Tactics To Beat Souths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

driftout

Reserve Grader
A short passing game around the ruck with lots of angled runners (especially Watmough and Symonds) to keep the big Souths forwards off balance. Tuquiri to be tested at every opportunity as he has a propensity to come in off his wing unnecessarily and leak tries. He's also very slow to turn , so a grubber in behind him is always a good option.

Interestingly Souths were as flat as a pancake when we beat them at Gosford in round 2 (after they played a very physical match against the Roosters in round 1 ).

Even if Snake plays I'd have Gutherson on the bench. He is a gun and will eventually play Origin .The back 3 are all carrying injuries and Toovey rarely uses all of the benchies anyway. If we lose any of the back 3 early on we are stuffed as the only options are Symonds or Horo to the wing. Years ago it was essential to have a backline utility on the bench as insurance. There's no point having 4 forwards on the bench just for the sake of it if some 1.are ineffectual or 2. not even used.

Kick early and continually turn their big forwards around.

It does mean more ball for inglis but a good kick chase is essential.

We don't have a big pack so have to use our mobility to our advantage.

I have the utmost faith in our coaching staff to come up with a good game plan.

Start well. 43 years of ruined dreams weigh very heavily on the souths players and fans. If we can go with them in the opening 20mins their minds could well turn to the game last year when they choked and we gave them a good rodgering.

But then how to do this?

1. Ball security. Absolutely key, has been sadly lacking in recent weeks. But limit these soft turnover.
2. Kicking needs to be spot on. Inglis needs to have his space limited, and you certainly can't kick balls down his throat.
3. Agree with those inside plays around the ruck. Pity Buhrer is out because his speed and footwork around there is great. To me this is where Killer and Snake need to be involved. Get them running back around the big men at the markers. Work over those big forwards and give them plenty to chase.
4. Meet them with Aggression. The Burgess boys are bullies, and like most bullies when on top they and then their team mates feed off it (suddenly McQueen and even Keary get in on the act). Give it back and they don't like it. King, Starling and Choc have to lead this.
5. Attack attack attack. No point being ultra conservative. I'm not saying throw stupid passes in our own 20, but when there is an opportunity back yourselves. We have to score 20 plus points. We have the best backline in the comp, Friday is the night to prove it.
6. Finally I believe with a smaller pack we need to use our bench better. To me this means getting JSL, Hasson, Lui, King (I'm assuming Lawrence and Starling start) to come on in bursts. Get them to come on and just go hard as they can for 10-15mins and provide lifts in intensity. Then the backrow of Choc, TRed and Horo have to play pretty much 80mins. And just tackle tackle tackle.
7. Finally finally, the backs needs to take a leaf out of Matais book. With a smaller forward pack we need a bollocking Steve Matai run almost every set from a back. Taufau and Hiku need to provide this. But Killer and Foz need to add a few of these runs as well.

I think we need at least score 20 points to win this game.

grubber to their wings and fullback when kicking.

Cut out these errors with the ball, been our biggest weakness of late.

Be patient in attack, build pressure that is what finals footy is all about.

Complete sets
Don't miss tackles
Play for territory
Don't make errors
Dont give away penalties

Score more points than Souths

6/71 said:
Obligatory post about scoring more points.

Tom Harley (who I enjoy listening to), said early in the Swan's game - "Freo have started positively. Good to see because everybody knows to beat the Swans, really, you've got to outscore them."

Push it up, Manly.
cheers

The first step is to get on bended knee and hope Hasson gets 3 months for his spear tackle....in all my years of watching the mighty eagles I have never witnessed anything more strange than the way he was used in Townsville while Lui warmed the bench.....there can be no doubt at all now about who posesses the goat pictures!

Ingliss is busted. A nice legal hit around his hip will slow him down and a nice rib tickler to Burgearse will have them panicking. Also look for the inside pass from Keary to Burgearse inside the 10.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8