Steve Matai, Kieran Foran want to join exodus from Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I feel sorry for Matai - I assume his contract negotiations are held up behind Foran's. If Foran is the mate he says he is he needs to decide asap so Matai knows where he stands.

Yes, mentioned this in another thread, will have massive money to buy forward talent and more than enough options to cover him at 5/8.

Maybe we should try to set up a few under contract props "for life". Aaron Woods is a lifelong Manly fan. Anyone else? It's not tampering if you're throwing these poor dogs a bone...

I thought this was just idle gossip but now I see that the tele has printed our logo on the back page with a fracture down the middle! In tabloid language there is no surer sign of a massive crisis.

Funnily enough I'm at the corso this morning and all seems ok

Holy mackerel. Speculation we might lose some players! Never saw that coming. Quick, we need 3 new threads to attack our players and administration.

Here is the article being discussed in the Matai thread.
New Sea Eagles boss Joe Kelly has offered Matai a two-year extension on the same money he now earns. It is nowhere near what other clubs are offering and is over a shorter term.
… er … if clubs are offering Matai 3 years if he leaves now, and Manly has him for one year and has offered two more ... how is that a shorter term? Some of these journos don't even bother to proof-read their own bs

What a refreshing article from Rothtool. He really has his finger on the pulse at our club lol

FFS this circus has to end!! I feel most for Joe Kelly because he has inherited all this ****.

Lets hope "THE PROCESS" ends soon cause this is just a huge slap in the face for our members.

A message to any disgruntled players who want out, the club was big before you were in the team and will be after you leave the team.

The sad thing for me is the loyalty and mate ship that bound this team has been destroyed by egos.

2015 will be a difficult season it seems but this club has always responded to a challenge and I say is give the kids a chance and we might all be very surprised by what we see.

It is speculation but we saw last year what it does to the teams morale so we hardly want to kick off a campaign under the same conditions, hence why it needs to get sorted.

There is probably fire to smoke and truth somewhere in between Booze's drunken rambling, so Joe needs to get stuck in and sort it out. He was bought in to steady the ship so get crackin' buddy...

For a bunch of tough footballers, geez they carry on like a bunch of pansies.

Are we led to believe that once their playing career is over, their yearly salary ( which is far, far higher than your average Australian), is not enough to provide for their family? Are they just going to sit back on the couch and do nothing after their playing days are over?

With their profile I'm positive they will find a job. Unlike a lot of people who struggle to find any job.

I understand that this is the way contract negotiations are nowadays and there will always be media beat ups around it, but spare me the 'need to look after my family' line and show some intelligence and start contemplating what you want to do after footy. It's not bloody hard given how much money they are all paid.

MANLY’S pre-season has been thrown into turmoil, with long-serving Kiwi centre Steve Matai seeking an immediate release from the final year of his contract at Brookvale.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Gold Coast Titans, the New Zealand Warriors and another club — believed to be Parramatta — are prepared to offer the crash-tackling 30-year-old more than $1 million over three years for what will be the final contract of his career.

They all want him immediately to play the 2015 season.

And in a further blow to the Sea Eagles, champion five-eighth Kieran Foran is on the verge of announcing he will be quitting the Sea Eagles at the end of the year.

Matai has been unhappy at Manly for several months.

Steve Matai has reportedly been unhappy at Manly for several months. Source: News Corp Australia

He is upset over the departure of decade-long teammates and close friends Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart at the end of last season.

He also believes Manly are paying him well below his market value.

New Sea Eagles boss Joe Kelly has offered Matai a two-year extension on the same money he now earns. It is nowhere near what other clubs are offering and is over a shorter term.

Kelly says he hopes to get this issue sorted as soon as possible.

“If he was to ask for an immediate release, that’s a discussion we’d have internally with our recruitment and retention committee,” Kelly said.

“I’m seeking to understand what’s going on with him moving forward.

“We’ve put an offer to him to extend but we obviously need to get some clarification.

“He’s one of a few we’d like to sort out sooner rather than later so we can focus on the upcoming season.’’

There is a thought among the players at Manly that the club should allow Matai to go because he has been such a loyal servant since 2005. In that time he has played 202 games and scored 80 tries.

By switching clubs it would allow him to set his family up for life.

Foran spoke late last year about supporting Matai’s departure, despite the fact they are extremely close.

“In Stevie’s situation I believe he has taken unders for a lot of years to stay at this club and if he can now set his family up and get a big money contract elsewhere I think the club should assess that,” Foran said.

Kieran Foran is being pursued by Parramatta, the Roosters and the Bulldogs. Source: News Corp Australia

Meanwhile, the Sea Eagles are desperately trying to convince halves Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans to sign new deals.

Foran is being chased by Parramatta, the Roosters and the Bulldogs and is unlikely to stay on the northern beaches.

Cherry Evans is more likely to remain, despite a huge offer from the Cronulla Sharks to play alongside his best mate Ben Barba.

The huge dollars needed to try to keep the halves at Brookvale is the very reason Kelly and coach Geoff Toovey can’t offer the same money rivals are offering Matai.

The Kiwi centre is refusing to comment on his plans because he is reluctant to upset teammates and fans in a public dispute so close to the start of the competition.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-season-2015-steve-matai-kieran-foran-want-to-join-exodus-from-manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frf3ou-1227190014193?sv=ddfbad8368d79f1cb0fe8c9bbb460ce9#itm_s=foxs&itm_t=home&itm_c=content-3&itm_o=20&itm_l=Fox Feed - Stars want out of Sea Eagles nest

1. There is nothing new in this 'story' from Slothfield. Just a rehash of what is well documented.
2. Isn't it great to support a team that has players who are the envy of other clubs? Imagine supporting the Faders, for example, who don't have any players worthy of being poached.

