Taufua [Merged (not yet a mega) Thread]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Horses for courses . I would drop Tafua !

delz said:
You don't have to be Einstein to figure out that South's will be bombing Tafua at every opportunity after he's inept display in this area against the Cowboys.

Therefore I would pick Blair on one wing and Hiku on the other both are so much better under the high ball and would go along way to nullify Reynolds and co kicks on the night.

Thoughts ?

Agree about Tafua, but to be honest, Hiku's defence is really bad. He is constantly out of position and costs us tries every week. The Cowboys went from one wing to the other and back again because they knew it was our weakness - run it on Hiku's side and bomb it on Tafua's side.

Hiku is excellent under the high ball and a top finisher, but is a serious weakness in defence, where I think Gutherson is better defensively and equal in attack and under the high ball. He is also a very good goal kicker which could come in handy.

I know you don't want to be making too many changes coming into the finals; but I think it is clear that we are not going to win the comp unless we address our weaknesses quickly - the main two being completion rates and defence on the edges (primarily in our 20m zone). Just my opinion.

It's possible that Gutho will be filling in at fullback for what's left of the year, so that leaves Hiku on one wing and either Blair or Tafua on the other . Tooves not being one to make changes will probably stick with Jorge.

Daveagle said:
It's possible that Gutho will be filling in at fullback for what's left of the year, so that leaves Hiku on one wing and either Blair or Tafua on the other . Tooves not being one to make changes will probably stick with Jorge.

Yeah just like he kept Oldfield around for too long

Toovey cut Oldfield in 2012. His first year as coach.

These sought of threads should not be allowed,you guys are spilling the beans to souths on our weaknesses.

I'd be happy with Gutherson and Blair as our wingers, but I think it would be a bit harsh to drop Hiku.

I don't rate Gutherson. Not yet anyway. If he were to be our permanent fullback next year I would see that as a weakness in our side.

The best work he has done for us has been on the wing.

I agree about Blair though. He was a breath of fresh air when he first played for us. I thought to myself - hallelujah! A player on the wing with some height about him for the high balls.

He adds an extra dimension to our attack.

Tom Trebojevic = next fullback. Not that he will be ready next year either. But I don't subscribe to the mass exodus theory so who gives a $hit.

delz said:
Therefore I would pick Blair on one wing and Hiku on the other both are so much better under the high ball and would go along way to nullify Reynolds and co kicks on the night.

Thoughts ?

I think you've made a very good point. Pity Tooves didn't see it, though we can only hope the team will change on Friday night and Blair will replace Jorge.

Keep the Rabbids away from our half and the Reynolds kicks are nullified :idea:

Our forwards have to win this, relying on Wingers to defend is a mug's game.

Round 2, Gosford Match should be replayed for Manly - they were supreme :angel:

I was thinking yesterday that Taufua might be better off at centre, rather than on the wing. Long-term of course, when Lyon and Matai are out or gone. He'd be a Konrad Hurrel type of centre, and it brings him in closer to help out the forwards coming off our line.

Gutherson, Hiku and Blair as the back three in two years' time, with Satini and Taufua as the centres? Then we can off-load whoever turns out to be the weakest link in the back three and get Turbo junior in at FB.

Totally agree with the OP

Which leads me to ask, what can you really do with Jorge...

No tank for the forwards, and a kick defence liability on the wing...
But, running the ball back when he is "interested" ... best in the game.

So where does that leave poor (if 200k pa is poor) Jorge in the longer term.

Oh, and I doubt in the longer term he can ever "learn" to take bombs.
The amount of times he misses them by "feet" rather than inches suggests to me he just doesn't have that coordination.

Sounds harshish I know, and I do like Jorge, but I wonder is his spot in the team viable in the long term.

See my previous message. He's a centre all the way...if he wants to stick around for a few years until he gets a crack.

It's a tough one. Taufua is rocks or diamonds a bit like Vatuvai from The Warriors. Unfortunately, he was rocks in some very important games like last years GF.

When Taufua takes his first run up, and it is average to slow in energy, he plays the ball slow, and looks as though he's watching the ground while playing, I know straight away it's going to be an invisible to poor game for him.

My concern is as follows: When he is on, he can be a game changer, but that is happening much less these days, so what do we do?

I see no harm in playing Blair. The kids big, he busts his balls every time he gets the ball, and he plays the ball as fast as possible. Also, he is miles ahead under the high ball than Taufua, who is weak and listless in that area.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Cheyse Blair
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Peta Hiku
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

and we are sweet. I feel bad for Jorge, but his passion just doesn't seem to be there. From his comments about not being interested in watching the games, to his shoulder injury - maybe a break to spark his enthusiasm is required?

I don't know if it's passion or just injury but Blair is better IMO.

Yep Blair impressed me earlier this year. Miles ahead of Jorge in attack, defense and enthusiasm!

Something that really annoys me is the amount of hit-ups Hiku does, does not make any metres whatsoever

Frank said:
I don't rate Gutherson. Not yet anyway. If he were to be our permanent fullback next year I would see that as a weakness in our side.

The best work he has done for us has been on the wing.

I agree about Blair though. He was a breath of fresh air when he first played for us. I thought to myself - hallelujah! A player on the wing with some height about him for the high balls.

He adds an extra dimension to our attack.

Don't rate Gutherson?? I gaurentee that's going to come back and bite you. He's an absolute star in the making.

I've watched Gutho come up through the ranks, plus Captaining most SOO Representative games, since he was 16.

Gutho is magic !

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4