someone needs to speak to Brett Stewart a smh exclusive.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Off topic, but I'm off to the Broadbeach blues festival ...in the line-up Moondog!@;)
COOL!!!!
images.jpg

I posted it from twitter in the Brett Stewart Celebrations Thread
QUOTE="HappilyManly, post: 686905, member: 1609"]Brett Stewart Post Try Celebration on Monday was a "Feed the Chicken Dance" in tribute to the way @SteveMenzies11 moves on the dancefloor :D

Irrespective of what he was doing, its a non-event and does not warrant an investigation by some Rugger Bludger :mad:[/QUOTE]
Thanks HappilyManly that makes sense now. What a load of fuss from some people about an innocent bit of banter.

Let me tell you of my experience with Brett Stewart. My son has muscular dystrophy & is confined to a wheelchair. Manly kindly let us in to the dressing sheds after a win over the Storm in 2013. Brett took the time to talk to my son & I, not a quick hello but 5 -10 minutes while he was still in his gear & had ice on his hami. We also chatted with other players, but Brett was the most generous with his time. My son & I will remember that forever. Peter Fitznothing has no idea!

People are entitled to an opinion, but the first post in this thread is a disgrace.

As an example (i have many) Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart and Ashley Alberts ON THEIR DAY OFF took time out of their schedules years ago, to come down to a fan organized BBQ, play some touch footy, wrestle with the kids and have a laugh.

Brett will always recognise me, and approach ME proactively when i see him, not the other way around, if only to say Gday.

I've seen Brett countless times after games talking to groups of kids, but not just talking, i mean being animated and laughing.

He's a fan favorite. This is why a cry of "Brett Stewart" went up when he broke the try scoring record. In fact, i still have plenty of love and respect for his brother, Glenn.

Barbie, again, your entitled to your opinion, but id like to know one thing? Did you write that same post back on your Parramatta Eels forums that you came from?

Peter FitzHerbert has zero cred when it comes to Brett. He spoke too soon about Brett in 2009 and that article in the Good Weekend demonstrates that. Did he ever have to acknowledge his slander to Brett? Either way he was exposed as a fool and obviously still has an enormous chip on his shoulder. And as for mentioning the court case the way he did. Designed to hurt and make mud stick. Why mention it at all you fathead? He made a stupid tweet last week comparing ISIS as a death cult to Christ's crucifixion - good grief! FitzSimons is the classic example of the old proverb about keeping your mouth shut and appearing a fool instead of opening it and removing all doubt. Keep tweeting Fitz, and we will know that you are a fatuous middle-class windbag.

Oh and just on Brett. In 2011 my family were on holidays in Victoria. Manly were playing Souths and were behind when we were watching the delayed telecast. My wife's phone rang and it was Brett Stewart on the line asking to speak to my 13 y/o daughter who adores Brett. The game was then over and my daughter was dumbfounded and so happy to be speaking to her hero. My sister in law who was then connected to the club, had phoned us and put Brett on. I was just so pleased he would talk to my daughter. I think is a normal human being like anyone else. He doesn't deserve this sort of scrutiny.

If Peter wants scrutiny we can give it back to him. This old article is instructive:- http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...peter-fitzsimons/story-fni0cx12-1226652568481

There is a reason he wears that red bandanna...anyone care to guess why?
Yes, it hides the scar tissue.

Seriously though:

Stewart shouldn't have done it and the eunuch-like Fitzsimons (with a great voice for the silent screen and a great head for radio) obviously comes up well short in the self-awareness stakes. As alluded to elsewhere, he was convinced Stewart was guilty in 2009. I corresponded with him at the time and was left in no doubt that he thought Stewart guilty. Fitzsimons should just shut up.

Throw in his snide remark about 'sensible' Glenn, who is apparently ok now because he plays for Souths. Wonder what he thought of him at the time of the 2011 sideline fracas (vs Adam Blair)?

Last edited:
Yes he will be quite happy to extol sensible Glenn now, Terry. I doubt he would have done that after the 2011 Grand Final when Glenn quite properly in my view confronted David Gallop with what he thought he should do. Fitz would have been all over Glenn about how inappropriate that was. Fitz, like a number of hacks, is inconsistent and only assumes people have short memories. And he writes ordinary Fathers' Day/Christmas stocking filler books. The bandana is not worth mentioning, because he obviously wants it noticed. Damn, I have mentioned it!

As both a father and an avid reader I deplore the idea that any of fitzsimons' books should ever be bought for a dad. He writes books on people and topics that have already been done by real writers, researchers and historians eg his books on the Batavia, Les D'arcy and Antarctic exploration.

He repackages these stories in a laboured "larrikin" style that is at once long-winded and opaque. He's not even good at writing in a journalist's style. Compare him with Malcolm Knox, who is a good journo and writer of fiction. Many cricket writers such as Gideon Haigh make it obvious that Fitz is a pretender. Paul Kent is even a better journo than the bandanna, Kent can put out a 300 word article every day that has a beginning, a middle and an end.

Reading a Fitzsimons article is the equivalent of coming into some loudmouth's conversation half way through. How did it start? What point is this bloke trying to make? Oh he's just vying for our attention.

Last edited:
Another brett and glenn positive story here,my old man got some stuff signed by them when they were "off duty" from anything manly when my dad thanked them for their time they actually turned to him and said no thankyou !!! Thats class ....

Piss off fitzw@nker

Yes, he is the ultimate 'hail fellow, well met' sporting hack. I was offered one of the 'Storian's' (as he likes to refer to himself) books for free at Dymocks once, back in the late 90s. It was his bio of Les Darcy and I'm still to read it!

I love biographies of pioneer flyers and looked forward to his book on Charles Kingsford Smith. I shouldn't have bothered and gave up after a few chapters. His stock in trade is, as someone mentioned earlier, is writing a book about someone who already has a great book written about them. I don't deny that the bloke has some ability to knock some words together but he doesn't have much more than that. I would trust Gideon Haigh's opinion as well as Malcolm Knox (isn't he a Manly fan?) over FitzHerbert's any day.

I gave up reading his columns a year or two ago. I grew fed up with his constant belittling of sports people's comments usually spoken after a game or cricketers speaking of themselves in the third person. What a big man.

Off topic Real Deal, however (New Zealander) Ian Mackersey's bio of Kingsford-Smith is the one to read - if you haven't already done so. His book on the Wright Bros. is possibly even better.

If FitzSimons really cared about Stewart as he claims, he would've contacted the Manly club or Stewart's manager and aired his concerns privately rather than write and publish an article like this. This article just highlights how much of a selfish, pompous twat FitzSimons really is.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
One more troll vote and the post gets deleted as it deserves to be disgraceful.

Anyone who has met Brett has nothing but glowing remarks for the experience. He was genuinely touched by the response of the fans during what must have been one of the most gut wrenching and horrible experiences anyone could go through

big respect for him and continued character assassinations on him should be met with disdain and anger. The poor guy suffered enough

Thanks Terry, I have Mackersey's book. A great biography, none better - even if by a Kiwi. The fact it was so good made Pedro Pete's book so unnecessary - he covered absolutely no ground apart from some stuff about other flyers. even then he missed some important flyers in our history. Maybe his biography of Kim Beazley was okay - at least he knew the bloke. Whatever the case, he can't seem to leave Brett alone. Was his dance that bad? I was there and I didn't even notice it. How was it any different to Inglis and his goanna dance? Maybe I should read the thread about it...

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6