Sea Eagles coach not happy after Richie Fa'aoso shoulder charge downgraded by: Andrew Prentice From: Manly Daily March 28, 2013 11:32AM MANLY coach Geoff Toovey has called for an overhaul of the NRL judiciary's grading system after Richie Fa'aoso's grade three dangerous contact charge was reduced on Wednesday night. The former Melbourne and Newcastle forward was facing a four-game ban if he lost his appeal following his challenge on Gold Coast back-rower Ashley Harrison last Saturday. Fa'aoso caught Harrison with his shoulder, but the Queensland State of Origin star was knocked out following a clash of heads between the pair after contact had been made. The 28-year-old is the latest in a long line of players who have secured a victory at the judiciary after fighting the grading of a dangerous contact charge, including Ben Te'o and Greg Inglis last year. It prompted Toovey to call for more transparency from the match review committee when grading offences. "I said last year that the grading system needs an overhaul,'' he said. "I think that we need to protect the players and we have laws about contact to players' heads. "You can ban the tackle altogether if you really want. That is the way to get around it. "We accept the decision by the people that make the rules. Any contact to the head is unacceptable. "But there needs to be a better system. But we think the panel did a great job, and we got a very fair hearing." Fa'aoso's counsel, Nicholas Ghabar, conceded the hit on Harrison was illegal but successfully argued it was comparable to an incident involving Billy Slater in round two, and he'll now only miss Thursday's clash with the Wests Tigers. Storm star Slater was slugged with a grade one charge when he raced crossfield and used his shoulder to knock over North Queensland winger Antonio Winterstein in the lead up to a try for the Cowboys but escaped a ban by taking an early guilty plea. NRL prosecutor Peter Kite argued that Fa'aoso made a deliberate choice to instigate the illegal action and by doing so created the possibility of a head clash. Kite also claimed the incident wasn't comparable to Slater's as the fullback was coming across the field to chase down an opponent and Fa'aoso raced out of the line and had time to pull out of the challenge. Toovey said the challenge was worthwhile but acknowledged the welfare of players was the most important thing in the game. "Richie made the tackle now which is illegal and we accept that," Toovey said. "We hope Ashley Harrison is OK to play this weekend. Players' welfare is at the forefront of everyone's mind. "Richie was very remorseful during and after the game and worried about his fellow player." The three-man panel of Don McKinnon, Michael Vella and Sean Garlick took 20 minutes to make the decision. Fa'aoso will be free to return for the match against Canterbury next Friday at ANZ Stadium. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-coach-not-happy-after-richie-faaoso-shoulder-charge-downgraded/story-fngr8iii-1226608312460 Tooves is a very astute coach with ideas to promote rugby league and a fair system for all, Some of the grading are ridiculus and not consistant because if it's a no-name they are punished more severely that an elite player. Fa'aoso's hit was a sholder charge and deserved a penalty and that should of been it. But because he's not a superstar the media are all over him and were calling for a 4 week ban to make an example to others. If it had of been one of the media lovechilds you'd hardly hear a thing i.e Slater taking out Winterstien knocking him out and then the following when he "kicked a player in the head" etc .etc.