State Of Origin teams discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Chip said:
A bit left field but I would play Soward at hooker, can kick and cover 5/8 and play 80 aswell as GF experience.

Who is going to do the defensive work for him ? There is nowhere to hide in SOO.

Especially at hooker, Soward would get killed (quite possibly literally) by the QLD pack.

No way that Carney should get picked over Mullen. Skill should count for more than being a media darling.

[/quote]

DSM5 said:
Mullen is very ordinary.

If he is ordinary then it says little for Carney.

Mullen is a talented half that is restricted by poor coaching & the Kurt Gidley effect (e.g. Gidley must have a hand in everything that happens on the field). Mullen will shine under Bennett.

I would push for Campese over Mullen if Campese was fit, but thems the breaks.

So do we go with Mullen and Ennis or Farrah? If so we have already lost. The only way to beat Qld is to beat them at there strengh, Attack from everywhere and everytime we get the ball. Mullen won't do that and neither will Ennis or Farrah at 9. IMO

Exactly The Eagle. This part of the game needs a real clean up. Just who is eligible etc. Hard and fast rules. And then stick to them.

1. Hayne
2. Gordon
3. Idris
4. Lyon
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Tolman
11. G Stewart
12. Gallen
13. Lewis

14. Giddley
15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Watmough
17 D Hunt

NSW - Halves our trouble
by Daniel Boyd-Myers (Reader Submitted Article) on Wednesday 20 Apr 2011 17:40

Excuse the pun but NSW are in the "Blues" so to say when it comes to deciding on the halves combination we will be using for State of Origin- which for those unaware is only 5 weeks away on May 25th - 2011. Needless to say with the latest Carney drama and him being stood down along with a bag of injuries he has endured he won't and surely can't be selected to play for the Blues. So who do NSW go with? Before I give the answer on that lets go back in time.

Start of season 2011, it's Friday March 11th - 2011 the first ball is yet to even be kicked, the grass is cut, the lines are marked, the fans are ready, officials blow their whistle and away we go! If you asked almost anybody at that exact moment in time based on 2010 results and figures who are NSW's 5/8 and Halfback the answer would have been: Todd Carney & Mitchell Pearce. Don't get me wrong I'm sure there may of been varying opinions but the majority of people would have locked that in and more than likely the jersey makers already started preparing surnames on the back of the 6 & 7 for NSW.

However, since kick off this year the Roosters have been anything but the team they were last year. Lacking flair and charisma in their halves and their once dominant forward pack with Ryles, Hargraves, Masoe, Nuisalla are now more prone to giving away penalties instead of giving it to the opposition. Pearce's kicking game is full of flaws and in games they should have won against the 'Dogs and a very under strength Manly team they were put to the sword and crumbled all the while Carney seems to be in the headlines more than he is taking the field and destroying opposing teams. So who then you ask, if it isn't Pearce and Carney to lead and steer NSW around the park against what will be a QLD team filled with pretty much the Australian starting side then who is it? Let's take a look at just this weekend's teams and players that are eligible for NSW as well as their current form:

Sea Eagles: Daly Cherry Evans (7)
Panthers: Luke Walsh (7)
Wests Tigers: Tim Moltzen (7)
Broncos: Peter Wallace (7)
Sharks: Wade Graham (7) & Albert Kelly (6)
Dogs: Trent Hodkinson (7) & Kris Keating (6)
Rabbitohs: John Sutton (6)
Raiders: Josh McCrone (7) & Sam Williams (6) - also Matt Orford (7)
Knights: Jarrod Mullen (7) & Kurt Gidley (6)
Eels: Jeff Robson (7) & Daniel Mortimer (6)
Roosters: Mitchell Pearce (7) & Braith Anasta (6)
Dragons: Jamie Soward (6)
Warriors: James Maloney (7) & Brett Seymour (6)

* have excluded players from ENG/NZ/QLD/Retired Rep Players

A pretty sorry bunch of halves and five-eight's there, especially when you are comparing them to QLD potentials: Cronk, Thurston, Lockyer, Prince and even Smith can play in the halves as he has done previously for Melbourne. So let's go through them in further detail:

Sea Eagles: Daly Cherry Evans (7) - Although he has shown potential he has only played 6 rounds in the NRL so far. Yes he is doing a great job with Manly this season, and showed he has the ability to be cool, calm and collected as he slotted a left footed field goal (despite being right footed) against Cronulla but unfortunately he needs more time to mature and improve as a player. This is not to say he won't make an appearance in future sky blue teams but currently he is not steering Manly on his own and a lot of the credit goes to Kieran Foran and deservedly so who has stepped up another level this year. So Daly Cherry Evans is scratched.

