The curse of 3 props

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Every game this year that we have started with 3 props on the bench .. we have lost.

Why have 3 props on the bench if you are not going to play a "power" game and dominate through the middle? May as well go back to 2 utilities or Kelepi, energy players.

Having the game pattern and structure to have wingers and centres take 30% to 40% of our hit-ups all season has been successful many times this year ... but if that is our "style" ... I ask again, why have 3 big boppers on the bench?

And just an impression ... our forwards seem to be less dominate when we have 5 props playing.

I know AFB is popular ... but he has to start getting in opponents faces ... rumbling 10m is not enough from a guy who should be hunting and killing his own dinner.

Someone help me ... I don't understand.

PS ( I made up the 1st paragraph, but would not be surprised if it is true)

Every game this year that we have started with 3 props on the bench .. we have lost.

Why have 3 props on the bench if you are not going to play a "power" game and dominate through the middle? May as well go back to 2 utilities or Kelepi, energy players.

Having the game pattern and structure to have wingers and centres take 30% to 40% of our hit-ups all season has been successful many times this year ... but if that is our "style" ... I ask again, why have 3 big boppers on the bench?

And just an impression ... our forwards seem to be less dominate when we have 5 props playing.

I know AFB is popular ... but he has to start getting in opponents faces ... rumbling 10m is not enough from a guy who should be hunting and killing his own dinner.

Someone help me ... I don't understand.

PS ( I made up the 1st paragraph, but would not be surprised if it is true)
More than anything this team is missing a backrow tackling machines. In the past we have had the likes of Beaver, Watmough and others. The great 2008 team had backrowers that were all in that category in Stewart, Watmough & Hall with Beaver on the bench. In that game and for most of the season we ran with 4 props and Le Strange off the bench.

This current team has Jake as the tackling machine and no other backrower comes close. AFB & the other props are perfectly capable props but the backrow is just not defensively up to scratch. Perhaps that is why he carried an extra prop on the bench.

More than anything this team is missing a backrow tackling machines. In the past we have had the likes of Beaver, Watmough and others. The great 2008 team had backrowers that were all in that category in Stewart, Watmough & Hall with Beaver on the bench. In that game and for most of the season we ran with 4 props and Le Strange off the bench.

This current team has Jake as the tackling machine and no other backrower comes close. AFB & the other props are perfectly capable props but the backrow is just not defensively up to scratch. Perhaps that is why he carried an extra prop on the bench.

Our 2nd rowers have a position in the defensive line and they hold it. They can only tackle what comes down their edge, they can't run off and make tackles on the opposite wing. Having said that if Baz had Glen, Watmough and Beaver in the back row I dare say he would be playing a different structure.

Anyway, back to the point ... why have 3 props on the bench if you are not going to adjust your game pattern and play a power game up the middle and dominate physically.

Probably again influenced by this notion or preference for the back rowers to play for the full eighty and the fact that Siro is still not available. Can or would be still a worthwhile and effective tactic if all of the props have been able to fire and rip in collectively in the time that they are on the paddock and play their expected and aggressive role . Unfortunately this has been a spasmodic outcome to date with this 5 prop selection arrangement and may have to be addressed even against a big Bulldog "s pack for instance.

Probably again influenced by this notion or preference for the back rowers to play for the full eighty and the fact that Siro is still not available. Can or would be still a worthwhile and effective tactic if all of the props have been able to fire and rip in collectively in the time that they are on the paddock and play their expected and aggressive role . Unfortunately this has been a spasmodic outcome to date with this 5 prop selection arrangement and may have to be addressed even against a big Bulldog "s pack for instance.

Agree, we put the bigboi's on the bench but still play the same plan. I can't recall 2 props taking consecutive hit ups. If there is no intention to power through the middle, what's the point, if we are going to attack the edges go back to 2 utilities or a live-wire.

The 3 props on the bench might end when Sirro returns to the side. Then we'll probably see one of Lane or Perrett on the bench with the other at Blacktown.

I'll confess I'm a fan of Lane and with his size he could be a real beast in the NRL. The problem is he is lazy, I mean even Frank runs harder with the ball and for some reason he doesn't use his size to his advantage in defence. Too many times (and it happened a lot yesterday) opposition players simply bounce off him and keep going because he tends to arm grab.

We need a quality back rower that can make 40 tackles a game and get us 100 metres, we have never really replaced Choc and it is where the team really needs to strengthen.

Sironen may fix that problem when he returns (at least to a degree). He is a big body and was defending really well prior to his injury. We desperately need him back, lane is just too lazy and I don't want Brown anywhere near first grade. We just need to involve him a little more in attack which is what he was building towards before he got that injury

Most of our forwards are running forwards Jake is the tackling forward of our pack
Lawrence runs hard with the blinkers on
Taupau Runs hard with offloads but seems to arm grab a lot in his tackles
Perrett runs and tries to offload any chance he can get
Lussick & AFB probably a little in between a bit of a liability back can be damaging runners
The backrowers Winterstein ,Lane and Sironen are hole runners
My point is what forwards do we have that we bring on and or start that get up and tackle hard when needed
When is the last time we have seen our pack get down and dirty and give it to the opposing pack
Could this be the reason we cant close out a game ?

Most of our forwards are running forwards Jake is the tackling forward of our pack
Lawrence runs hard with the blinkers on
Taupau Runs hard with offloads but seems to arm grab a lot in his tackles
Perrett runs and tries to offload any chance he can get
Lussick & AFB probably a little in between a bit of a liability back can be damaging runners
The backrowers Winterstein ,Lane and Sironen are hole runners
My point is what forwards do we have that we bring on and or start that get up and tackle hard when needed
When is the last time we have seen our pack get down and dirty and give it to the opposing pack
Could this be the reason we cant close out a game ?
Exactly right. We don't have forwards who can change it up between a fast free flowing offloading 2nd phase game to a tough knock em down drag em out grind. Turning that 2nd half into a grind would've worn down the Tigpies but our forwards weren't capable. We need a hardhead prop and backrower Tradesmen who'll do the dirty work.

I also noted we had most of our big boppers on for the last 10 minutes, too. The only reason Lawrence went off was because of injury. Not exactly sure of our tactics with that one, would have thought that mobility was key with 10 to go late in the game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8