Sea Eagles v Warriors Teams 2011 GRAND FINAL teams, news & discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Masked Eagle said:
Fonz said:
brookiegreg said:
Yes talkin Sport said Mauro and Robinson are dropped from the run on team.

Lussick and Gifty haven't played for 4 weeks so that is an issue. It won't be a hot day but game fitness is an issue for Des to consider for those 2.

Tunks thought Glenn might even come off bench once the tough stuff softening up period of 15-20 mins is over

Fitness won't be a problem for Gifty and Lussick. They've been doing 90 extra minutes fitness every day. They'll be fit and super fresh. No bumps or niggles.

Agreed. What helps is that T-Rex has shown he can go the 80 minutes these days as well and with cover like Rodney and Buhrer on the bench if at any stage Gift needs a rest he can get it. Its even less of a worry for Lussick who'll pretty much be wound up and told to rip and tear til he can't anymore and he'll be given a rest. Wouldn't think he'd play more than 30 minutes match total anyway.

God I hope he walks out there

Looks that way, surprising actually. I'd have Lussick over Mauro only because he provides more of an x factor. Mauro and Rodney are 2 of the same type for mine

Weather on sunday might be a factor with the teams. There's a good chance of rain and the preceding days will have plenty of rain around.

Think I mentioned this a couple of days ago, but at this stage it looks more and more like we will have a day very much like the 2008 Grand Final: overcast & cool with some rainy patches around.

It definitely won't be hot and sunny.

BOM 4 day chart: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/4day_col.shtml

Got asked a few times today whether we would win, I said I'm quietly confident but i added that if we play to our full potential there will be no way we will lose

Surely Lussick has to be in the 17. Mauro is a good toiler and I like him but Lussick provides more impact for me.

Yes I am more confident this week than last week against the Bongos, hope that is not a bad omen

Garts said:
Surely Lussick has to be in the 17. Mauro is a good toiler and I like him but Lussick provides more impact for me.

Lussick has the xfactor off the bench for me, he has had that enforced spell and will be psyched for a big game,
Our bench of (which I think will be)
Shane Rodney
Jamie Buhrer
George Rose
Darcy Lussick
Are 4 players that would probably start for any other team is better than the Warriors 4
I'm expecting Kite to step up again as well

---

Likely GF team:

The Prince of Brookvale
Wangman
Killer
Kiwi Steve
Hoppa Jnr
Foz
Dale
Smokin' Joe
Balls
Kitey
The Army of One
The Queen Mary
Gifty

Rods
Ferris
Gorgeous George
The Terminator

---

That's a sweet lineup right there.
As Berk said, if we play well for most of the game, make few mistakes and keep tight in our defence, we'll win and can win it well.

Go Manly Warringah!

FORMER Penrith NRL coach Matt Elliott runs his rule over the grand final tactics and picks the Manly Sea Eagles as his eventual winner.

Semi-Final Form

Manly

Of all the teams in this year's semi-final series, the performances of Manly have been far and away the most complete and impressive.

They had to roll with the punches in the first half against the Cowboys, which is a capacity you have to display at this time of the year when you are playing high-quality opposition. However, for the next 120 minutes of finals footy, they looked in control and united in their execution, which is no mean feat against a side like the Broncos that have strike weapons right across the field.

What this means

That Manly come into Sunday's game with a massive belief in each other - and their structure - allows them a week of preparation to focus on small adjustments to address the Warriors' strengths and easily integrate the new personnel back into their team.

One negative possibility is that because they've answered every question asked of them during games over the last period, should they strike some genuine adversity, lose momentum and fall behind on the scoreboard, do they have recent experiences to overcome such a situation?

This, however, is a team jam-packed with grand final experience from players to coach.

Warriors

After copping a thumping in week one of the semis, the Warriors have shown genuine intestinal fortitude, fighting their way back to snatch victory in the dying minutes against Wests Tigers, who were at that time the form side in the competition.

Then, last weekend, they out-toiled the Storm, a team that ground its way to completely dominate the NRL this year. On top of that they nullified the contribution of three of the best players in rugby league.

What this means

If you were one of the Warriors players you'd be starting to believe that it was meant to be.

While that may sound a bit out there, the most important commodity at this time of the year is confidence and the boys from Auckland aren't consolidating in this department as their confidence is building a very dangerous momentum.

The only issue that may be attached to the run in to the grand final is the energy they've had to use in not only overcoming such high quality opposition in hard-fought battles, but also the excitement of the build-up into this week.

