The Dogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Barba had a period of 6 weeks in 2011 where he was average under the high ball

He was perfectly fine last year, and his defence was good as well, made plenty of try savers.

Garts said:
I have heard that Barba is vulnerable under the high ball but he went ok last year and yesterday I do not recall him dropping one.

Barba's wingers cover for him well and often drop back and infield to take some of the bombs coming his way.
He's not great under the high ball but neither is Billy Slater and he seems to do all right regardless.
Dogs form overall is hard to gauge, as is ours, really. The terrible starts we made against the Tits and the Tigs need to be addressed, and we need to be more efficient in the attacking zone. I'd love it if DCE and Fozzy took notes on Adam Reynold's long kicking game, too.
Last year I felt we tried a little too hard against the Dogs, maybe because the players wanted to show Des a thing or two. We were a little too tense and panicky to properly compete. Hope we do better this time.

If we put in a good performance and get beaten so be it. If we play like crap and the doggies beat us ill be annoyed.
Dogs will be up for this one.

the mauler said:
Don't know about the Dogs draw getting any easier. Next 3 weeks - Manly, Rorters and Sharks. In alot of trouble IMO. By the time they get all their players back on deck it could be too late for a top 4 spot. What a shame.

If you play 3 of the top 5 ranked sides at the start of the year in the first month you will have an easier run later by definition. It is a long 26 rounds, they have ample time. Look at the raiders run last year.

And Bozo,im not sure we will start favourites against them away from home. Maybe losing Inu will make us slight favourites but only just.Their game against the Bunnies was best of the year or close and don't underestimate the loss of Ennis with no backup,they were winning the tug of war until he went off IMO.I certainly wouldn't be backing us at odds on away from home.

susan said:
the mauler said:
Don't know about the Dogs draw getting any easier. Next 3 weeks - Manly, Rorters and Sharks. In alot of trouble IMO. By the time they get all their players back on deck it could be too late for a top 4 spot. What a shame.

If you play 3 of the top 5 ranked sides at the start of the year in the first month you will have an easier run later by definition. It is a long 26 rounds, they have ample time. Look at the raiders run last year.

And Bozo,im not sure we will start favourites against them away from home. Maybe losing Inu will make us slight favourites but only just.Their game against the Bunnies was best of the year or close and don't underestimate the loss of Ennis with no backup,they were winning the tug of war until he went off IMO.I certainly wouldn't be backing us at odds on away from home.
We beat them away from home last year and and i believe defensively we have what it takes to shut them out of the game . I am very confident for a win even without Gift playing. On form we are the better side and on form we will be favourites . It is a long 26 rounds and there are no easy games for mine . They are only easy when a team has steel defense like ours and keeps sides scoreless . We have done this twice this year . Not too many teams contain Benji Marshall not even national teams. thats how good our defense is . The dogs only win was in a close game against the eels , whoopee lol . We are going to give it to the dogs doggy style !!!

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
The thing that really struck me about yesterday's game is that the Bulldogs players really don't look like a cohesive team. They look like they don't much like each other. Manly players are always supporting each other, slapping each other on the back for the good stuff and giving a gentle reassuring pat when a mistake's made. Souths were doing the same yesterday. The Bulldogs look like a team of individuals. It was particularly striking with Barba. Not much warmth and support for him. I don't think they're a bonded team.

Just a reminder.The dogs were only 5 wins from first 10 games last year and that was without injury concerns.They ran first I believe at the end of 26 rounds. Brisbane won their first 5 I think and folded.

1 from 4 is neither here no there in the scheme of things,particularly given their depleted roster which will be almost fixed with Kasiano one or 2 weeks away.

The so called "footie experts" were quick to downplay our chances because they reckoned we lacked depth....granted we may struggle if we lose a quality back, but what team won't struggle if they lose a key player....from 1 to 17 I think we have one of the most balanced teams in the comp and I'm more than happy with our off season purchases (considering our budget constraints).

Every team is going to stumble along the way (us included)....but I'm starting to think this years team actually has more potential than last years.

