The Career of Steve Menzies (1993-2013)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It reinforced the importance of the short pass, with Menzies hitting the gap.
These days it seems players only think of the long cut-out pass which often forces the receiver to be shunted over the sideline.

Steve Menzies was basically the prototype for today's wide running back rowers, though he was one of those rare cases where the prototype didn't actually need tweaking to get it right. He could tackle like Igor and run with the pace of a centre. I guess you could say Crusher Cleal was the same, but as good a ball runner as Crusher was....I'd take Beaver's defense over his any day.

Before Beaver, second rowers often played like extra front rowers. Battering rams in attack and tireless tacklers in defence.

Beaver was also a promoters dream. A brilliant player who wasn't the usual brainless thug on the field like so many rugby league forwards before him were seen as, and he was squeaky clean off it. No booze induced nights that got him on the back page, no scandals. A straight up citizen and family man who let his football talent make his headlines.

Those of us who have witnessed the beaver's career from start to finish are truly blessed.
Absolute Legend.
I remember his skinny, lilly white legs in the U23s :D

Blessed to have watched his total career in Oz :clap:

The chant of 'Beaver, Beaver' in the 72nd minute of the 2008 GF doesn't come out on any replay.

But to have been there on the 30m line and watch Izzy push Beaver into the perfect spot at receiver of Robbo's pass - priceless :inlove:

#SuckItScumos

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
I remember his skinny, lilly white legs in the U23s :D

Blessed to have watched his total career in Oz :clap:

The chant of 'Beaver, Beaver' in the 72nd minute of the 2008 GF doesn't come out on any replay.

But to have been there on the 30m line and watch Izzy push Beaver into the perfect spot at receiver of Robbo's pass - priceless :inlove:

#SuckItScumos
We need a love button for posts like this

Love the Beaver . Manly Legend . We have been spoilt with some awesome players here at Manly

Is my all time favourite player! What a legend of the game that completely changed the way it was played. One on the best defenders and attacking weapons going around. I miss watching the head gear running out to Brookie oval.

It reinforced the importance of the short pass, with Menzies hitting the gap.
These days it seems players only think of the long cut-out pass which often forces the receiver to be shunted over the sideline.

The best short pass I saw last year was to Sirro who strode over without BBQ boy even landing a glove on him.

The other thing about those long cutout passes is the intercepts it offers. I thought Chez learned to be careful of those fairly well early on in his career.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8