Sea Eagles V Storm [Round 1 2014] discussion tread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Was it 6 or 7 penalties in a row to the scum from the start of the second half? Even people at where I was watching it who don't like Manly were saying it was a joke! Look at the previous games this weekend! The storm got away with their grubby tactics all night, yet we got penalised for much less in the second half! The refs were an absolute joke tonight! They got the scum back into the game!

bennyeagle said:
So what's the verdict on snake, I'm over this ... of him coming off Injured !
As much as I like Snake, at the end of last year I thought his on/off injury was too unsettling for the team.
Also, thought Snakes kicking tonight would aggravate his hamstring.
If would could take the disk out of Snakes head & put it into a younger player, we'd have something.

I am now calm enough to say #@%£ big time :mad:

Can't wait to see the replay, as at the ground, the penalties were incredible, indefensible a straight copy of The Echidna's warped view of RL Rules :dodgy:

Losing Snake just rubs salt into our wounds.:(

Only highlight was having the Newbies shine :)

Joee, Josh Perry and Mark Bryant also cheering Manly :angel:

StuBoot said:
Dan said:
clean drop and we get penalised by the ref who wasn't standing right on top of it and had no problem with it

This is what really $hits me. Refs see stuff in the run of play and let it go only for the other ref ( who's further away ) or the video ref looks at something if someone stays down. Even Brandy tonight got frustrated - "c'mon just make a decision!". Not to mention the touchie on the near side missing about 6 forward passes from both teams - the only called on his side he missed- it was called by the ref. The amount of forward passés they missed from dummy half last night is ridiculous.
What was the possession count in the 2nd half? We were lucky to take it to extra time to be honest.
25 rounds to go and we'll be thereabouts.
PS - to all the Snake naysayers...pay him whatever it takes
Get a boot ready and a nice warm coat and a seat on the bench. Again...

voicefromthehill said:
Hiku would do well to hold the ball with two hands - that wasn't the difference though

Experience, experience.
Can't fault his effort and courage, but most fullbacks don't try to hit it up on kick returns, that's what big wingers & centres are for.
Put it down as a learning experience.

Poor Cherry-Evans. Not blaming him for the loss at all, but that pass with four tackles up their sleeve and 10 metres out in extra time, was the final straw that broke them. Timing was way out. But hey he's a great player and wins us a lot of games. Cant be perfect all the time.

Bearfax said:
Poor Cherry-Evans. Not blaming him for the loss at all, but that pass with four tackles up their sleeve and 10 metres out in extra time, was the final straw that broke them. Timing was way out. But hey he's a great player and wins us a lot of games. Cant be perfect all the time.
I am - what a plonker :)
Had a few beers and happy t point fingers. Will probably regret it in the morning but hey :) that's what we are on this site for. Passion, beer and talking ****e.

Could have used a captain with a calm head settling the team down tonight. As great as Killer is, even I get the ****s with him constantly giving it to the ref. It's not surprising the 50/50 calls didn't go our way.

• 👍
Reactions: God
Fact is Lui was running a block play - flat & DCE instinctively hit him....if he scores we are making threads that he played a positive attacking ball to put the Storm to the sword...not to be.
DCE will bring us home when it counts which is not the 1st round.

Cliffy said:
Could have used a captain with a calm head settling the team down tonight. As great as Killer is, even I get the ... with him constantly giving it to the ref. It's not surprising the 50/50 calls didn't go our way.

There were no 50/50 calls that went Manlys way tonight! Killer never even spoke to the refs before the whistle happy pink losers started blowing penalties for what the scum got away with all game! They wanted an even contest and they got one! I can't believe that some people on here cannot see that!

captaincarpo said:
Cliffy said:
Could have used a captain with a calm head settling the team down tonight. As great as Killer is, even I get the ... with him constantly giving it to the ref. It's not surprising the 50/50 calls didn't go our way.

