Should we go for Bird?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes just what we need a 31 year old by the time he arrives. We are old and slow at the moment and need an injection of young players not old band aid solutions.
Most of our forwards arent that old. They're either busted or innefective, with the exception of J.Turbo, Leary and at the moment Horo. Buhrer, Starling, Lawrence, Jsl, Lui, Burgess, Hasson are either busted, innefective or inconsistent. Mason and Matteo being the elders.

I can see Bird being a step above half of our younger and older forwards.

Last edited:
Myles and bird will go a long way towards fixing the defensive weakness and lack of meters from the forwards. Myles on his own is not enough to get Manly back into the 8. The more origin forwards the better, mediocrity is no longer an option with watmough and glenn stewart gone.

Last edited:
It's a gamble, some players can play well into their 30's, others can really nosedive. Are South's and Parra getting their money's worth from our ex internationals ?

I say get him,he can play 5/8 lock second row ,he's short kick close are as good as any half and his toughness is exactly what we are missing at the moment,so if we can afford him even if it's for say 2 years we will benefit in the long run.

On the other hand why don't they go for Lewis brown. Reasonably young runs hard and can tackle all day . When is he off contract?
I agree with Lewis Brown Brad. A mate of mine who is involved with the panthers said he has heard he wont be at the panthers next year,hope he comes to us

A big No over Bird, we need youth in our team and the risk with him is he is a serial offender for suspensions.
We have youth in our pack, but with the exception of Jake T, Leary and Horo, they're all either injured, innefective or inconsistent.

I have nothing against Bird.....as a player. He's one of the best back rowers going around and would be a welcome addition to any pack, including ours.

But I have to question.....do we need another 30+ forward who is only going to be around for at best 2 or 3 years?

Are we becoming a retirement home for ageing journeyman forwards looking for one last pay day? Mason, Mateo, Myles next year and possibly Bird. All are the wrong side of 30. Even BJ is over 30.

Last edited:
No for mine. He's at the end of his career and there's more potential and value in Ligi Sao (who is already part of the system).

I have nothing against Bird.....as a player. He's one of the best back rowers going around and would be a welcome addition to any pack, including ours.

But I have to question.....do we need another 30+ forward who is only going to be around for at best 2 or 3 years?

Are we becoming a retirement home for ageing journeyman forwards looking for one last pay day? Mason, Mateo, Myles next year and possibly Bird. All are the wrong side of 30. Even BJ is over 30.
You make it sound that if your 30 or over then your washed up,if that's the case then we need a whole new team ,then we should get rid of snake,Lyons mattai,ballin lawrance,etc,we do that where's the experience coming from,like I said youth combined with games experience then you have a well balanced side.

From The Lurker:

Manly hunt Bird

BIG spenders Manly haven’t given up on signing the fiery Greg Bird for next season - but will have to cut some dead wood to do so.

After spending a fortune to retain Daly Cherry-Evans, Manly are out of cash to sign Bird - as things stand now.

But if they can move on some players - and they are determined to do so - they may be able to put together a package to sign the Blues State of Origin star.

Bird isn’t happy at the Titans, and the club is also prepared to let him go as part of their clean-up for 2016.

The Titans are determined to field a new look team next year, thus the decision to rid themselves of skipper Nate Myles.

Ironically, the decision not to make a decent offer to retain Myles rebounded on the club big time, resulting in his good mate Cherry-Evans backflipping on his rich Titans deal.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6