Panthers: Luke Walsh (7) Where do you start? Defensive liability as shown by Widdop last Sunday, offers next to nothing in running the ball or taking the line on as a play maker and is currently the half back to a team which is running 14th having only beaten the two teams below them Parramatta and Canberra. Poor kicking game and passing game which is illustrated in the fact Michael Jennings is still yet to get a try this year as Walsh simply doesn't have the ability or give himself the time to get the ball into his hands. So Luke Walsh is scratched.

Wests Tigers: Tim Moltzen (7) - A talented full back who Sheens is using as a make shift half back for a very depleted Tigers outfit. I believe Moltzen is a good half back instead of being a full back however he has just come back from a serious injury, hasn't had a lot of game time as he has been coming off the bench for the majority of the season, and well lacks the current spark or maturity for Origin. Don't get me wrong he is reliable and hard working at club level but not an Origin player and would need to improve remarkably to ever play Origin this year, next year or any years to come in my opinion. So Tim Moltzen is scratched.

Broncos: Peter Wallace (7) - A solid half back but the statistics speak for themselves in regards to Wallace's ability to score points or set up points. Whilst yes the Broncos are on top of the table it is definitely not due to their attacking ability having scored only 107 points in 6 games, or 83 in 5 games. Simply put the Broncos are going well not due to their point scoring ability but instead their defensive ability and being able to keep teams from scoring. Wallace has not stood out for Brisbane instead he has somewhat taken a back seat and quietly done what is needed when Brisbane have the ball. Not only has this occurred this season Wallace never seems to step up and be a ball playing half back like you see in Cronk or Thurston or even Lockyer instead he gets the ball and throws either a cut out our runs a tails play well before the line this doesn't suffice in Origin. You need an attacking pair in the halves not someone to throw the ball out the back and hope for the centre/winger to do something amazing to beat their defender it is just not enough for a half back to do that. So Peter Wallace is scratched.

Sharks: Wade Graham (7) & Albert Kelly (6) - Both of these 20 year olds are too young and inexperienced. Wade Graham has potential as does Kelly however they are far too young and currently their kicking game is what I believe is what is costing the Sharks in the tight games they are losing. Their inability to turn teams around and complete a set well and keep the opponent in their end is hurting the Sharks. With improvements towards kicking games you never know in the future, but they need to stick together and turn the Sharks fortunes around before even thinking of NSW Origin. So Wade Graham & Albert Kelly scratched.

Bulldogs: Trent Hodkinson (7) & Kris Keating (6) - As much as it pains me to say it Canterbury have got the right combination at the moment in their halves. I'm not saying they are right for Origin but they are doing the job. I was impressed with Hodkinson against the Roosters earlier this year, and whilst he was quiet against the Dragons he really did shine for mine. With that said Kris Keating is not at a level for NSW yet, and needs to work more on how to handle pressure situations and really stamp his own impression into games. Unlike his counterpart Keating drops the ball at the wrong time, gives away the penalty or just throws the wrong pass on occasions. He wouldn't be the first or last to make mistakes however it seems whenever he does it just seems to be at a time when the Dogs have a real roll and his error stops their momentum at times, he will learn and get better no doubt under the constant eye of Kimmorley at the 'Dogs. I hear a lot of feedback from Dogs supporters saying Keating is a better impact player and should be used off the bench and Roberts should come back in I to a degree agree however give the kid time it is obvious he is working hard on his game and the pairing of him and Hodkinson had Canterbury up in first just 2 weeks ago. Back to Hodkinson, with a stellar debut season at Manly getting them to 8th last year with their playing roster is damn well nearly a miracle and he deserved alot of the credit. This year Hodkinson who I tipped to struggle with second year syndrome has come back just as good for a different club and is improving more and more each game. Is he the NSW halfback? Well you have to consider him to say the least he has good hands, knows when not to pass which is a sign of quality and is a rather important trait for a half back, also keep in consideration who will be the likely hooker for NSW his club hooker Michael Ennis they know each other's game, and it is no fluke they were leading the competition after 4 rounds. So Kris Keating is scratched, Trent Hodkinson is a contender.

