SeaEagles v Tigers Rd4 Game day thread #GoManly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Pick the score

• Manly 1-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manly 5-8

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Manly 9-12

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Manly 13+

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Tigers 1-6

• Tigers 7-12

• Tigers 13+

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay, first of all I haven't made a prediction yet so I dont know where this erroneous Mickqld prediction is being quoted from.
Secondly I am not a witch as I have male bits so I'd have to be a Warlock.
Thirdly I'm not a Warlock because if I was I wouldn't be running around on a Saturday working instead of being at the footy drinking piss. Also Manly would never lose a game if I was a Warlock and I'd be filthy stinking rich living in a Heffner type mansion,(with Grotto)
Finally I don't know who's going to win this as I just got home and haven't checked the teams yet.
So just bloody well wait okay :rules:

mickqld said:
Okay, first of all I haven't made a prediction yet so I dont know where this erroneous Mickqld prediction is being quoted from.
Secondly I am not a witch as I have male bits so I'd have to be a Warlock.
Thirdly I'm not a Warlock because if I was I wouldn't be running around on a Saturday working instead of being at the footy drinking piss. Also Manly would never lose a game if I was a Warlock and I'd be filthy stinking rich living in a Heffner type mansion,(with Grotto)
Finally I don't know who's going to win this as I just got home and haven't checked the teams yet.
So just bloody well wait okay :rules:
Who's Grotto?

MWSE said:
I think you will find that Lawrence and Kite have huge engines so they can get a lot of minutes out of them.

Almost, semi, somewhat certain Lawrence played the whole first half in the front row last week.

Playing Tigers at Gosford a mistake. It's more a home game for them than us due to crowd support. That plus the let down of last weeks loss plus the energy sapping conditions last weekend makes me think we will have heavy legs. Tigers will try to play fast and open spinning the ball all over the park. Tigers by 14.

mickqld said:
Playing Tigers at Gosford a mistake. It's more a home game for them than us due to crowd support. That plus the let down of last weeks loss plus the energy sapping conditions last weekend makes me think we will have heavy legs. Tigers will try to play fast and open spinning the ball all over the park. Tigers by 14.

Yay. It's about time. I will hopefully be able to sleep tonight now. Thanks Mick.

Last meeting: Round 2 2012, Sea Eagles 22 bt Tigers 18 at Bluetongue Stadium
Head-to-head: Sea Eagles 10 Tigers 7
Referees: Matt Cecchin, Luke Phillips.
TV: Live, Channel 9
TAB Sportsbet: Sea Eagles $1.40 Tigers $3.00
FootyTab: Tigers +7.5
Phil Mitchell writes: Wests Tigers probably felt as though they'd dodged a bullet when this match was switched from Brookvale Oval to Bluetongue Stadium. Brookvale has long been a graveyard for the Tigers, who have won only one of eight matches at the ground against Manly or the Northern Eagles and haven't left the northern beaches with two points since 2003.
But Manly have been much less dominant on the central coast, holding only a 3-2 advantage. Mick Potter's men are starting to build some momentum and are chasing their first hat-trick of victories since round 14 last season. But they will be well aware that scoring back-to-back wins at home against Penrith and Parramatta is one thing, beating Manly away is another.
The Sea Eagles may have slipped up against the Titans last weekend but underlined their premiership credentials with impressive victories against the Broncos and Knights in the opening two rounds. They also emerged from the Titans clash with an apparent clean bill of health, although prop Richie Fa'aoso will miss Thursday's match because of suspension.
Advertisement
Phil's tip: Sea Eagles by 8.
AAP writes: The Tigers rediscovered their mojo against Parramatta last Friday, producing a scintillating first-half display against the Eels on their way to a 31-18 victory. However, the Sea Eagles will be a much tougher nut to crack, despite last week's disappointing 14-12 loss to Gold Coast.
Giant winger Marika Koroibete is out for the Tigers with a foot injury and the in-form Jorge Taufua will fancy his chances out wide against the defensively vulnerable Matt Utai.
Key: Daly Cherry-Evans hasn't done much wrong in his short career as Manly halfback, so kicking out on the full to hand the Titans victory on a plate last week, will have hurt him. Can he overcome his howler and bounce back against Benji Marshall?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-preview/manly-sea-eagles-v-wests-tigers-20130327-2guf7.html#ixzz2OlnOMpTU

