Post-Game Discussion Storm v Manly [Finals 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Storm
Vs
Sea Eagles
40 Sunshine Coast Stadium
10 Sep 2021 19:50
80th minute

Match Stats

The Storm really did their homework on our team and got result after result in the game.

In big games attention to detail is so important.

If you look at the first kick off, the ball is allowed to bounce and we nearly got trapped in goal. There is no doubt that they saw the Bulldogs score a try against us a couple of weeks ago when we did not deal with a kick off.

We did not win any of the match turning moments.

Their first try comes off the back of an error when we tried to expand the play spilt pass and they score. We allow Munster to do a one on one steal when we all know its his forte and they score back to back tries when our goal line defense is just not up to it.

We allow a goal line drop out to us roll into touch again cause know one deals with the ball. We allow a 40/20 against us on the last tackle as our winger is up and out of position.

The 6 tries conceded all come down our right edge defensively. They Storm attacked Harper with and without the ball all night and he got badly exposes as did DCE and Oka. Big learning curve for our right side last night.

I knew Melbourne would be strong, they are experienced and ruthless at exposing other teams weaknesses. I was so disappointed that we submitted to them and contributed so much to our own downfall with dumb errors, late tackle penalties and its fair to say we were not at the races last night at any stage.

Oh well, how do we bounce back? This is still an opportunity. We must learn from this defeat fast.

Hopefully next week the addition of Croker at 9 will give us some more stability. We need our halves to step up and game manage and show a measure of patience with and without the ball.

You have to earn the right to attack and we at no stage did that last night.

The drizzle were methodical. They do the basics so well, solid kick chase, completions. take advantage of errors and when required have players who can score spectacular tries.

All is not lost. This team has shown it can bounce back and that painful experience is needed to show the level that we need to reach.

They are bigger, tougher, harder, stronger and more skillful than us, unfortunately.

They also have the best coach in the game.
And the referees let them do what they like. They were off side frequently going early and no Ruck infringement penalties when the lay all over us. Back to the wrestle with the blessing of the ref but yet I kept hearing him yell at us to let go.

Can anyone explain the lack of minutes played by the props.

Taupau 36 minutes v Brommich 40 minutes
Aloiai 37 minutes v Welch 36 minutes
Paseka 32 minutes v Nelson 40 minutes

Welch was smashed and injured by a massive Aloiai hit very early onI have no doubt he plays 40 plus if not for that.

That 30% extra from Nelson and Brommich's 10% is an extra interchange.

Every week, I feel we lose so much control of the ruck when Marty leaves the field. It puts more pressure on Jake, who is an absolute machine. Last night, despite the damage done when he left the field but I felt we was still in the game.

I know everyone has said how well we have covered for AFB but in the big games I dont think its the case. Had AFB played regular season matches vs Storm and Panthers we win.

Inexperience shone through last night, we’ll be better next week. Harsh lesson.

In our own 20 running it out, the storm were all over us. This was a combination of the storm being borderline offside and the wrong dummy half approach from Karl. Our runners were too deep and wide, and they were catching the ball almost the same time as being tackled. Lawton should have pulled the runners closer to the ruck and passed flatter. Too wide too early has been common to all our bad games.

I completely agree, barring Lawton. I thought he did well and looked the part. I know it's easy to think it was the loss of Croker that threw us out tonight and blame Lawton, but I actually thought Lawton was reasonably good there to night.
I have a feeling that croker leads the defensive line, running forward in defence and the others follow in a straight line with him. Our defensive line seemed slower than usual last night.

I keep thinking of that article early in the week where it was mentioned the different teams in the finals and how they were acting in the resort.
When it mentioned manly, it was all chilled layed back around the pool and vaping?

Now I know not to pay a great deal of attention to these type of articles

Rather than inexperience, it may have been to laxed and over confidence bordering arrogance, that cost us that first 30 minutes.
Particularly the likes of Shu, Harps and Big O, who are very much confident cocky players.

Anyway another crack next week.

“Just as sweet, the 40-metre-plus drop-punt he nailed to bag two more points for the road in the closing seconds.”

Breathtaking ignorance from NRL.com’s Dan Walsh in the official match report.

