Taufua or Whare?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How do they judge 'errors'? I think it is just handling mistakes.
If you don't contest a bomb and your opposition scores then it's probably not counted as an error. If you make a poor defensive read and the opposition winger scores you'll also be spared.
I'm sure you'll understand what I'm getting at. Being able to catch attacking kicks, and diffuse opposition bombs, is now a vital ability for a winger to have.

Stevo said:
. . . There is a reason Taufua was re signed and Whare was not.

Alternatively – there might be a reason Taufua was selected initially and Whare was not!!

Could it be Toovey knew all along that Whare was likely to be elsewhere next year, and that is why Jorge was thrown in early . . . ?

(Sorry, I have no idea, just suffering an acute case of devil's advocate lately)

The Who said:
How do they judge 'errors'? I think it is just handling mistakes.
If you don't contest a bomb and your opposition scores then it's probably not counted as an error. If you make a poor defensive read and the opposition winger scores you'll also be spared.
I'm sure you'll understand what I'm getting at. Being able to catch attacking kicks, and diffuse opposition bombs, is now a vital ability for a winger to have.

An ability JT doesn't appear to have. If he has it, he better show it in the very next match. If he doesn't show it then, well . . f__ing Toyota Cup bound as soon as wolfie is back. I've lost patience with him - we dont' have time for 'learning on the job if we're going back2back.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Stevo said:
Half of our team "learned on the job"!
but didn't concede try after try. He's just too expensive on the scoreboard.

Where are you getting try after try from? Maybe one or two tries over the entire season, but find me another winger in the NRL that doesn't at least have a couple scored on him through opposition bombs?

There has been an improvement in his decision making the last few games under the high ball anyway and surely his initial problems can be attributed to his nerves.

Masked Eagle said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:
Stevo said:
Half of our team "learned on the job"!
but didn't concede try after try. He's just too expensive on the scoreboard.

Where are you getting try after try from? Maybe one or two tries over the entire season, but find me another winger in the NRL that doesn't at least have a couple scored on him through opposition bombs?

There has been an improvement in his decision making the last few games under the high ball anyway and surely his initial problems can be attributed to his nerves.
Yes, his nerves could be the problem. But the more he gets it wrong, the less confidence he'll have - so, . . . every JT appearance this year. It is so obvious to opposition coaches and bombers, he is justifiably targeted. Match against the Storm was the worst.

The thing I find amusing in the whole debate, is that Taufua gets hammered for 1-2 sub par games he has had this season

Yet Whare, had an absolute shocker against Penrith costing us a couple of tries at vital times, never gets a mention for that match

There were two against the Broncos alone. My problem with him is that he doesn't even contest the kicks. He waits and tries to tackle the opposition winger with the ball - and that doesn't work.
With him and Matai together we are extremely vulnerable to the high kick. We are much safer on the other side with Lyon/Whare/Wolf

Does anyone know if Jack Busby can play on the wing?
The kid can play, but with Snake and G-Son (new nickname - you seen it first here) standing in his way will make it hard for him to crack first grade

simon_eagle said:
Elvis Presley said:
Its his 1st season. Compare that with Whare's first season and you can see Tafua has more talent.

Really? Whare scored a hat-trick on début against the Cowboys?

Good point, I was aware of that.
But a few weeks ago against the saints won 20-8 by Manly, Oldfield score a hat trick too and with due respect to Oldfield, it was largely more a result of the slick displays by our backline which contributed to those tries.
But it was still a great effort for a winger to read the play and to position himself in the right position.
whare is pretty good, don't get me wrong but I reckon Taufua is more talented.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4