these Forums are all about.
We were always going to have this era come to an end at some point and we were always going to face a generational change as the stars of 2008, 2011 & 2013 reach the end of their careers. James Hasson is emblematic of how far we had slipped into mediocrity and how desperately we needed a cleanout. Who knows whether they needed to clean out as much as they have, but the fact is they have done it with the advice of our very own immortal who has been the fabric of the Manly culture since our very first premiership.
I have chosen to support the club and get behind them in the most positive way I can and you have chosen differently. I respect that, it's your right and that of all Manly fans.

I for one hope we sign Dylan Walker because he is the best up and coming centre in the game and will make a wonderful replacement for Killer when he hangs up the boots either this year or next.

Bring on 2016.

@ Frogz . Yes he's been in strife over and over again, and like everything else the Penn's have done they'll be judged on their results. If Hoppa can carry out the task then he's entitled to some form of redemption.
Agree to disagree on this one then.
I really don't care if he can coach. He should not be anywhere near our club. Surely a club like Manly can attract a better type of person than this grub. IMO.

Just as an fyi, there are actually three of the team staffers that have survived. One is on the training staff, one is the gear steward and I can't recall what the other does. This is from someone I know who is close mates with the trainer. It's not much in the overall scheme of things but for the sake of accuracy I thought I'd mention it. They obviously never looked sideways at Z.

Its easy to look at the past 12 months and be critical. what seems to be forgotten is the state of play. we were a hugely devisive club and many many clashes and issues had become personal. It appeared that way to often Manlys needs were not necessarily at the fore front, rather than personal agendas. Board memebers that were not allowed in the club, AVO' s. It was a shambles and nothing to be proud of. I was even offered drink vouchers to go to another club after the game rather than manly leagues a few years back. wtf

While most of the news stemmed from the board its difficult from the outside to know how far the divide cut. Its pretty hard not to choose sides , just to secure the resources you may need to run your business

The divide was clear, what struck me as weird was how they seemed to not agree with anything. The club was full of baggage and to be honest while i hated seeing tooves and donny in particular shown the door as a fan i can see why a brand new approach needed to be taken.

In not quite 12 months Manly have made a number of changes and while a ball hasnt been kicked there is a feeling of excitement regarding the 2016 season.

The penns own the club, they had been at loggerheads for years. They want to do it there way and well fair enough. They will be judged on there results , as private owners, probably more so that those involved more directly simply because of the history.

The team was ageing and needed a clean out, we didnt look fit enough, we are not the most finacial club. Should they chase better results.......always

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6