The 18th team ( maybe 2025)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The game should continue to shore up interest in RL strongholds, rather than into markets like Perth or Adelaide. The latter in particular is even further behind Melbourne in its understanding that ‘rugby’ refers to rugby union, not league.

Nor is it a market with much ‘wriggle room’ left:

Adelaide is already home to two AFL franchises;
an A-league team; plus
basketball, et al.

Adelaide is now Australasia’s (Auckland overtook Adelaide decades ago) sixth largest city (down from third about 60 years ago), with historically the slowest population growth rate (although there has been a strong uptick recently) of the mid-sized mainland capitals.

If you must push into AFL territory, there is more upside going back into Perth, a city with a bigger population than all of South Australia - but only after you have secured the flanks in NSW, Queensland and possibly the South Island.
Imagine if Perth was playing in the NRL next season, the WA Premier doesn't need any prompting to shut down his border. It only has to be less than 5 cases, then back to a hard border again.

Yeh been interesting to see McGowan the Novocastrian destroy WA. Like the Czhook, all he need to say is "bad people over East" and his votes soar.

As posted by Global Eagle in the General Thread..

Cairns is not the answer to the 18th team. Nowhere in Queensland is.

Either Perth, 2nd Melbourne team or South Island NZ would be my picks. In fact, those should be the next 3 to eventually take the comp to 20 teams.

I'd love to see the Perth Bears with 2 games at North Sydney oval (one of which is their away game v us)
Bears need to be back in out of Perth. Love the idea of games at bear Park.
Qld has enough teams now, lukewarm on Png bid and Nz just not sure of support out of Wellington or Christchurch (TV deal would be there).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8