Post-Game Discussion Storm v Manly [Finals 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Storm
Vs
Sea Eagles
40 Sunshine Coast Stadium
10 Sep 2021 19:50
80th minute

Match Stats

I think we all learned tonight that Turbo is not the messiah, in some ways it's a good thing because it means that someone other than Turbo will have to become involved in our attack and that's a good thing because we've allowed ourselves to become a one man band
No - tonight, he was just a naughty boy.

I think we all learned tonight that Turbo is not the messiah, in some ways it's a good thing because it means that someone other than Turbo will have to become involved in our attack and that's a good thing because we've allowed ourselves to become a one man band
Certainly can't win a match single handed if everyone else is playing like crap.

Storm were the better team. Their defence made us look like boys playing against men. We have a lot of growing up to do before we can run with the wolves. Tommy vs rubbish defences has glossed over a lot of our issues. Games like this show us the reality of where we are at and will make us stronger in the long run.

Storm were the better team. Their defence made us look like boys playing against men. We have a lot of growing up to do before we can run with the wolves. Tommy vs rubbish defences has glossed over a lot of our issues. Games like this show us the reality of where we are at and will make us stronger in the long run.
I am hopeful that fainu does return next season and add a different dimension to our attack other than just relying on Tom

What we need to do is just keep rewatching Saab's try. Rinse and repeat until laughing stops and we are happy once more.

It's the little things lol

If you get beaten in the ruck, you can’t beat Melbourne. They always have 3 in the tackle and able to get up before the play the ball. We are the opposite. As good a defender Jake T is, he can’t get up quick enough and resorts to holding. Melbourne are strong and quick and always play with desperation.
Munster is able to run 3m before he kicks the ball.
Our attack is basically dce, Tom and the wingers. Parker cant make a line break for ****. Morgan is neither strong or quick. Schuster is overweight. Taupau’s best years are behind him.
Tom, Saab, Ole, Dce are probably our only players that would make the Storm side.
Bring Suli in, his deficiency in defence is made up by his ability to break the line.

The mad scientist at it again. Des knew we couldn't beat the storm so he saved turbo from sustaining any injuries and rested Croker this match. He also figured if the boys won they'd probably get so cocky they'll lose the next game and no GF. This way he keeps them playing sudden death footy all the way to the GF and turbo clicking back into gear.
Happy days feathered friends 😁👍

Storm played like, they’d most of them had multiple finals games experience. We played like, most of our team we’re playing in their first final series.
At 16-0 after 15 minutes, the game was all but over. Then when we weren’t the first to score in the 2nd half, that was it.
They’ll hopefully be better for the run next week but even if they somehow win, I can’t see them getting past Penrith. They look spent after a long year. Anyway, at least they’re still in it.

We did not win any facet of the game tonight.

There are no excuses. We just got beaten by a better team especially in the forwards.
We did not play tough. We turned over possession. No team will get within bull's roar of Melbourne doing that.

The only thing that will cheer me up now is if the Worms get lapped.

They definitely suffocated us. Our errors didn't help. Completely changed when Morgan dropped it and they scored.We were moving the ball well and after that went into our shell.

Some soft defence as well, have been making those tackles during the year

Missed sipley off the bench IMO. Also losing the hooker has a big impact

We have looked good during the season when we get qick play the balls and play off that. Did not win the ruck at all tonight. Melbourne forwards really won that battle.

Can definitely improve and get a win next week. Just have to cut out the errors and lift the intensity! Not miss those easy tackles and have the inside defense cover. Play as a team and play a smarter game of footy.
The overused line of "just cut out the errors" or "we need 50/50 possession" always is over simplifying the issues, or is lacking in genuine answers. When a coach or player responds in such a manner it is asking for more trouble.

You play to your strengths and up the intensity, focusing on error counts and possession to be in the grind rarely works----what tends to improve those stats is performing well in the areas you are good at and off the back of that other areas of your game improve.

Manly looked terrible in defence and attack at the start of the season, Tom returns and gives Manly attacking potency which flowed into improved go forward, more composed defence and able to up the intensity when required.

When Manly struggle to find points everything else falls flat.

The word that is spinning around my head after watching that performance is naivety.

We started the game on. the wrong foot and never recovered. Totally schooled by a team that does the basics to perfection, takes advantage of every opportunity and then smothers you out of the game.

When we lost to them a month ago I thought that it was more to do with our errors than their brilliance. Watching tonight, they went up a few notches and we were much worse this time.

We got schooled in a big way. It was so disappointing to see our team disrespect the ball, be so in disciplined without the ball, giving up penalties late in the count at least 5 times and not being aware of things like having the ball stolen, allowing a 40/20 on the last tackle when Saab was out of position.

We really were not at the races at all tonight and it showed in everything we did.

It is the reality check that we needed. We have not been the same team since we walloped the whingers a month ago and tonight we got caught short time and time again.

All is not lost, It is really important now that the team learns from this defeat and understands that we need an intensity that the Drizzle have. We need to use our strengths and tonight we hardly laid a glove on them.

They totally nullified our attack and we did not earn the right to attack them as we kept turning the ball over. The stats dont like 60/40 possession and 90/70 in completions sums it up, no line breaks and we barely got into their 20.

Next week our spine must lift. I think tonight the loss of Croker so late in the week totally unsettled us and we looked at sea and did not cope with adversity.

We have another chance and we need to make it count. Tonight showed that we are a long way off matching the top 2 and we have a lot of learning to do.

Melbourne, gosh I detest everything about them but you must say they are the finished article and they were near their best tonight.

Bounce back time next week boys!!

From Post #1

FULL TIME SCORE

Storm: 40
Manly: 12

241508276_10159335540675993_7394409479071980161_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

Team Victory Song:

c620536e7a3a92d0858c6791b2d697cf.gif

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews: TBA

Match Report:

Match Highlights:

Extended Match Highlights:

Full Match Replay Link:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics & Video Clips: TBA

Press Print & Video Articles:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all went down hill pretty quickly, the moment Harper dropped the ball from a reverse pass from Cherry. If he had held onto the ball who knows. I know it was early into the game, but from that point on we didn't see the ball after that for a long period. And Melb being Melb made us pay the ultimate price for this error in their 1st half carve up. 2nd half was just putting in a effort into keeping the score under 40.

You are spot on when you say these finals games are a reality check

You dont will premierships when you are good enough to beat the bottom 4 teams

You win premierships when you are good enough to beat the top 4 teams

We have not beaten a top 4 team all year

We did well to get this far but to get further we need addition of quality players that are capable of taking us further .

When they shut down Tom we have plenty of triers but we dont seem to have have line breakers and try scorers to win us the big matches

The forwards tonight were shown up as well .

I am not going to say we did well this year because my Manly benchmark for doing well is winning the grand final and maintaining the standard that Manly is the greatest club of all

Look, as disappointing as tonight was we are in a fairly good position to be a threat in the seasons to come. We are not realistically a contender this year, though capable of pulling off an upset if things fall our way. This final series should be about experience (especially for our younger guys) and learning as we move forward.

That said, there is certainly no guarantee we will be contenders in the next few years as we still have a lot of learning to do. Des himself needs to grow along with the team as I think he is brilliant at left field stuff but relies on that too much at times without establishing good foundations (I often recall comments about how players like Gifty use to keep some of Des' left field stuff in check and that was an important aspect of that era's success).

Disappointments:
Harper... a disaster
Lawton...not a hooker
Shuster...has offered nothing for a long time
Turbo... maybe reading his media.
Cherry...a shocker

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10