Rabbitohs: John Sutton (6) - Sutton is not a 5/8, he is a Lock it is that simple. He has good ball playing skills much like Greg Bird or Ashley Harrison however Lang still perseveres with Sutton at 5/8 unlike Cartwright who now knows that you can't make a forward play 5/8 it is that easy. Sutton does the big things right, defence, run, pass however the little things like last tackle options, setting up play, talking to his players and giving them direction that is what a quality attacking player does and that's just not Sutton unfortunately. I have a feeling their new coach Maguire will be shuffling South's 6 & 7 up next year but that is irrelevant NSW can't pick a ball playing lock as their 5/8 it is that easy. So John Sutton is scratched.

Raiders: Josh McCrone (7) & Sam Williams (6) - also Matt Orford (7) - Two very young kids, one (McCrone) is struggling as he has all the attacking responsibilities and just can't seem to hold the team together without Campese. The other has played 2 NRL games- first against the Sharks where he was a standout and also last week against Cowboys where they did struggle early however did find their way late in the game - too late. Potential for the future and in my opinion it should be a Williams/Campese combination when Campese returns from injury. Orford has been awful and has proven time and time again to be the worst buy of the season, riddled with mistakes, poor kicking, old, tired, beaten, unfit and really not at an NRL level anymore is what I'm seeing from the man they call "Ox". Canberra are built around young talent it is a shame they didn't stick with that thought process and blood Williams into the NRL instead use an older player to keep him in the younger divisions. So Josh McCrone, Sam Williams & Matt Orford are scratched.

Knights: Jarrod Mullen (7) & Kurt Gidley (6) - Now this is where it gets tough. Where do you play Kurt Gidley? Seriously, is he a off the bench player running from hooker for NSW? Fullback? Five Eight? Where? Well personally off the bench I believe is where he will best serve NSW but there is one simple fact he is needed and warrants a spot in the NSW starting 17 that's a certainty. In the past I've sometimes questions what Gidley's worth is, but this season he has done the job week in week out. Unfortunately he isn't the greatest play maker and his teammate who will be talked about shortly is doing a lot of the play making for the Knights, the fact Gidley isn't the greatest attacking weapon is seen simply in the fact Uate has seen less ball this year where as when Beau Henry was in and playing the wingers/centres were hit and found on a regular basis. So Gidley is in the team, but not in the halves combination. Mullen, his critics (I being one of them) asked when was this kid going to turn into a man and show his true potential and lead the Knights. It appears after many seasons and combinations in the halves at Newcastle Mullen is getting it right and doing a great job at providing chances and structure to the Knights game. Defensively he is solid, and his right to left passing is amazing which he has shown countless times in the past being able to see the space and hook it out to the chest of his team mate to send him flying down the sideline. Kicking has improved dramatically he has nailed 40/20's already and now is a good attacking kicker instead of just putting boot to ball and hoping. I strongly believe Mullen is now ready for Origin unlike where he was thrown in the deep end in the past he deserves his spot now and can prove why he had such big wraps early in his career. What he is doing with Newcastle is great they are injury depleted, and only have a handful of players who have played over 100 games taking the field each week. So Kurt Gidley is scratched, Jarrod Mullen is a contender.

Eels: Jeff Robson (7) & Daniel Mortimer (6) - Parramatta have the worst for and against in the NRL as it currently stands. In total 84 points for doesn't bode well for this halves pairing, especially when you consider Hayne and Luke Burt has scored the majority of their points. Kearney unfortunately is trying to get these two to played Melbourne football but Mortimer doesn't seem to have the talent and Robson looks like he should be playing for Wentworthville more than an NRL team. They are defensively weak, and a team need only run at these two and it takes all of their energy out of them and renders them useless in attack. So Jeff Robson & Daniel Mortimer are scratched.

Roosters: Mitchell Pearce (7) & Braith Anasta (6) - Anasta, unlike last year he has been very poor early this season. He is a quality player and it hurts to say that but at the end of the day he does have class on the football field (at times). However, is he an Origin player the simple answer is no unfortunately his time has come and gone. He is similar to Hindmarsh who seems to be a stall ward for their clubs however too old and not enough in them to be Origin players any longer. Both had their chances, and now there are better players that are in their positions throughout the NRL. Mitchell Pearce I believe has bulked up far too much in the off season, which has affected his speed, foot work and timing when it comes to kicking and throwing the ball. He will need to get used to his new body shape and get the Roosters back on track over the next 4-5 weeks to be any chance of being in contention for NSW. Don't get me wrong last year he showed how good at half back he was however he is a long, long, long way of that sort of form from what he has shown this year. He has sat back and expected it to all work and roll on from last season however that is not the case. Late last year Roosters fought for every meter, inch, centimetre this year they expect things to just happen without the effort or the work load. Pearce needs to take more responsibility of this team and lead from the front and do the little things right that he seems to be struggling with at the moment. I am not prepared to write him off but by gosh he isn't far from that occurring. So Braith Anasta is scratched, Mitchell Pearce is still a contender.

