some positive thoughts about today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

chrisos

Reserve Grader
It goes without saying we did well from coming back 16 nil down and lyon was spectacular.but just afew positive points.
-our goal line defence (in the 2nd half) was great,there were that many times when wallace and lockyer would turn it inside for a charging forward but our defence would cut them down (i was waiting for them to keep trying that play then fool us with a dummy but suprisingly it never happened)
-nerves are to be expected for youngsters in their first game/s so i wasnt too hard on JWH for the dropped balls and think he shows promise,he looks fit and strong and when he hit the line in that one certain play he nearly got a try and then an offload for a try,so i think it was a pretty good performance besides the errors (would like to see more of him).
-all the forwards tried hard ie king rodney g stewart rose etc....
-matai-this guy looks down and out so many times but manages to come back and make crucial tackles ie when he was coming back into the line after a leg injury and made the tackle
-lyon-what can i say,brilliant.
We still have the nucleus of a great team and if orford can get his kicking game right we can continue to win these tight games.

The win will be a good boost to the players' confidence. The mental side seems very important in the game these days, and our fellows have been taking some hits to their self-belief. It should be a happy camp this week, and a bit more relaxed than in recent times.

Particularly to come back from 0-16, and with a lot of our kicks ineffective, showed heaps of guts. I thought Jared W-H looked a very impressive prospect, not quite there yet but he knows what NRL feels like now and I expect he wants more. He will improve as the season goes on, great for our forward depth.

As the second half wore on we seemed to develop momentum, the support play and understanding seemed to come back and the defensive desire was there in spades. There were still problems but they were overcome with ticker and heart.

Great second half. Forwards making inroads into the Broncos. Half back pairing still not firing though both Orford & Bailey looked lost with each other. Top raps to Rose, Kite & Rodney but stand outs today were Glenn Stewart & the strongest man in Oz Jamie Lyon because he's carrying the team. Sweating it out towards the end as I thought I'd have to go through Golden Point again (Castleford squeezed it in the Challenge Cup last night thanks to Brent Sherwins late try & GP drop goal).

Great to get the two points which we needed badly and as a result we have moved up one place on the ladder and with the two byes will have a total of 10 points.

The team showed guts and determination to come back from 16-nil down which will should be a good building block to work off in coming weeks.

It was good to see JWH  get a run in the top grade besides his few dropped balls i thought he played well it can also put the other forwards on notice by him being in the side which is a good thing.

I didn't think Orford had a great game but saying that he played his part in a winning side.

I am concerned though with the poor options our back  line makes when their trying to get a quick chain passing going it breaks down a lot of the time by a bad a pass or knock on etc.. this needs to be addressed asap if they can make some of those passes stick then we are going to trouble sides i think the side done a good job with against the Rhinos.

I think the rightside attack started to work better, over and above Lyon's awesome performance. bailey and g stewart starting to find each other with some time on their hands. I still think Lyon should be at 5/8 to get more time on the ball but good to see encouraging signs. 

Also good to see jwh play. A bit green but he looks potentially pretty awesome.

The rep games actually gave us a boost imho; our players went and played in quality lineups and remembered they could do good things. All but lyon had a win (and he didn't need that as he's been on fire all year), and came back a bit more fired up. we still look rusty and lacking in confidence but as the game went on things started to click better.

• A few highlights:
    • Lyon ... wow (Yes Dan - with that Gus Gould emphasis).
    • Bailey ... better with every game.
    • Overall the kicking was horrendous, hard to imagine much worse, yet we still won, and all three Lyon tries came from kicks (the two from Lyon and Gift showed great vision). Far better for kicks to be 10  metres too short than 10 metres too long.  If Ox is currently trying to stop the ball before the dead-ball line, it's time for him to start aiming to stop it before the tryline. And time for extra training drills on kicking under pressure on different grounds to cut out these pressure relieving too-long kicks - especially for Ox and Bailey. Positive: this can be fixed, and then ... look out.
    • On that performance JWH has the goods to play top-grade right now, and deserves to be.  Some attention needed on the loose carries, but he adds to the team. Rose and King also really stood up under their extra responsibilities. The way the forwards gelled as a team in the second half, Cuthbo and Perry might rightly be nervous about getting back. The sort of problems coaches love to have.
    • Matai's effort to get back into the defensive line when clearly not right saved the game.  That's what playing for your mates is all about.
    • Bani's not there yet (THAT missed tackle was very poor), but is starting to gain some confidence.  A couple of runs into the defense at pace was magic to see, and handled the considerable Falou threat a couple of times with credit.
    • Wolfman's effort to get out of the ingoal was superb.  Not many fullbacks can do that, yet it was little surprise he did. Robbo ran with similar commitment last year, but not yet this year - but he did everything needed yesterday without yet being a real attacking threat.  
    • Watmough started with his customary defensive lapse that got Brisbane off to a flying start, but after that did not stand out with defensive lapses/ dropped balls/stupid penalties in the rest of the game.  Without those sort of errors, his mere presence, his attacking threat, puts defenses in two minds.  eg His dummy run was crucial in the Bani try.
    After the 0-16 start, and the misfiring kicking, that comeback against all odds was as important as the gutsy efforts against Parra last year in turning that season around. Teammates sticking up for each other under adversity.

all received Rex.
jwh gets up to speed, and we have an imposing look about the pack rotation.

a higher percentage on some kicks in goal, or just in the field of play, and we wind up alot more pressure.

all things being equal, we can improve alot from this beginning.

Rex, I have a different view of the Matai effort. If he had've been 10 seconds later he could have cost us the game. To stay down as long as he did with leg cramp when your team is defending a small lead in the dying minutes was not an example of "playing for your mates". I was at the ground and was yelling at him to get up. He's lucky that Brisbane took the full set to twig to his absence in the defensive line.
I don't deny that it was a good effort to get there in the end but it reminded me of an example in 1996. Not sure of the game, but Cliffy was down on the ground after a bit of a head knock 15 metres out from our line. If we were attacking you wouldn't worry but not when you're defending the tryline. You can quite clearly hear Terry Hill in the effects mike screaming at him repeatedly to get up. Cliffy dragged himself up and got back in the line and defused the last tackle kick.
That's desparation to not let your mates down.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8