I see Ivan Cleary's laid-back nature and understated approach as their biggest asset in combating this potential problem.

Strengths

Warriors

I reiterate that the confidence that is building right across the Warriors is a major factor that makes this highly talented group a very dangerous opposition. With so much attention being placed on their young halves, I feel that the massive contribution of key forwards has gone a little unnoticed. Last week against the Storm, Rapira, Lillyman, Mannering and Luck paved a massive path for their team to graft out a victory.

These guys came up with crucial carries when the Storm were looking to pin them in their territory and, perhaps more importantly, they played a key role in minimising Cameron Smith's contribution. These guys will again have to lay the foundation for their teammates to unleash their talents.

On a specific note, the carries from Manu Vatuvei on play two set the platform for the Warriors' yardage game. It's something that I'm sure Manly have identified as vital to address.

Manly

Manly are playing with a unity that typified their march to a 2008 grand final victory. This is in no small way a testimony to Des Hasler's mentoring. But, additionally, it's appropriate to acknowledge the leadership of Jamie Lyon. While Lyon may not come across in the media as your typically inspirational captain, his team responds to what he does and says.

Add to this nine other players with grand final experience and the Sea Eagles have a definite edge in this department. The speed and skill in the Manly backrow is another factor that troubles all their opponents. Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Tony Williams and Shane Rodney will test the Warriors defence with a combination of power, footwork and subtle skill at the line.

X Factors

Manly

Kieran Foran brings a dynamic that's very difficult to contain.

His willingness to run aggressively to the line with the option of hitting Tony Williams off his shoulder and Brett Stewart out the back will present a huge challenge to Maloney on the Warriors' right-side defence.

This, coupled with his capacity to pull off a big hit and lift his team in defence, is something that belies his age. The Warriors will have done their homework on containing this kid.

Warriors

For me, it's their bench. Over recent weeks Ivan Cleary has stuck to a formula of introducing Mateo, Heremaia, Matulino and Packer when the initial sting has gone out of the game.

All these guys have caused major challenges around the ruck area in the back end of the halves.

In particular, Feleti Mateo has been able to come on and deliver what his team requires.

When they were chasing the game against the Tigers he penetrated the edge to score a try and came up with his trademark offloads to create problems and suck the energy out of the defence.

In last week's game he led the way in punching the ball forward and defending tight.

Krisnan Inu under the high ball on their right-hand side is someone who can produce points and create anxiety in the opposition defensive line.

Weaknesses

Warriors

Lewis Brown and Shaun Johnson defending side by side on their left will be tested more than they have in recent weeks because Cherry-Evans and the Stewart brothers are so potent on that side of the park. Brown's lack of top-end speed and Johnson's sometimes frail tackle present cracks that will be examined.

Again, we toss the coin with Manu under the high ball. If he catches the first one, I suggest that Manly will find somewhere else to kick the ball.

However, should he fumble it we know that Hopoate will be there to swoop on any opportunity.

Manly

There is a lack of steam on the Manly bench with Buhrer, Rose and Lussick, which leaves the starting props exposed for minutes.

Should there be any injuries, this could leave them short. When you consider the questions that Locke, Heremaia, Hohaia and Johnson ask in the ruck, this could prove a vital facet of the game.

My Tip

Manly.

Darcy Lussick seems to be 1 of the players to be dropped off the bench

2GB just said the Des pulled Darcy aside after training and had his arm around him so they think he's out

Berkeley_Eagle said:

2GB just said the Des pulled Darcy aside after training and had his arm around him so they think he's out

Des could also have been giving wise words about ripping in when he gets on. No idea 2GB and neither will anyone till Des has to name the 17 lineup.

mickqld said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

Des could also have been giving wise words about ripping in when he gets on. No idea 2GB and neither will anyone till Des has to name the 17 lineup.
its true just got a DM from a twitterer that knows

I wouldn't be surprised is he is left out. We all know Des likes experience and he has only played seven (i think) games and hasn't played for five weeks. It would be a MASSIVE ask for the young bloke to play.

Mauro brings stability and work ethic, he plays that grinding hard work of play you need in a gf, although i wouldnt be suprised if Lussick does play !

Central Coast Eagle said:
I wouldn't be surprised is he is left out. We all know Des likes experience and he has only played seven (i think) games and hasn't played for five weeks. It would be a MASSIVE ask for the young bloke to play.

If that happens then its abit like King and Hall in the 2008 GF - experienced grunt players who have played all the games in finals series

Would like to see Lussick play but Des obviously knows best here :angel:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4