I have to agree with Susan, the Dogs may have lost their last two games but it was against quality opposition. We would have lost to a half decent team on Thursday night, the ball control was plain embarrassing. The Dogs will improve when they get Graham and Kasiano back as their forward do alot of the ball playing.

I think the Rabbits and Storm are a class above the dogs though. Im not sure where we sit till we play some of the better teams, next week will be our first big test.

They may make the 8 but I think they'll miss the 4.

Tolman and Eastwood do most of the work. Pritchard and T-Rex are just lazy and go missing. They really need Kasiano and Hannibal back. From what I see, their depth is pretty bad.

And now without Inu, the right side becomes pretty toothless.

I'm not that impressed. The Bunnies on the other hand. Different story.

As for the Dogs
Round 1 V Cows - they were beaten by a team that has problems playing away from home.
Round 2 V Eels - they should have beaten by 50 but really didnt look good.
Round 3 V Storm - they never in it.
Round 4 V Bunny's - They played a team that was backing up after 5 days and playing in extreme heat.

I think our depth is way better than last year personally. Losing Pony Williams and picking up Lawrence, Horo, Fa'aoso et al is a master stroke in my eyes: we've got a bunch of blokes in that really have a go versus a player that turned up 10% of the time last year.

We haven't even missed Gift yet: last year without Gifty we really struggled, this year he'll add some attacking sparkle to what I perceive to be an already formidable pack.

And defensively there are 2 teams (Tits/Sharks) with a better record (4pts/2pts respectively) but we've got a game in hand over them both and we are 3rd best attack wise too with the Storm and $ouffs 22pts and 9pts ahead of us.

I think we are doing pretty well thus far :)

Any dogs loss is a good loss to be enjoyed.

I do not feel the need to talk them up in any way, shape, or form.

Well the way I look at it...

They got touched up by the cowboys, just held on to win against the worst team in the comp, got touched up by the storm (refs helped them get over the line plus they scored a couple of late tries which made the game look closer than it actually was), and got touched up easily by souths (again a late try to make the score look closer than it actually was).

On the other hand, we disposed of brisbane, touched up newcastle, threw away 2 points against the titans, and managed to smash one of the best attacking teams in the comp while having one of our worst games ever.

Manly will give them a 1/5 record.

Rambo1987 said:
As for the Dogs
Round 1 V Cows - they were beaten by a team that has problems playing away from home.
Round 2 V Eels - they should have beaten by 50 but really didnt look good.
Round 3 V Storm - they never in it.
Round 4 V Bunny's - They played a team that was backing up after 5 days and playing in extreme heat.
Round 5 v Manly - They will cop it doggy style from the Mighty Sea eagles

the dogs do have a quality team , no doubt - handful internationals , origin etc...

but last year they played good teams when it suited them...
luck of the draw , during origin duties...
they beat storm at mackay and all of a sudden they were the team to beat...the ball bounced their way most games . lets not forget the barba decoy plays that most times gained them 70m plus down field !!!

the reason they didnt beat storm in the GF was that no storm player got injured !!!

against us in the final jamie got injured 20mins into the game , against souths GF qualifier reynolds gets injured 20 mins in the game...LUCK !!!

i do fear them , only because i hate them so much and dont want to see DES be succesful .... yes there a good side but this year i believe all coaches have done their home work on their side line plays and wont be as deadly...

someone mentioned in a post that the team is missing unity , i can see that too ( i heard something from a nrl official behind the scenes about that earlier in the year but i have realised that its no good sharing rumours here because you get slammed ). even if were wrong and they are united , i just hope they lose every game they play...

i feel confident this week , but anything can happen..
i was so happy we beat them last year at ANZ i went and bought that ANZAC jersey we wore and will frame it one day !!!

I know one thing and that is that the dogs supporters HATE She-rex lol. Reading the hate on the kennel was bringing a smile to my face.

T-Rex has a few really good games each year and I'm concerned that next Friday against his old club will fire him up and actually play to his potential, hope I'm wrong

If the Dogs keep getting 'touched up' by the teams at the top of the ladder, and only lose by a try with key players missing, then surely that suggests they won't be far off it

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8