Sea Eagles v Wests Tigers preview
By Nigel Wall,
NRL.com
Wed 27th March, 4:00pm

Manly mentor Geoff Toovey is probably still shaking his head in disbelief following the Sea Eagles’ 16-14 loss to the Titans on the Gold Coast last Saturday – but he’ll know there’s no point in dwelling on the past if they’re to prepare adequately for their short-turnaround clash with the Wests Tigers in Gosford on Thursday.

Looking at Manly’s horrendous completions (just 64 per cent) and error count (14) you’d be excused for thinking the players were wearing oven mitts throughout the 80 minutes. Their fumble fingers and poor respect for possession saw the Titans gifted nine full sets of tackles more, enabling them to claw out 41 more hit-ups than the Sydneysiders.

However, despite that dominance and a 14-nil scoreline through three quarters of the match the Sea Eagles still managed a three-tries-to-two advantage and it was only the dead-eyed goal-kicking accuracy of Aidan Sezer (four from four) and the wayward radar of Jamie Lyon (one from three) that proved the difference.

Meanwhile the Wests Tigers’ good form over the past fortnight since their 42-10 mauling at the hands of the Knights in Round 1 has taken a heap of pressure off rookie coach Mick Potter. Despite accounting for the Panthers in Round 2 the Tigers entered last week’s clash with the promising Eels as distinct underdogs; however a blistering first half, including two tries to centre Chris Lawrence inside the opening 20 minutes, set up an 18-nil advantage that was always going to be tough for Parramatta to overturn.

The Tigers’ 31-18 win leaves them in eighth place, the lowest-ranked of six teams on four competition points – with Manly (third place) the highest-ranked of those teams with two wins.

Richie Fa’aoso is contesting the grading of his dangerous contact charge following his shoulder hit on Ashley Harrison last Sunday; he needs to be successful at the judiciary on Wednesday night to take his place here.

Meanwhile Tigers coach Mick Potter has just the one forced change, with veteran Matt Utai replacing the injured Marika Koroibete (ankle) on the left wing.

Manly hold a 2-1 advantage in games played at Bluetongue Stadium, including a 22-18 victory in Round 2 last season.

Watch Out Sea Eagles: Big Jorge Taufua remains a little shaky defending attacking kicks on Manly’s left wing. He made a complete meal of cleaning up an Albert Kelly grubber last week, resulting in a try to David Mead. That will not have been lost on Robbie Farah, Jacob Miller or Benji Marshall – especially given Manly conceded more tries to kicks last year than any team (29). Also, a Marshall grubber yielded a try to Beau Ryan down Sea Eagles’ left edge the last time these sides met.

The Tigers rank second in the comp for line-breaks (averaging 5.7 a match) – seven of their squad have made multiple line-breaks just three weeks into the premiership, including centres Blake Ayshford and Chris Lawrence plus fullback Tim Moltzen, five-eighth Benji Marshall, hooker Robbie Farah and prop Aaron Woods. Clearly they will pose a threat all around the park.

Watch Out Wests Tigers: Chris Lawrence may have bagged a try double last week but he’ll have his work cut out repelling the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans, Jamie Lyon and David Williams down the Manly right edge. Lawrence has missed more tackles than any centre so far (10 in three matches). In particular he’ll need to be careful not to fall for a Cherry-Evans dummy – it led to a 70-metre try by the Manly No.7 last time they met.

Adam Blair will get a working over too – the back-rower has missed 13 tackles so far – the most in the league.

Tigers winger Joel Reddy will have to be at his defensive best marking Taufua – the Manly left winger is headed for a banner season if his five tries, five line-breaks (ranking him equal first in each category) and 157 metres a match are any indicator.