There were no 50/50 calls that went Manlys way tonight! Killer never even spoke to the refs before the whistle happy pink losers started blowing penalties for what the scum got away with all game! They wanted an even contest and they got one! I can't believe that some people on here cannot see that!
the storm havent lost their first game in 10 years,now you can see why

Knew it was to good to be true we really have a knack for blowing big leads some times. As soon as Snake didnt return to the field we where in trouble , Matai isnt a winger and Horo isnt a centre. Peta had a bad second half and some of the newer forwards as I feared are not ready for 80 minutes of footy. Not the end of the world yet and never get carried away with big leads in the first half wth Manly just hold on to your seats and pray.

I am the first one to say the refs have no love for us and probably never will , i was at the GF last year and still cant believe the decisions on that night.. still very upset with the thought

BUT i just can not find myself to use that excuse tonight..

- up 20 nil should of been more
- at brooky
- unnecessary high tackles , racking the ball once held , etc...
- after so much defense , we get a penalty we are out on our feet and we take a tap when our team was not ready... probably would of gained more meters if we kicked for touch ( and a 30 second break )
- golden opportunity to have a crack at closing the game but DUMB DUMB pass

sorry if you disagree

On holidays down the south coast so did not watch or listen to the game. I'm guessing the 1st half was sharp crisp and direct when the fatigue and possession levels went our way and we are overly blaming the square up.(not saying it is not a cause but it is usually a piss poor excuse)

Many times the square up happens due to the opposition coming out of the blocks looking for immediate impact after the break raise their intensity and get on a roll winning the 50/50 calls.

For such an experienced group of players we too often lack composure and direction when things don't go our way and in the past fatigue levels start to increase amplifying the problem with wild possession swings and field position. Yes the square up will create fatigue but our discipline and composure during this period makes us slump big time.

Will watch the online replay tomorrow or Monday hope I am wrong though. I feel a heart breaking loss like this with an inexperienced front row could see the discipline slip big time with too much ground to make up mid season.

Im really disappointed with this loss, espicailly the fact we may now lose snake for an extended period.

At least its Rd1, have plenty of time to get the season back on track. The first half we showed some really promising play.

Technical Coach said:
On holidays down the south coast so did not watch or listen to the game. I'm guessing the 1st half was sharp crisp and direct when the fatigue and possession levels went our way and we are overly blaming the square up.(not saying it is not a cause but it is usually a piss poor excuse)

Many times the square up happens due to the opposition coming out of the blocks looking for immediate impact after the break raise their intensity and get on a roll winning the 50/50 calls.

For such an experienced group of players we too often lack composure and direction when things don't go our way and in the past fatigue levels drop and amplify the problem with wild possession swings and field position.

Will watch the online replay tomorrow or Monday hope I am wrong though. I feel a heart breaking loss like this with an inexperienced front row could see the discipline slip big time with too much ground to make up mid season.

TC, it wasn't just the square ups, it was where and when. They didn't need to run the ball from inside their 20 for most of the second half, they pretty much started every set at halfway or better - I almost felt like ringing Sportsbet to ask the odds of a first or second tackle penalty to the Storm ( tongue in cheek there TC, but hopefully you get my point ).
It's hard for things to go your way when you don't have the ball and on the few occasions we did it obviously felt like we had to play catch up.
The ONLY time we got a repeat set in the 2nd half led to our match levelling penalty.
Penalties and refs interpretations are the biggest blight on our game and you just hope like hell they even out over the year but games like tonight shows that emphatically. We lead the count 7-3 at half time and lead 20-4, I lost count in the 2nd half but it was probably more than that to the Storm and they won it 19-2.
Yes, we lacked experience in some situations but the only rub of the green we got tonight was the no obstruction call on Blair's no try in extra time.

It takes a couple of rounds for Chez to get into it. He had brain fades early last year, like in the Titans game.

No damage stations yet.

Rose said ‘‘Killer always goes up to the ref. That’s why they changed the rule!’’

George bags his ex captain.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8