Sea Eagles Love Their Cherry

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY'S desperation to secure Daly Cherry-Evans long-term looks certain to come at the expense of popular stalwart Glenn Stewart, who has already attracted interest from Canberra over the summer.

Read More

MANLY'S desperation to secure Daly Cherry-Evans long-term looks certain to come at the expense of popular stalwart Glenn Stewart, who has already attracted interest from Canberra over the summer.

Less than two years have passed since the halfback's agent, Gavin Orr, applied a very public blow torch to earn his client a pay rise and extension in 2012. Although Cherry-Evans contracted until the end of next season, the same rumbles are being heard as a result of the 24-year-old becoming an established starter on the Queensland and Australian bench. Manly officials are aware both Brisbane and Canterbury are poised to throw $1 million-plus at him, and have fast-tracked negotiations with for another upgrade and extension.

Josh Massoud and James Hooper

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sport-confidential-bulldogs-coach-des-hasler-extends-stay-in-belmore/story-fni3fbgz-1226814171921

I'd take that deal. How many good young backrowers do we have on the books? And how many good young halfbacks? Deal! But it's probably all crap.

Agree, Gifty would get the money that Manly can't offer him next year too.

DCE is the next Killer, great skills, calm under pressure and personable to boot :angel:

Sorry but, while DCE is awesome, so is Gifty and I would hate we do a "Brent Kite" or a "George Rose" to him. You cannot just bend every time a players agent "requires" buffing!!!!

anthonyb1965 said:
Sorry but, while DCE is awesome, so is Gifty and I would hate we do a "Brent Kite" or a "George Rose" to him. You cannot just bend every time a players agent "requires" buffing!!!!

Hear hear well said!!

On Gifty, if he wants a kings ransome then naturally he'll be told to revise his figures. He may take a pay cut/more modest salary like Matai has done in the past to stay at our mighty club.

Mals said:
anthonyb1965 said:

Hear hear well said!!

On Gifty, if he wants a kings ransome then naturally he'll be told to revise his figures. He may take a pay cut/more modest salary like Matai has done in the past to stay at our mighty club.

That's all good and well, but what if we simply cannot fit both in the Salary Cap and we have to choose. the reality is that the donkeys and flea bags will throw a million at Cherry and we will have to be close to that to keep him. That in itself will require the shedding of some players.

I love Gifty, but his stats have been on a steady decline for three seasons now. He needs to have a big 2014 or it will be time for him to go to England and the likes of Chee Kam come through.

Well here we go again. Love Cherry and also hate the thought of our Stewies being separated but this year my aim is not to get emotionally caught up in rumours until the facts are clear.

niccipops said:
Well here we go again. Love Cherry and also hate the thought of our Stewies being separated but this year my aim is not to get emotionally caught up in rumours until the facts are clear.

Yeah hear hear
It wasn't that long ago that the boys suposedly did not talk
Chock has said it more than once-the players are fairly tight and would discuss amongst themselves and many have been prepared to negotiate their worth as a playing group
It has been on eof our strengths and will continue to be
media-writers block-

Reality is DCE will be ONE OF the marquee player's in the competition for 5 or 6 seasons.....even more so when your Thurstons & Smiths & Slaters are now past 30 .... and we will have to pay big time for that.

When salary caps involved its never easy to bet the farm all on one player - but players like DCE don't come along too often.

We'll keep DCE and we won't begrudge what he is worth.
As for players like Gift, he will always be regarded as a Manly champ and part of our glorious playing heritage.
But it's pro sport, and loyalty is a two-way street. Don't forget Manly would dump him if his form dropped. The offer from any club to any player is determined by how much that player is needed by that club at any given time, and I never blame players for doing the best for their own career.
DCE is already one of the 'faces of the game', just look at the NRL marketing.

Get ready for a whole year of News limited pony driven propaganda about Cherry coming home blah blah blah.

Manly need to ensure that he is re-signed ASAP. He and Foran can bring Manly continued success.

I would hate to see gift leave but if i had to choose, it would have to be DCE without a doubt.

Gift has lucky 3 seasons left, DCE could play on for 10 years... and you just get the feeling he hasn't hit his peak.

He has all the marking of the next joey johns.

Mals said:
anthonyb1965 said:

Hear hear well said!!

he did that when he re-signed last time, choc mentioned it in an interview during last years semi final series.
we will have to wait & see if he is prepared to do the same again

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8