Some misunderstandings about the cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I've read some things concerning Jamie Buhrer leaving to free up cap space to upgrade the Turbo's and others wondering how we will be able to fit other new signings under the cap and if we can indeed fit other new signing under the cap then why didn't we just keep Buhrer etc...

It's not that straight forward...

First let me start by saying that I am fan of Buhrer and would prefer we had kept him, but...

rather ironically Uate is a good example of how clubs measure the worth of a player under the cap. Newcastle would like to have Uate on the books next year but don't think he is worth 500k. If the old administration had signed him for 250k he would more than likely have played a full season of FG this year and be ready to rock n' roll for the Knights next year.

However, he was signed for an inflated price and in order to better balance the cap he has been moved on. Likewise Jennings and Lewis who I am sure the Panthers would have loved to keep but the price was wrong and the cap unbalanced.

So...moving on to Buhrer. I could be wrong but I think the club (or Fulton) decided that Buhrer was not worth the money he was on and moving him off to the Knights would ease cap pressure. Let's say Buhrer was on 600k...the club can sign two players 300k each and fill two spots in the squad of 25...maybe the Curtis Sironen opportunity opened up and the club can fit Uate and Sironen under the cap for the same price it costs to keep Buhrer?!

Or... the club might have Matulino in their sights and deem a hard running prop to be a priority over a hardworking backrower (especially given we have Jake T who tackles himself to a stand still etc).

I am not suggesting that we should or shouldn't have released Buhrer, but I know it's not as black and white as some people think. All clubs have to juggle the cap and it's never as simple as wanting someone to stay or not wanting someone to stay...it's complicated. It's a case by case basis with a host of considerations to be made based on money and squad strength and weakness.

Last edited:
Understand what your saying but jamie was probably only on about 250k .. Steve matai has busted his arse & broke his body for not much more. I feel sorry for blokes like them .. Mateo was on around 550k & could have solved our five/eighth problem this year but wasnt even given a chance to show what he could do & the same said with tom symonds he should have been in the 17 somewhere ..

When a player is contracted to a club and you release them, they invariably still get paid whatever the contract value was remaining on their deal....one way or another. You are assuming that Newcastle are paying full freight for Jamies contract with us for next year. How do you know we aren't paying some of his contract for the privilege of being able to move him on, much like the Knights are for Uate. Whatever portion of Buhrer's contract we are paying is coming off our cap. Do you think the Bunnies would have signed Farah if they had to pick up the tab for his $900K deal ? I suspect that the Buhrer / Uate swap hasn't given us a lot of cap relief.

Understand what your saying but jamie was probably only on about 250k .. Steve matai has busted his arse & broke his body for not much more. I feel sorry for blokes like them .. Mateo was on around 550k & could have solved our five/eighth problem this year but wasnt even given a chance to show what he could do & the same said with tom symonds he should have been in the 17 somewhere ..
Jamie was at the Auckland nines as one of our top 5 paid players he would have been on 5-600 000

When a player is contracted to a club and you release them, they invariably still get paid whatever the contract value was remaining on their deal....one way or another. You are assuming that Newcastle are paying full freight for Jamies contract with us for next year. How do you know we aren't paying some of his contract for the privilege of being able to move him on, much like the Knights are for Uate. Whatever portion of Buhrer's contract we are paying is coming off our cap. Do you think the Bunnies would have signed Farah if they had to pick up the tab for his $900K deal ? I suspect that the Buhrer / Uate swap hasn't given us a lot of cap relief.
I understand what you are saying but there has to be a reason for moving him on?

The guy is a class act so we aren't moving on because of behaviour...he is a good footballer so we aren't moving him on because he is letting the team down on the field...there has to be a reason. I suspect that Newcastle are paying close to full freight because (a) they are desperate to get rid of Uate who is on way too much for a winger and (b) they are desperate for an experienced tradesman like forward to mentor their younger players. Therefore Manly had a lot of leverage in the negotiation process.

I'm not defending the club but I just think there must be more to this story than the club being blind to talents of Buhrer when they are on full display to anyone with half a eye for a good footballer.

Also it is rarely the case a player is actually paid their contracted rate equally over the contract period (with backloading / front loading )

That is why I hate the speculation over how much cap space we have - no one has any real idea

There is no salary cap. The only restriction is how many 3rd party deals you can get.

Even snake after all he has given us manly fans his biggest payday is now (2016) & he is only on 600k & jamie lyon only 650k both those guys & stevie matai have played for way less to keep the team together .. You gotta laugh at some of the figures some of these up & coming players are reportedly getting .. Fkn monopoly money How about putting some runs on the board & earning your money with year after year performances .. Menzies toovey & the like

Thats not having a go at our two superstars jake & tom love them both .. Im talking across the board milford tedesco moylan all great players mitchell moses mbye etc

If Buhrer was in the top 5, which of these were on less?
Snake, Lyon, Matai, DCE or Taupau?
None should be and thats why I think he was moved on. Ill add I wish he wasnt. Remember during the fallout the story was that Watmough had the ****s Burher was signed over Gifty.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8