Sea Eagles may start 2008 slowly: Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Here you go Ryan:

Sea Eagles ready for quick jump in 2008
AAP

Test fullback Brett Stewart insists Manly are fitter and stronger than last season and ready for another early NRL onslaught.

The Sea Eagles won 10 of their first 11 games last year to be the early pace-setters and Stewart on Tuesday declared the 2008 side ready to be equally devastating in the opening rounds of the competition.

"We've had a pretty good pre-season, we are probably in a better position now than we were at the start of the last season," he said.

"Our fitness and skills and the way we are training, I think we are looking better than we were this time last year."

Manly will face Cronulla at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night, Stewart set to make his comeback from post-season knee surgery after missing both trial matches last month.

The 23-year-old had a limited pre-season, but used his time rehabilitating from surgery to increase his lean muscle mass in the gym, adding 1.5 kilograms to his frame.

Perhaps more importantly for the Sea Eagles, the added weight hasn't reduced the prolific tryscorer's blinding speed.

"I've put on about a kilo and a half and kept my speed, so the coaching staff is pretty happy with that," he said.

"I probably spent a little bit more time in the gym than usual.

"I've been doing full contact for about five weeks or so now. All my strength is back and all the pain (in my knee) is gone as well so I'm pretty happy with it.

"I was still getting a couple of little bits of pain probably three or four weeks ago so (coach Des Hasler) didn't want to risk it in a couple of trials."

Stewart was on Tuesday named in a near-full strength Sea Eagles line-up, with new recruits David Vaealiki and Josh Perry plus hooker Matt Ballin and winger Michael Bani the additions to last year's losing grand final side.

Vaealiki replaces injured Test centre Steve Matai, Bani and Ballin replace departed duo Chris Hicks and Michael Monaghan while former NSW prop Perry's inclusion is at the expense of Jack Afamasaga.

You blokes are unbelievable. Firstly Jatz, if you had inserted the 2 lines after the line you quoted it makes a lot more sense.

"We're just going to run around the park and wherever we pop up we pop up," Orford said.

"Des has sort of given us a free rein this year to play what we see and blokes to push into holes and give us options inside and out.

"With that I'm sure you'll see Jamie and I running the ball a lot more and taking the line on."

Secondly, the exact same comments were made about Lyon and Orford taking time to gel last year before the season started, and we made the Grand Final.

clontaago link said:
You blokes are unbelievable. Firstly Jatz, if you had inserted the 2 lines after the line you quoted it makes a lot more sense.

\"We're just going to run around the park and wherever we pop up we pop up,\" Orford said.

\"Des has sort of given us a free rein this year to play what we see and blokes to push into holes and give us options inside and out.

\"With that I'm sure you'll see Jamie and I running the ball a lot more and taking the line on.\"

Secondly, the exact same comments were made about Lyon and Orford taking time to gel last year before the season started, and we made the Grand Final.

The additional lines wernt necessary for it to make sense to me, and nor was my short quote taking the meaning of it in isolation.

The context of the short quote i posted was in relation to the wishy washy nature of the entire article, but in particular to the suggestion by Orford that we would be slow out of the blocks this season.

Those quotes appear to reflect uncertainty or a lacklustre approach when Orford (as captain) would do much better to be making statements that reflect encouragement and a burning desire & will to win.

At the end of the day, its really only a fluffy piece, but even still, I reckon the Ox needs to be a bit more forthright and gung ho with his leadership.

Yes but its a catch 22 mate. Ox comes out and says we are ready to go, him and Ballin will gel straight away, then round 4 comes around and the combination is struggling and everyone wants his head for lying to us!!!

Ox is pretty good with the media actually. He goes along with the journo's and helps them out because generally I guess he realises that they aren't going to leave him alone until they get something....

Most likely he was asked something about Monas, and how long it might take Manly to recover from his loss etc - and you've got to appreciate that he doesn't want to heap the pressure on Matty Ballin either.

Virtually everyone at Manly tries to understate how everything is going, and they do their best to keep a lid on hype stories etc.

I've had my criticisms of Orford in the past, but I simply cannot question his character or his determination on the field. He's got plenty of ticker that's for sure.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=177055.msg179227#msg179227 date=1205272993]

\"We're just going to run around the park and wherever we pop up we pop up,\" Orford said.

\"Des has sort of given us a free rein this year to play what we see and blokes to push into holes and give us options inside and out.

\"With that I'm sure you'll see Jamie and I running the ball a lot more and taking the line on.\"

The additional lines wernt necessary for it to make sense to me, and nor was my short quote taking the meaning of it in isolation.

The context of the short quote i posted was in relation to the wishy washy nature of the entire article, but in particular to the suggestion by Orford that we would be slow out of the blocks this season.

Those quotes appear to reflect uncertainty or a lacklustre approach when Orford (as captain) would do much better to be making statements that reflect encouragement and a burning desire & will to win.

At the end of the day, its really only a fluffy piece, but even still, I reckon the Ox needs to be a bit more forthright and gung ho with his leadership.
[/quote]

bullS**t

it had nothing to do with me

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts