Steve Matai, Kieran Foran want to join exodus from Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What Bradza said was pretty much it. Quietly confident in retaining both so unfortunately not much more info from Toovs in regards to our halves. But he said that both had asked to play in the 9's so i take that they are looking forward to the new season starting which is positive regardless of what else is being written about them

You come out and say you are quietly confident of re-signing them and you don't, then you'll look pretty stupid and out of touch with the squad...

From Brent Read about Foran:

"never done until he signs on the dotted line. Hearing manly's initial offer not that impressive so looks to be edging to exit"

lol, pretty sure an offer to Foz would be fairly impressive! Try again read.

From Brent Read about Foran:

"never done until he signs on the dotted line. Hearing manly's initial offer not that impressive so looks to be edging to exit"
It's obvious that story came straight from Foz's manager he is just laying the ground work so he can blame the club when he leaves. Strong rumours next Wednesday he will announce his decision.

I thought that Penn came out late last year and said that Foran and DCE were both being offered $1.1m a year for 3 years to stay

What happened to this offer which I would not call insignificant?

Manly chairman Scott Penn has opened negotiations with Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran’s management for million dollar deals in a desperate bid to re-sign the star halves before Christmas.

Off contact at the end of 2015, the Test halves are set to be the most in demand players in the game and Penn wants to lock them away before rivals can get their claws into the Sea Eagles stars.

Penn has begun negotiations with the managers of Cherry-Evans and Foran with offers of $1.1 million a season each.

Last edited:
I thought that Penn came out late last year and said that Foran and DCE were both being offered $1.2m a year for 3 years to stay - $6,6m on total

I'd imagine if the offer was 1.2 million a year for 3 years, it'd be DCE and Foz who would be searching for a pen frantically.

That's good coin.

I thought that Penn came out late last year and said that Foran and DCE were both being offered $1.1m a year for 3 years to stay

Manly chairman Scott Penn has opened negotiations with Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran’s management for million dollar deals in a desperate bid to re-sign the star halves before Christmas.

Off contact at the end of 2015, the Test halves are set to be the most in demand players in the game and Penn wants to lock them away before rivals can get their claws into the Sea Eagles stars.

Penn has begun negotiations with the managers of Cherry-Evans and Foran with offers of $1.1 million a season each.

More bullsht paper talk. We haven't tabled offers until now.

Not bull**** paper talk bull**** Penn talk here is the story http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...112379604?nk=5b5414ba34533caff0425080564dc629 he is quoted and is actually quoted (unlike the usual crap) so Penn has been loose with the truth if he has only now tabled offers.

Penn was saying anything to put all the fans at ease when he took over as the one owner.
They are not as rich as they make out. Yes they have money but are not on the B R W rich list.
That covers the top 200 in Australia , no Penn on it.
I was also told that Penn has told Joe Kelly to go and ask the N R L for a 3 mill loan to help run the club. Maybe they didnt get it and Penn hasnt got the money to go after Foz and Cherry.
This would put some truth to Brent Reads story.

Penn was saying anything to put all the fans at ease when he took over as the one owner.
They are not as rich as they make out. Yes they have money but are not on the B R W rich list.
I was also told that Penn has told Joe Kelly to go and ask the N R L for a 3 mill loan to help run the club. Maybe they didnt get it and Penn hasnt got the money to go after Foz and Cherry.

oh so because he hasn't made $250m (the floor price) he must be poor......

Perhaps he should have opened a bakery. More likely he is seeking a loan as a line of credit rather than have to tip directly out of his own pocket, say like a business loan, rather than using personal cash or wealth to do it.....obviously he must be on the verge of bankruptcy

oh so because he hasn't made $250m (the floor price) he must be poor......

Perhaps he should have opened a bakery. More likely he is seeking a loan as a line of credit rather than have to tip directly out of his own pocket, say like a business loan, rather than using personal cash or wealth to do it.....obviously he must be on the verge of bankruptcy

I never said that Dan. It is worth while to note that Tinkler was on the list in 2012 with one Bill and with in 2 years the club (knights) was back with the N R L.
As I have always said ,I think having more than one owner and a share of the cost of running a football club was better. Sorry i cant continue this i have to start the ovens and put the bread on.

Last edited:
FYI Scott is listed at 87 on the BRW Young Rich List with 25M so his old man should be worth a tad more. The Penn family owns the club so combined wealth...

I'd also be cautious using the BRW Rich List as a out and out guide as last years was helped by peak ore prices and this years will see guys like Twiggy Forrest get smashed (well smashed down to only a couple of billion...)

I don't think they ever tried to make out they were super rich, they are wealthy enough to buy a football team, which in reality cost them around 7-8 million, but not wealthy enough to pour in around the 12-15 million it takes to run a football team, that's why sponsorship and membership is critical.
Anyway,the team is still governed by the salary cap, plus whatever third party agreements can be arranged, and these agreements have to be at arm's length from club owners and sponsors.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
@Peter C I'm not sure there is room for logic and clear thinking here, but you are spot on

FYI Scott is listed at 87 on the BRW Young Rich List with 25M so his old man should be worth a tad more. The Penn family owns the club so combined wealth...

I'd also be cautious using the BRW Rich List as a out and out guide as last years was helped by peak ore prices and this years will see guys like Twiggy Forrest get smashed (well smashed down to only a couple of billion...)

@Loobs the problem is that whilst you are 100% factually correct and speaking complete sense however the problem is you are not aligning with the agenda of other parties and now obsolete factions.

Now for everyone it's about time that everyone stopped finger pointing and worrying about all that other BS. This is the ownership we have, this is the structure we have and for better or worse this is the way things are.

On the topic of Matai id be sad to see him go I still remember his first game and try I was sitting directly where he picked up the ball on the fence from between the Warriors player legs( may not have been warriors). His hard attitude and amazing defense has made watching this team amazing.

However eventually all players will move on, all teams will change. Matai leaving means Hiku could move to centre where he is suited and give gutherson and others the opportunity to play in the NRL side.

Foz would be a tragic loss he is one of my favourite players but there are positives too.

The way I look at it is that whilst horrible to see anyone leave it's beyond my control and the world keeps turning.

The media turns this into a horrible circus and these guys deserve more respect than that our team does and we do.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8