Tactics To Beat Souths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With all the crap going on, souths will put 30 on us. We are lambs to the slaughter this week.

Nah, the same thing was said about Manly in week 2 of last year's semi.

Manly dug deep, Killer screamed at his calf muscles after being 'shot' and Manly won :angel:

Our home ground is classed as a shytehole - so crap is all around us all the time anyway :p

I still believe that Players want to win Premierships - they have ownership of it. :)

I recall Choc saying 'Players win Premierships, not Coaches' when Des left and the Media were saying he was the super coach etc.

Unfortunately you have been watching different games to me in the last few weeks.I hope u are right.

COMMANDER said:
Complete sets
Don't miss tackles
Play for territory
Don't make errors
Dont give away penalties

Score more points than Souths

and don't let Souths offload the ball in attempted tackles.

We have put up so many smokescreens this week the Bunnies might not even be able to find their way to the ground. I tip Manly to win on Friday.

We have 17 players, let's use the reserves more evenly. It was one of the points stated earlier: there's no point using a player for just 10 minutes.

Souths might be flat from the Roosters game last week so it might be deja vu. I don't want to see Manly's forwards getting belted going 19 metres in 5 tackles coming off their line followed by DCE getting a kick away under extreme pressure (unless of course it's a 40/20 lol). Quick darts from dummy half (Matai/Hiku/Hodges/Lyon/Taufua) with quick play the balls are a better option. When a forward does take it up , we need players in motion around him to put doubt in the defence's mind, mixing it up with short passes and angled runners. One out hit ups should be minimized.

Keary is certainly their mojo man . He has good acceleration and is a more than useful ball player. His defence is also very good. Souths wouldn't have beaten the Bulldogs recently without him. Hopefully Lyon and others ignore his sledging and hopefully Matai doesn't try to exact revenge when he sees George Burgess carting the ball up. The last thing we need is a player suspended.

Manly blunted the Souths go-forward well in round 2 . Ballin and Buhrer made a combined total of just under 100 tackles that day, most of them low , stopping momentum quickly . The challenge for the pack is to absorb that defensive workload without fatiguing too quickly. I'm not sure whether the pack without these 2 key defenders has the technique to do so .

Our 'star' players will all have to Stand Up, and be stars and do those things that shock the Bunnies into choking.
Snake must play. DCE must be inspirational, behind a forward pack playing well above themselves. The refs will have to feel pity for us.

I Dare not look at the betting odds right now.

Shut up stop talking to the media- media ban enforced from tomorrow.

A long hard training week and good hard look at themselves.

I would also suggest to get BK, Beaver, Jason King ( all club legends ) together in one room in front of the boys and let them be reminded of what a privilege/ honour it is to wear the badge that is the Manly Sea Eagles Jersey.

I just took a pill and sat through some of the Nth Qld replay:

There were a few clear observations:

Hasson and Horo are plodders but I'd keep Horo on the bench because he is big and can tackle. Manly can carry his ordinary hit ups.

Gutherson, as good a runner as he is, is not a fullback to NRL standard yet. Way out of position at multiple points that led to tries. Desperately need B Stewart on Friday.

Tafua....what the hell to do with the guy. He looks depressed, not just mopey now. I think forwards are his only hope. Bench him and bring him on to do damage in the middle.

Cheyse Blair needs to come in (despite his horrible game against Parramatta). Tell him to stop trying to take intercepts and mark his opposite number.

Lui needs to start - he rips in and has the right attitude. JSL is part of Manly's future he is awesome.

driftout said:
Souths might be flat from the Roosters game last week so it might be deja vu. I don't want to see Manly's forwards getting belted going 19 metres in 5 tackles coming off their line followed by DCE getting a kick away under extreme pressure (unless of course it's a 40/20 lol). Quick darts from dummy half (Matai/Hiku/Hodges/Lyon/Taufua) with quick play the balls are a better option. When a forward does take it up , we need players in motion around him to put doubt in the defence's mind, mixing it up with short passes and angled runners. One out hit ups should be minimized.

Keary is certainly their mojo man . He has good acceleration and is a more than useful ball player. His defence is also very good. Souths wouldn't have beaten the Bulldogs recently without him. Hopefully Lyon and others ignore his sledging and hopefully Matai doesn't try to exact revenge when he sees George Burgess carting the ball up. The last thing we need is a player suspended.

Manly blunted the Souths go-forward well in round 2 . Ballin and Buhrer made a combined total of just under 100 tackles that day, most of them low , stopping momentum quickly . The challenge for the pack is to absorb that defensive workload without fatiguing too quickly. I'm not sure whether the pack without these 2 key defenders has the technique to do so .

Souths look like they have a bit of a plan B this year compared with last year's version. They have a bit more flair to use if they can't get the better of the grind.They've been auditioning for finals football the last few weeks by playing the match essentially in a corridor 10 metres either side of the ruck. Issac Luke looks a bit overweight and can be found out under pressure as he was in last years elimination match. Tuquiri's kick returns are poor and he's very vulnerable to grubbers into the space behind him. Teo is a big loss for them as he runs some dangerous lines and his defence is good. McQueen is not nearly as effective in Teo's role.

Angled runners off short passes around the ruck is the key to getting the big Souths forwards off balance. Watmough does this as well as anyone in the NRL. The more players in motion around the ruck the better to put the defence in two minds .

driftout said:
Even if Snake plays I'd have Gutherson on the bench. He is a gun and will eventually play Origin .The back 3 are all carrying injuries and Toovey rarely uses all of the benchies anyway. If we lose any of the back 3 early on we are stuffed as the only options are Symonds or Horo to the wing. Years ago it was essential to have a backline utility on the bench as insurance. There's no point having 4 forwards on the bench just for the sake of it if some 1.are ineffectual or 2. not even used.

At least we finally had a utility back on the bench but despite Joey saying it was cover for Snake , it was to cover for Hiku moving to hooker if Hodges needed a spell .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6