Plays To Watch: Anthony Watmough mixing attack with defence – he made 154 metres against the Knights then backed it up with 48 tackles against the Titans; Robbie Farah ducking into dummy-half and demanding fast play-the-balls from teammates – their 31 Fast PTBs were a deciding factor in the win over the Eels last week; Steve Matai (four offloads, most by a centre) creating migraines for Blake Ayshford; Aaron Woods (two tries) and Adam Blair looking to get over the stripe from inside the Manly red zone, like Ryan James did for the Titans last week.

Key Match-Up: Kieran Foran v Benji Marshall. A pair of attacking maestros who will have plenty of say in the contest, particularly creating opportunities close to the opponent’s try line.

Foran has been a little quiet to start 2013; he’s yet to score a try or make a break and has contributed just the one try assist to date – although to be fair that’s mostly because Daly Cherry-Evans has taken control (two try assists, a try, line-break and line-break assist). It’s just a matter of time before his attacking stats even out with his No.7’s.

Benji Marshall is the most dangerous player from both sides and if Manly’s defensive line speed isn’t up to scratch Marshall will cut them to pieces. He led all players for try assists and line-break assists last season (with 35 and 32 respectively) – with just the two try assists and one line-break assist so far, a breakout game surely isn’t too far away. And Benji set up two tries the last time they met.

Where It Will Be Won: While both teams feature plenty of potential match-winners in attack it’s likely the side that muscles up in defence will play from in front – and it’s here the Sea Eagles hold a clear edge. Through three rounds Manly have missed the third-fewest tackles, averaging just 16.3 per game, and have conceded the fewest line-breaks of all teams (just 1.3 per game).

Despite notching two victories the Tigers have offered mediocre resistance to date: they are missing the most tackles in the NRL (30.3 per game – almost double the Sea Eagles’ tally) and have conceded the fifth-most line-breaks (5.3 per week).

The History: Played 17; Sea Eagles 10, Wests Tigers 7. Manly have won six of the past nine – but the Tigers have won three of the past five. It should be a close contest – four of the past five clashes have been decided by four points or less.

Match Officials: Referees – Jared Maxwell & Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials – Adam Reid & Adam Gee; Video Referees – Chris Ward & Gavin Reynolds.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live 7.30pm (AEDT); Fox Sports 1 – Delayed 10pm.

The Way We See It: Based solely on what they’ve shown defensively in 2013 it’s difficult to go past the Sea Eagles. One thing’s for sure: there will be plenty of points scored over the 80 minutes. Manly by eight points. (PS – fans planning to go to the game are urged to allow plenty of travel time given anticipated Easter traffic congestion up the F3 on Thursday afternoon.)

Isn't it funny how 2 wins on the trot at the start of the season breeds overconfidence on this forum. Whenever this place says we will win easily we lose and the Titans seem to be a bit of a bogey for us. So for all those who have us at 13+ against an even better team like the Tigers, I'll blame you if we lose.

Titans are a better side than the tigers and will finish well ahead of the tigers this year in my opinion.Their defence in particular is so much more organised and has venom. They wont lose many at skilled park.

Us by plenty with confidence. Only a supreme ""chechinning"" can save the pussycats.

Not sure if it has been mentioned or not however there is a very good chance Tedesco will come in and take Utai's spot on the wing.

Even though Utai was named all week , Tedesco was in line to come up.
Only reason this might change is if the coach has had a change of heart.

If indeed there is a swap - tedesco is a good player but I couldnt see him impacting the game to highly from the wing, however perhaps a switch with moltzen during the game is on the cards , as tedesco carved last week in NSW Cup.

Pretty sure Utai failed his fitness test also which is why he must of been on standby

susan said:
Titans are a better side than the tigers and will finish well ahead of the tigers this year in my opinion.Their defence in particular is so much more organised and has venom. They wont lose many at skilled park.

Us by plenty with confidence. Only a supreme ""chechinning"" can save the pussycats.

The Titans defence will be good and that's probably carty's stron suit. Their worry will be the halves and getting quality plays out of them week in week out. As much as I like Matty Rogers I don't know if he can get them going.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4