Dragons: Jamie Soward (6) - He has got it all. I haven't bothered looking at statistics but in close games I don't think I've seen anyone else kick more field goals, under pressure, he slots it. He kicks well on last, runs the ball well, and most importantly he is no longer a speed hump in the defensive line. The Jamie Soward that takes the field now looks as if he knows every play he will run, at any time on the clock, at any position on the field this is the influence of the Master Coach that is Wayne Bennett. He has turned this fringe first grader for the Roosters all those years ago into a player who is now mentally and physically ready for the battle of mate against mate, state against state! I'm not going to make outlandish comments that the Dragons can't play without Soward, or can't win without him but it wouldn't be far off that being the case in certain scenarios. I almost think he has to be the first player in the NSW Blue team, and if he isn't QLD will be licking their lips. So Jamie Soward is a contender.

Warriors: James Maloney (7) & Brett Seymour (6) - Maloney has played well last year, and show patches this year however for mine he is the type of player Origin would chew up and spit back out. Not mature enough and not yet taking the Warriors team forward like what Stacey Jones used to, yes they are nearly impossible boots to fill however Maloney needs to show more quality than what is currently being shown. Seymour has been injured for the majority of the season and only returns this week, similar to Maloney he needs more time to be a contender. So James Maloney & Brett Seymour are scratched.

Others: Jamie Lyon, Greg Bird - These are makeshift halves, we tried Lyon last year and it is a failed theory. Hasler knows it and Lyon knows it, he is a centre and if selected he should play centre it is that simple. Same scenario with Greg Bird, yes he is a quality player undeniably however not a five eight and should he be selected it should be for lock, or 2nd row it is that easy. Again Cartwright knows it and for too long now NSW has had the issue of picking people out of positions and this needs to stop and hopefully Ricky Stuart puts an end to this theory of picking quality players yet putting them in different positions. So Jamie Lyon & Greg Bird are scratched.

So in summary the NSW halves possibilities look like this:

Halfbacks
- Trent Hodkinson
- Jarrod Mullen
- Mitchell Pearce

Five Eights
- Jamie Soward

In all honesty, I'm not sure who deserves the spot more in the half back race as it currently stands. But if it was to be picked on form right now Mullen narrowly pips Hodkinson, which means it would be a Mullen/Soward pairing steering NSW around the park. However I have a feeling Pearce will stay in contention simply on last year's merits and the fact the Coach seems to have a certain love affair with the Rooster. Also I have a feeling if the Roosters start winning games he will surely firm as a favourite. One thing is for certain in my mind though NSW need Jamie Soward to take the field as 5/8 otherwise it could be another long Origin series again.

http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=39153

Mullen & Soward would be a great combo IMO. I wouldn't be disappointed if they run out for us this year.

I do have the feeling that Pearce will be selected on his past merits though. Will probably be Pearce in 7 & either Mullen or Soward in 6. If that ends up being the case I'd rather see Soward get the spot. Mullen is a better player than Soward but he wouldn't have the same impact at 5/8.

NSW Origin team named Sunday
Glenn I reckon will get a bench spot, don't think any other Manly players will get in
& Gasnier pffttt

Anyone who has predicted the side here (as opposed to to picking what they think the side should be) without Ben Creaghe in the second row must be from another planet.

Like it or not Creaghe will be the first forward picked after Gallen.

bob dylan said:
Anyone who has predicted the side here (as opposed to to picking what they think the side should be) without Ben Creaghe in the second row must be from another planet.

Like it or not Creaghe will be the first forward picked after Gallen.

Unfortunately you're right.

Creagh is soft & in no way suited to rep footy but for some reason the selectors love him. Beau Scott is another useless twat that will most likely get a run.
If NSW were serious (which looking at the way things are going I don't believe they are) Choc, Gallen, Ennis & every other thug, cheap shot merchant & sledger would be in the forwards. Creagh could run the water & act as a tackling bag during the week if he wants to be of use.

Bob, I don't like it but you are right creagh will be in the side and despite Gifty's great form he will probably miss out.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4