Snake vs Wombat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I saw the whole Eadie career. When he first burst into 1st grade in '71 I was in Year 7. I attended every FB match, and most of the away games from 71 to 80. Amazing especially bringing the ball back ~ it was like "get out of my way" - he would just run through defenders. When they didnt let go, he would carry them forward. 2 and 3 of them.
GI reminds me of Wombat: Big strong fast, runs into holes, good with the ball, determined. His tackles were bone crunchers, If you could get rid of the ball to avoid being tackled head on by Wombat, you did so. He worked very well with ball distributing halves: Fulton, Thompson, Gibbs, I Martin, S Martin who would deliver to him in a gap. He scored 71 tries for Manly over 13 yrs in First grade. His play in the Finals series is stuff of Manly legend. Kangaroo etc. Very good goal kicker for us, especially in high pressure situations.
Snake plays a different game: a more 'technical' game. Not blessed with big size or toughness Snake has had to invent and re-invent his game. And to do these things i hold that Brett Stewart has had to overcome bigger obstacles in his life than many. Not the least of which is Type 1 diabetes, but also crippling injuries, court cases.
Brett's cover defence is as good as Wombat's front-on D.
If that had been Eadie running away from him at the SCG and not GI, Aug last year, Snake would have brought him down with a copybook tackle just the same.

Of course, Snake was faster, better link man, reads games better, anticipates, supports, and has done some amazing things with the ball that wouldn't have even occurred to Graham E.
Still in progress, Snakes career has been unique. Despite National selectors favouring Slater WE ALL KNOW that Snake is the better player. We can see he has a much better strike rate than Slater, and Eadie doesn't even come close to either - different era.
Manly s golden era enjoyed a much better win ratio when the Stewart Bros were playing, and such a marked dependance was NOT referred to during Eadie's time in relation to him. It was Fulton that this sort of talk centered upon.

We could have further threads entitled
Johnny Gibbs vs DCE,
R Gartner vs Killer,
Choc vs Igor,
Gifty vs Malcolm Reilly,
T Mooney vs M Robertson,
Cliffy vs Bozo vs Foz (and praps we should have them) etc
but it doesn't really work does it?
And there can be no definitive answer to any of it. Its opinions of course.

To conclude IMHO: Snake is a 9.37% ;) better Fullback than Graham Eadie was for Manly. As far as goal kicking is concerned Graham Eadie was a 100% better kicker than Snake, and that last one IS definitive. :rock:

Different players in different era's for manly . Eadie was the best in his and visa versa. We have the privilege of having both. Suck it up other clubs lol. And another one waiting in the wings.

No one has mentioned that Eadie played in an era when players weren't full timers. Despite that, he was still brilliant - head and shoulders above other fullbacks for around 8-9 seasons, maybe longer.

The area Eadie wins is with appearances for NSW and Australia. And goal-kicking. And premierships. And post-dated Clive Churchill medals.
Yet despite all that I cannot split them and will not. If the strengths of each were in one player that would be the greatest player of all time. (But they aren't, so that is still Bozo)

Does Mr Eadie have a kick ass highlights vid with crushin electronic music?

If not snake wins!

Wombat was in 6 gfs right? 4 wins 2 losses? He was certainly there in 82, with Randall. Then came back a few years later and won the pommy grand final

With Wombat's size, these days he'd be a back rower or centre.

Snake might have been a winger in Eadie's day mainly due to his speed.

They are 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I'm just glad both played their careers at Manly.

Wombat is most probably my favourite all-time player. His hit on a flying Steve Rogers in the 1978 GF and his performance in the subsequent 78 replay, will live with me till its time to call stumps. Having said that, I thing BS's defence and toughness is totally underrated. Most probably the more gifted player, he just never appears to be happy, which in itself is quite sad. Hope the club can muster a couple of good years to see him out.

The gym venture was prior to their respective careers at Manly ending - 1980. Eadie stood down from selection for the NZ tour, to help the business gain traction.

Wombat scored a try (and did a hammy) in halifax's premiership win in 87. I remember my old man saying that we should have got him back for our grand final that year along with Kevin ward, who flew back for the game.

To be fair to Brett you can not hold his rep record against him - much like beaver (who for mind was and is still woefully under acknowledged) he is far superior player than most of the media and rep darlings

Also whilst the players might have been part time there was no salary cap and the ability to purchase a winning team was greater...so in summary who the hell knows but it shows how good our club is that we could do this for almost every position.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6