MANLY’S pre-season has been thrown into turmoil, with long-serving Kiwi centre Steve Matai seeking an immediate release from the final year of his contract at Brookvale.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Gold Coast Titans, the New Zealand Warriors and another club — believed to be Parramatta — are prepared to offer the crash-tackling 30-year-old more than $1 million over three years for what will be the final contract of his career.

They all want him immediately to play the 2015 season.

And in a further blow to the Sea Eagles, champion five-eighth Kieran Foran is on the verge of announcing he will be quitting the Sea Eagles at the end of the year.

Matai has been unhappy at Manly for several months.

Steve Matai has reportedly been unhappy at Manly for several months. Source: News Corp Australia

He is upset over the departure of decade-long teammates and close friends Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart at the end of last season.

He also believes Manly are paying him well below his market value.

Kelly says he hopes to get this issue sorted as soon as possible.

“If he was to ask for an immediate release, that’s a discussion we’d have internally with our recruitment and retention committee,” Kelly said.

“I’m seeking to understand what’s going on with him moving forward.

“We’ve put an offer to him to extend but we obviously need to get some clarification.

“He’s one of a few we’d like to sort out sooner rather than later so we can focus on the upcoming season.’’

There is a thought among the players at Manly that the club should allow Matai to go because he has been such a loyal servant since 2005. In that time he has played 202 games and scored 80 tries.

By switching clubs it would allow him to set his family up for life.

Foran spoke late last year about supporting Matai’s departure, despite the fact they are extremely close.

“In Stevie’s situation I believe he has taken unders for a lot of years to stay at this club and if he can now set his family up and get a big money contract elsewhere I think the club should assess that,” Foran said.

Kieran Foran is being pursued by Parramatta, the Roosters and the Bulldogs. Source: News Corp Australia

Meanwhile, the Sea Eagles are desperately trying to convince halves Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans to sign new deals.

Foran is being chased by Parramatta, the Roosters and the Bulldogs and is unlikely to stay on the northern beaches.

Cherry Evans is more likely to remain, despite a huge offer from the Cronulla Sharks to play alongside his best mate Ben Barba.

The huge dollars needed to try to keep the halves at Brookvale is the very reason Kelly and coach Geoff Toovey can’t offer the same money rivals are offering Matai.

The Kiwi centre is refusing to comment on his plans because he is reluctant to upset teammates and fans in a public dispute so close to the start of the competition.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-season-2015-steve-matai-kieran-foran-want-to-join-exodus-from-manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frf3ou-1227190014193?sv=ddfbad8368d79f1cb0fe8c9bbb460ce9#itm_s=foxs&itm_t=home&itm_c=content-3&itm_o=20&itm_l=Fox Feed - Stars want out of Sea Eagles nest
The issue with Matai has become too distracting and its even getting Foran off side. The guy wants to leave to pick up a fortune elsewhere. If he was 25 I would do everything to keep him, but he isnt and Manly are struggling to hold onto DCE and Foran and will also have to face a battle to hold onto Gutherson if they cant offer something reasonable. Matai has been a great servant to the club like Watmough, Glen Stewart, Menzies, Kite, King etc etc. But comes a time when you have to use business sense and let them go to greener pastures or lose the young up and comers who will be the Club's future. I'm not happy to lose Matai. But so his sake and the sake of the clubs future, I think its the most sensible move to let him go and use the money to hold onto DCE, Foran and Gutherson.

I, for one, am selling all my Manly gear and jumping onto the Sharkies bandwagon. It's obvious that sans their drug issues, money issues, coach and talent issues that they're specials for the 2015 premiership ;)

And because it's written in the Telegrapgh, by a known Manly hater, you all believe it why??????

Again it's Rothfield with his usual crap, no quotes from the players involved. I do worry though that the more stories he mentions about us, the closer he is to 1 actually being true. In saying that here's my view -
1.Matai - As much as I love the guy, if he really wants to leave then let him go immediately and thank him for his commitment to our great club. Don't leave on bad terms, he doesn't deserve that. He has put his heart & soul into our jersey for more than 10 years, let him take the big $$$ at another club who will be busting their salary cap to get him.
2.Foran - I don't know about this one. I really thought this kid would have been our next captain and an Eagle for life. Unfortunately I think the club has to give him a deadline for his decision (start of February) Yes, we might lose him...but at least we have time to plan for the future and to start looking at replacing him.

I think the issue gets down to letting a player go that is still under contract and has some currency. I'm not sure what Steve is on but appears about $300,000 a year. So we have offered him $900,000 for 3 years. If we get generous and allow him to break his contract he can "set himself up for life". I do not buy that.

He is 30 years old and has injury concerns. The retention personnel should be examined for offering 3 year contract. Who here honestly believes we would/will get $900,000 worth out of Steve over the next 3 years.

Lets wish him well (I would ..wholeheartedly) and make the good business decision and let him good.

Skivvys frustrated as he's not getting any response from the club .... Sound familiar !

Because he isn't ( and shouldn't be) the priority!!

This is his manager " talking it up" to get a better deal signed quickly, but the whole market is " stalled" whilst 16 clubs work out if they can make a play for our halves.

That's all this is about !!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4