A DROP PUNT is an Aussie rules kick, not a drop kick you drop kick!

It all went down hill pretty quickly, the moment Harper dropped the ball from a reverse pass from Cherry. If he had held onto the ball who knows. I know it was early into the game, but from that point on we didn't see the ball after that for a long period. And Melb being Melb made us pay the ultimate price for this error in their 1st half carve up. 2nd half was just putting in a effort into keeping the score under 40.
That was the moment that it all came unstuck. I think really it was just inexperience and panic footy after that. DCE was, unfortunately, the biggest proponent of it and we squandered a ton of ball off the back of his terrible decision making.

I still think we can beat Melbourne with 50% possession, the hard part is playing well enough to get that fair share.

I keep thinking of that article early in the week where it was mentioned the different teams in the finals and how they were acting in the resort.
When it mentioned manly, it was all chilled layed back around the pool and vaping?

Now I know not to pay a great deal of attention to these type of articles

Rather than inexperience, it may have been to laxed and over confidence bordering arrogance, that cost us that first 30 minutes.
Particularly the likes of Shu, Harps and Big O, who are very much confident cocky players.

Yeah whoever was vaping needs to shape the hell up. There's no way that crap can be good for your aerobic fitness.

I think you're right. All the hype from last week's game went to their heads. It wasn't an ideal game to win the week before playing the Storm in a finals game.

Now they've had a reality check and hopefully it's snapped them out of their over confidence. It took a week for them to 'come down' and will need to (hopefully) only take a week for them to 'come up' again.

Rabs needs to be put out to pasture. Couldn't even get Garricks name right let alone Olakauatus. Then starts asking Slater about origin

Have some ****ing respect for the finals game you're commentating

We should've rested half the team last week. Given the reserves a shot at the Cows to push their case. We looked flat and fatigued. I just hope that the media lay into our forwards this week and write them off as powderpuff because they need some sort of bomb under them after that lame effort.

Can anyone explain the lack of minutes played by the props.

Taupau 36 minutes v Brommich 40 minutes
Aloiai 37 minutes v Welch 36 minutes
Paseka 32 minutes v Nelson 40 minutes

Welch was smashed and injured by a massive Aloiai hit very early onI have no doubt he plays 40 plus if not for that.

That 30% extra from Nelson and Brommich's 10% is an extra interchange.

Every week, I feel we lose so much control of the ruck when Marty leaves the field. It puts more pressure on Jake, who is an absolute machine. Last night, despite the damage done when he left the field but I felt we was still in the game.

I know everyone has said how well we have covered for AFB but in the big games I dont think its the case. Had AFB played regular season matches vs Storm and Panthers we win.
We have such good middle depth but Des always seems to be messing up the rotation and it's so frustrating.

How can you build pressure and score points when every time you spread the ball you drop it!

You kick long and have them pinned and give them away penalties to get them out of their own end.

No forward punched any holes and won the ruck, cannot play attacking footy when we have 3 players lying all over us in the ruck.
You are not going to fix dropped balls by merely telling the players "respect possession"

Manly need points, lacking points impacts our entire game from attack, defence and intensity.

I like seeing Manly play with a little aggression and purpose, when we go through the motions playing set for set we struggle to compete, also our nervous tension in our attacking sets for the first 20mins of games comes across like a lack of self belief until we score a try through the hands.

A little self belief came right after the kick try to Saab but we need that belief and up tempo intensity from the outset otherwise we get into a grind and lose impact.

Unfortunately we didn't learn from when we played them in round 21:

Stats from the NRL website:

Rd 21 / Final's game
Possession:
42% / 39%
Completions: 67% / 72%
Penalties Conceded: 7 / 9

Des would have no doubt talked about this all week. Its one thing to talk about it, it is another thing to actually carry it out. Look out Storm when we get another chance!

And the referees let them do what they like. They were off side frequently going early and no Ruck infringement penalties when the lay all over us. Back to the wrestle with the blessing of the ref but yet I kept hearing him yell at us to let go.
I agree but its not the reason we lost they were off side by a long way many times and we were slow to go forward, but .... they owned us ... and we let them ... its ok saying our backs need to take hold of the game but when our forwards aren't bending the line and fighting for a quick play the ball its not that easy

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8